• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Bora - Hansgrohe team thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think they had the option to buy the Visma team. They want to be owners, not just sponsor.
Plus you could argue its a long term thing, Visma might be at the peak of their performance journey and the only way as Ineos have shown is then down again.

With Bora it's a cleaner slate than Vismas position, from which to build up for the future and be the next dominant team.

Plus you could argue its a long term thing, Visma might be at the peak of their performance journey and the only way as Ineos have shown is then down again.

With Bora it's a cleaner slate than Vismas position, from which to build up for the future and be the next dominant team.

I wonder if Red Bull has to pay Bora-Hansgrohe for bigfooting their uniforms. (I don't care for this year's B-H kit anyway).

Agree about "clean slate" although having Roglic at his age means they need to perform now rather than build for the future...

Bora could be amazing this year, or not. Vlasov, Buchmann, Higuita, Jungels maybe D. Mart (I expect great things from him) and Schachman have underperformed somewhat in recent years.

Hindley, Kamna and Welsford are great, however.

Oct 29, 2023
Visit site
NWt Bora Racing Jacket. Women's S
Snug for my wife and expensive to return to across seas

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pretty nice articel from GCN with some new insights to the team.

Most of all Ralph Denk made a clear statement that they will not buy "Stars" in the summer because they are to expensive (Philipsen) or have a contract (Remco). They want to identify talents and develop them. Bora is in the final steps of starting a new U23 team which should fill the gap of the worldclass U19 team and the World Tour team.

Ralph Denk is also talking about the available spots in the team for new joiners, he mentioned that there a up to 8 spaces free.
So now its the big question which riders are leaving and which contracts will be renewed.

According to procyclingstats the following ten riders have a valid contract for 2025:

- Roglic
- Welsford
- van Poppel
- Adria
- Hajek
- Herzog
- Martinez
- Mullen
- Wandahl
- Maciejuk

There are some rumors about a already signed 3 year deal of Vlasov and Denk mentioned "good talks" with Hindley so i´ll think they are both save for the next season.

Laurance Pithie seems like a done deal as a new rider. Giulio Pellizziari (Bardiani CSF) was mentioned some months ago as a done deal.

There are some must do contract extensions:
- Meeus
- Kämna
- Sobrero
- Lipowitz
- Haller

Some should do extensions:
- Schachmann
- Jungels
- Zwiehoff
- Aleotti
- Denz
- Koch
- Gamper

Buchmann was linked to a french team (maybe Cofidis?) and in my opinion this would be perfectly fine for the team and the rider. Higuita has not the results he had back in 2022 and becaus of his size he is not a very helpful domestique. Maybe he would fit to Movistar?

Im not sure about the two german riders Palzer and Lührs. I would resign Palzer because i like him, but thats nearly the only reason. Lührs is a solide domestique, but i´ll think if the team wants to take the next step that it needs an uprgrad to such riders. Lührs clearly showed that one or two years in the U23 ranks are necessary for some riders.

Benedetti - i don´t know if he wants to ride another season, but i´ll think its his last season.

So there are 5 riders leaving (in my scenario) plus the one free spot from this year. Denk mentioned 6 to 8 new riders, so in my scenario all contract extensions happen. Maybe one of the riders have different plans or some of the riders are seen different by the team. If i had to choose two more riders i would choose Koch and Aleotti.

Who should join the team?
Pithie and Pellizziari as nearly done deals.
I would suggest Tim Torn Teutenberg and Mikkel Bjerg to adress some weaknesses in the actual team (riders for the cobbles and rouleurs).
One spot could potentially go to former members of the U19 team, the most promising riders are Pajur, Kockelmann and Schrettl.
One spot open for a climber/GC Rider - any suggestions?

A short update:

- GCN reports the Hindley will stay for a minimum of two more years
- Tratnik seems to be a done deal
- Bjerg extended his contract at UAE so he is off my list and replaced by the incoming transfer of tratnik
- Pellizziari is performing well at the tour of the alps, a solide climbing performance so far, i´m excited to see what he can show in the final stages and if he can secure a top 10 in GC

First thing they do with the Red Bull money is to build a strong classic team again.
Tratnik, Pithie, Meeus, Haller, Denz, Herzog and maybe Lazkano looks strong on paper.

I really like the addition of Pellizzari, he looks promising.
Haller is a underrated toughman sprinter after a hard one day race.
With his hockey background he can probably also beat you up while still pedaling at the same time.

Reactions: Sandisfan