• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Red Bull - Bora - Hansgrohe team thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I also thought about Cian going to the Tour, since to my understanding he wouldn't be in the Mix for the podium bit clearly better than all other GC options at Bora. To my understanding it Dependance a bit on the amount of TT KM in the next Tour. I expect to See a lot there to get Remco in the Mix. But pure climbing ability the Tour should suit him well and for me he can hang on longest with the podium contenders from the Bora team.

In my opinion it depends a bit from Kämnas decision. He is rider Nr.1 in the Bora team due to his german background and offensive riding style and constant success in breakaways. So if he wants to go for GC then the Tour is no Option for him. But if he goes back to stage hunting I guess he will be the nunmber one captain in the Tour. So this decision will mainly decide which Focus they have in the first to GT's.

I also thought about Cian going to the Tour, since to my understanding he wouldn't be in the Mix for the podium bit clearly better than all other GC options at Bora. To my understanding it Dependance a bit on the amount of TT KM in the next Tour. I expect to See a lot there to get Remco in the Mix. But pure climbing ability the Tour should suit him well and for me he can hang on longest with the podium contenders from the Bora team.

In my opinion it depends a bit from Kämnas decision. He is rider Nr.1 in the Bora team due to his german background and offensive riding style and constant success in breakaways. So if he wants to go for GC then the Tour is no Option for him. But if he goes back to stage hunting I guess he will be the nunmber one captain in the Tour. So this decision will mainly decide which Focus they have in the first to GT's.
Although he is the best german in a german team Cian and Hindley are the two guys Bora will build around for next year. I think you are also underrating Hindley because of his crash would have come 3rd to 5th without that in the Tour imo. He has at the moment the highest ceiling from the Bora GC guys therefore a Giro win against the competition that could be there (Almeida, Thomas, Caruso, Carapaz, Yates). Cian is of course the leader they want to have for the mid-term. He's very consistent for his young age but a fight for a GT win is probably still 2 or 3 years away.

Kämna has to decide what he wants to do. He has now the trilogy at a very young age and attacking seems to be his natural style. But he's only 27 and is probably only entering his prime. Maybe he doesn't want to do the same things for the next 6 or 7 years. Besides going for GC I could also imagine him to go more for one day races. In the last two years he only raced one classic or semi-classic with Strade Bianche. Bora was very light in those races in the last two years so that could be additional goals for him if he doesn't want to be a GC rider. But I also disagree with you there a bit. i think he would be a good option for GC for the Tour. No one of the Boras will have any chance to do something again the best in the world, so they should try to get in the backend of a Top 10 with a rider that can learn something from this experince and for whom this is a worthwhile experiment.

A lot of unknown things in the mix. But i´ll make some suggestions.
In my opinion Bora should go in one GT all in and the best possibility for this is the giro. It´s early in the season so you can make a very good build up to this point, if the plan fails there are a lot more races where you can ride for results.
And the giro/tour double is not so likely. So there should be no Remco, Pogi or Vingegaard in. And if i remember right there is a chance that Roglic also wants to ride the tour together with vingegaard.

And all other possible GC Contenders are not that far away of the Bora Guys (Thomas, Arensman, Ayuso, Yates A., Yates S., Mas, Landa, Almeida, Vine, Rodriguez C., Bilbao, Gaudu).
Which one should start this project - i don´t know much about the route, but i´ll think they should start with two leaders. If there are a lot of TT km´s than one of them could be Vlasov, even if he had not the best 2023. If there are less TT km´s than maybe make a try with the young gun cian. The second rider could be Kämna if he wants to give the GC another try.

I´ll think hindley wants to give the tour another shot, after the crash this year. One or two guys as a support should be enough, because the only thing there can be, try to survive as a long as possible against the sharks.

In my opinion Higuita, Buchmann and Jungels are domestiques/road captains/stage hunters. Maybe Martinez will get the chance to ride for GC. Possible the vuelta or as a co leader at the giro.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Now that Primoz is on board, Bora is a team to watch all winter long.

Primoz‘ spirit will make the team better, from the first race of 2024 on.

Sadly I fear that Primoz won’t start his season before end of February, or beginning of March. But they have other interesting riders on board.

Uijtdebroeks will be super motivated, he probably wants to leave soon, and will want to show what he’s capable of.

Vlasov, the old, grumpy man, who never laughs, will be strong from the first race day on.

Hindley and Buchmann will love to work with Roglic, who will make them both better.

And you have guys like Haller, who already mentioned how much they are motivated by the arrival of Roglic. They want to be on Rog‘s Tour team at all cost.

I think everything is perfect for the team. Sagan‘s Roubaix, Hindley‘s Giro, and now everyone wants to take the next step.

Primoz probably will ride next TdF against Pogacar, Evenepoel and Vingegaard. Four riders, four teams - and only three of these riders can make the GC podium in Paris.

