• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Red Bull - Bora - Hansgrohe team thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hindley is a better GC rider than Vlasov - I'll also add that if hindley does not do the giro then he will leave the team - Jayco are very interested.
Does Hindley really want to do the Giro that much? Just so he can be team leader? I can understand him wanting to go to the Tour as team leader but that wont happen now that Roglic is there.
Maybe Jayco (& the Saudi money) can persuade Hindley if they promise him Tour leadership.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Uijtdebroeks and Vlasov at giro. Even if they don't like each other, I don't see a big problem. Perhaps one of them can push for the podium this way. One of them won't be in the team 2025 anymore. Uijtebroeks will probably leave.
Would be so dumb of Bora to let Uijtdebroeks leave. Maybe it'll be a money thing, but otherwise it wouldn't make any longterm sense. They got him very early, ewre able to surround him well with the right goals and trainers, and if he's able to ride top 3-5 this year in the Giro, they've got a GT win contender in 2025.

Roglic has maybe 1-2 seasons left in him to try to win the TDF, or other GT's. So letting Uijtdebroeks go, you'll have no one at that level in the 2026 season.

I think Uijtdebroeks wants to leave and Bora doesn't have the money to match UAE, Ineos or Visma. Denk would have sold him to another team if another team wanted to buy him out. He sounded like that in the interviews.
He still has to show that he can win Grand Tours, but next to Ayuso and Rodriguez he is the biggest talent at the moment.

Does Hindley really want to do the Giro that much? Just so he can be team leader? I can understand him wanting to go to the Tour as team leader but that wont happen now that Roglic is there.
Maybe Jayco (& the Saudi money) can persuade Hindley if they promise him Tour leadership.

Hindley wanted to ride the Giro in 2023 but bowed to the wishes of his team to ride the TDF - You send your second best GC rider to the second biggest GT - It's madness to send your 2 best GC riders to the same GT - Jayco have interest in Hindley but the question for them will be - Do you keep Yates or go for Hindley - I know my answer.

• Wow
Hindley wanted to ride the Giro in 2023 but bowed to the wishes of his team to ride the TDF - You send your second best GC rider to the second biggest GT - It's madness to send your 2 best GC riders to the same GT - Jayco have interest in Hindley but the question for them will be - Do you keep Yates or go for Hindley - I know my answer.
Jumbo sent their three best to same GT. UAE sent their two best to same GT.

You send your second best GC rider to the second biggest GT - It's madness to send your 2 best GC riders to the same GT

The Vuelta is a different kettle of fish to the Giro and the TDF - Yates was not considered by UAE two be their 2nd best GC rider at the time of the TDF.
Jumbo did send their 2 best GC riders to TdF in 2022 and they're going to do it again in 2024. So did many other teams in recent past. I guess WT teams are full of mad people. ;)

Hindley certainly didn't sound too unhappy about "having to do the Tour" in January

Public pronouncements are different to private thoughts - Hindley's preference for 2023 was to defend his Giro title from 2022 which is understandable - I doubt he will want to miss the Giro for a second consecutive year, especially if Bora send lesser riders.

Reactions: Cookster15
This is the year Bora have to go all-in at the Tour. IMO that means sending Roglic and Hindley as co-leaders. With Vlasov or Uijtdebroeks as mountain super domestique. Either one can go for GC in the Giro, so long as they are ready to go hard in a few Tour stages.
Think Bora will want to have a GC rider at the Giro - It seems pointless to send all your leading GC riders to support Roglic, especially as Bora have a good squad of climbers to support Roglic.

What strikes me when looking at the Bora roster for 2024, is how unbalanced they look. For me it looks like like 19 of their 29 riders are best at climbing. They have 3 decent sprinters which in my mind leaves 7 riders (Haller, Denz a.o) for everything else... For me it seems like they would have needed Politt like never before...
Similar imbalance applies to EF, except they don't even have half a sprinter besides Van den Berg.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Not True, After the Giro win Hindley said on serveral occasions that he wqants to go to the Tour no matter in wich Role.

Give me just one Quote on that!
When the 2023 Giro route was announced Hindley said it would good to do it being the current champ, but because of all the TT kms (which Hindley said did not suit him) they would wait for the Tour route announcement. In the end Hindley picked the Tour -

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ja...ce-route-might-never-be-as-good-for-me-again/
“But when I look at the route for the Tour as opposed to the Giro, I mean for sure it would be nice to go back to the Giro with the number one on the back and all that, but if I'm looking at it realistically then the Tour route is much more suited to me and maybe, might not ever be as good for me again.”

Thank you Bora for putting Rogla ahead of (potential) future. That would not be possible at Visma - Lease a Bike any more. Now lets go win some races! And hopefully for the 2024 season jerseys to look good.

No pressure!
As a fan I'm really happy that cian is not longer part of the team. The last month I never had a feeling that he would be staying anyways. Although this hurts Bora in the short-term for 24 they can now focus on winning with Roglic and giving riders a chance that could be part of the teams future and are also great guys (like Hindley). Also they have enough time to give their long term plans a new direction as they probably already have when it showed that you can't work with Cian. There's enough talent on the market for a team with money.

Reactions: pastronef