• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Bonds verdict, what it could mean for cycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the delgados said:
"Probably they aren't, because, as incredible as this may be to believe, Bonds is less likeable than Lance."

Very true. And after years of investigation and millions of dollars spent, they managed to get Bonds on one count.

Consider that the vast majority of the American public thinks Armstrong is a hero.

Good luck finding 12 people willing to convict.

Methinks the Jury may find itself in a fool me once scenario.

Once the misdeeds are laid out in front of them, they will appreciate how they have been conned and deceived. They will not want the burden of the shame that comes with 'Fool Me Twice'.

Unlike Barry, Lance has an extensive pattern across a broad range of activities.

Not that the SCA case will be appealed, but Bonds' evasiveness cannot hold a candle to Lance's 'I don't remember, I don't recall, what part of I don't remember don't you understand' deposition rank in comparison? Bonds was evasive once. Then there are the outright lies like his relationship with Tailspin (sic) Sports.

Lance was downright hostile, and blatantly lying.

The Jury may think that Barry is an angel once even a portion of the truth about Lance is exposed.

A: How many times do I have to say it?

A: How clear is that?

A. I'm a -- are you done with this?

A. Why would I call somebody to criticize them for saying I dope, and then say we all dope? That's ridiculous.

etc.

Dave.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Two recent stories that reflect the current climate.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=macgregor/110418
In fact, one assumes the lion's share of the government budget for the investigation went to pay Novitzky's dry cleaner.
So the fact than an assumption exists appears to be the actual "fact." :rolleyes:
-------------------------

NPR has a new story with an old story thrown in from a broken-record politician who we've heard from before.
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135507446/the-root-bonds-is-guilty-but-so-are-his-prosecutors
What bothers me is that you've got a very powerful federal government that has the money and time and resources to ruin someone's reputation," Rep. Jack Kingston of Georgia told The Associated Press

@D-Queued:

Keep in mind that Novitsky seemed to be the only person who wanted to see Bonds convicted.

As odious as Bond's is, the public doesn't seem to care that he broke the home run record by turning to drugs.

This is pure speculation, but I don't see a jury convicting a cancer-surviving "hero" for using drugs to win some obscure bike race in Europe.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
pleyser said:
The parallels between cycling and baseball's drug issues never have been
so apparent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=bryant/110413

Both sports have:

-distinctly tainted eras
-athletes who have confessed PED use
-athletes who will deny PED use to their last breath
-records and accomplishments that will have asterisks in the court of public opinion

If Lance is ever indicted, I wonder if he will have a Greg Anderson who holds the truth, but would rather spend time in prison than testify.

in general perhaps but if you are trying to imply that the US Postal/lance case will be anything like the Bonds case you havent been following

TRENDING THREADS