Of course, Vingegaard is the big favourite, but everything can happen.

How cool is that? Rog vs Pog vs Remco vs Vinge, and all these four are as strong as Lance Armstrong was. We haven’t had something like this for a very, very long time!…

It‘s like Eddy Merckx x4, Hinault x4, Indurain x4, Pantani x4, Armstrong x4, Contador x4, or Froome x4. Could make TdF of 2024 a perfect race. The course is rather boring, ok - but the stars still could make it an amazing race. :)

Vlasov, the old, grumpy man, who never laughs, will be strong from the first race day on.
The old grumpy man of 27 years old.

Hindley and Buchmann will love to work with Roglic, who will make them both better.
Where do you have all this information from? If there is one other Bora rider who should want/expect/deserve his own shot at leadership in most races, including a GT or two, it's Hindley.

The old grumpy man of 27 years old.

Where do you have all this information from? If there is one other Bora rider who should want/expect/deserve his own shot at leadership in most races, including a GT or two, it's Hindley.
Yeah, but Hindley will still need to gain experience before going for Tour win himself, I‘d say. He‘ll benefit from working with Roglic, I think…

Hindley and everyone else at Bora will be playing second fiddle to Roglic until the Tour. Nothing or nobody will be allowed to interfere. Bora have made a big bet with Roglic at the Tour and it'll be interesting to see who will be willing to be a domestique.
true and how the management (Edit: handles the situation will be interesting as well). The situation is a lot more manegeable if Roglic competes for the highest honors along the way, doing suicide pulls for a yellow jersey contender is a lot more fun than doing it to keep your man in the top 5 contention.

we shall see.

Last edited:
Yeah, the races Roglic does not do, but the whole team is going to revolve around him and that only makes sense.
Roglic generally has a light schedule before the Tour. There will be at least 6 WT one week stage races where Hindley / Vlasov / Ujitdebroeks can be team captains. Plus the Giro. Plus the Ardennes.
Plenty of opportunities to keep everybody happy, I think.

Roglic generally has a light schedule before the Tour. There will be at least 6 WT one week stage races where Hindley / Vlasov / Ujitdebroeks can be team captains. Plus the Giro. Plus the Ardennes.
Add in Martinez, plus Higuita and Kämna would expect a bit of freedom too. Even Schachmann if he makes a miraculous return to form, but that's unlikely. There are a lot of strong climbers that will need to be kept happy.

But they also need to have the Tour team together in some race situations and Rogla needs support in the races he goes to and all the good doms will be tagged on to Roglic's races. So HIndley can go to the giro fine, but might lack the support befitting of a former winner and possible odds favorite.

But yeah if managed correctly it shouldn't be a big issue. Management is hard though sometimes, especially if the results are less than you hoped for though.

It's already more or less clear, that they will send Uijtdebroeks. Denk also hinted that he sees Hindley more in the tour than in the giro for 2024.
So what's still open is what they are doing with Martinez, Vlasov and Kämna.
Vlasov ist the Perfect fit for the Giro next year. The course is very good for him. Thats not confirmed yet but some ibterviews already Point in this direction.

So hindley and roglic to the Tour, Vlasov and cian to the Giro - Vuelta again hindley and roglic?
What about Martínez - only a domestique? What about Kämna - Stage hunting? I think he Said in an Interview that his GC ambitions Are Not over yet. Maybe him as a third rider to the Giro (the amount of tt km would be good for him)
Higutia is Not a Captain for big Stage Races

Fall campaign Vlasov as a leader his Results this year were promising.
Schachmann, roglic, Higuita for the ardennes?

Reactions: Sandisfan and Roku
Vlasov is a great rider for hard mid mountain stages and short steep hills. He suffers in the heavy mountains. Just the opposite as Uijtdebroecks. The Giro seems promising for him, but even a Podium (depending on the opposition of course) should be hard to achieve.

I don't think Kamna makes any sense as a secondary or lesser leader in the pecking order for GC on this stacked Bora team. Roglic, Hindley, Cian and Vlasov are all better bets than him. He excels on a role similar to his 2022 Giro and 2023 Vuelta - stage hunter and top domestique. IMHO he brings in much more to the team by winning a stage / finishing three times at the podium on stages and pulling on critical stages for his leaders rather than an extremely lackluster 8th - 12th overall (probably his GC limit)

My pick would be:
Uijtdebroeks and Vlasov at giro. Even if they don't like each other, I don't see a big problem. Perhaps one of them can push for the podium this way. One of them won't be in the team 2025 anymore. Uijtebroeks will probably leave.
Roglic, Hindley, Martinez and Kämna for the Tour. Roglic clear leader, Hindley will try to stay in contention and help Roglic if he needs to. He still can get a good result that way without the pressure of 2023, if he is really really fit. Martinez should get some chances at other World Tours races but is a helper and stage hunter at the Tour. Same with Kämna.