• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I haven't really followed Ewan closely enough to understand his fall from grace. A few comments above suggesting why Ewan lost the plot. So what is the real reason he lost motivation? Saying he is such a useless rider and character isn't helpful.

2019 10 wins, including 3 TdF and 2 Giro wins
2020 7 wins, including 2 TdF wins
2021 6 wins, including 2 Giro wins and 2nd in MSR.

Then the wheels fell off. Why? You don't have a season like 2019 if you are a useless character. Hell, you don't get good enough to be a professional bike rider if you have a bad attitude. Not possible.

I haven't really followed Ewan closely enough to understand his fall from grace. A few comments above suggesting why Ewan lost the plot. So what is the real reason he lost motivation? Saying he is such a useless rider and character isn't helpful.

2019 10 wins, including 3 TdF and 2 Giro wins
2020 7 wins, including 2 TdF wins
2021 6 wins, including 2 Giro wins and 2nd in MSR.

Then the wheels fell off. Why? You don't have a season like 2019 if you are a useless character. Hell, you don't get good enough to be a professional bike rider if you have a bad attitude. Not possible.
My thoughts, alluded to above, is that he didn't recover well from his 2021 crash at the Tour, he started getting a bit gun shy, maybe lashed out in private at the team, which needed him to win to avoid relegation.

He still won 7 races in 22 but they were all minor, and I think he had surgery on his collarbone, there was some kind of dispute over the Commonwealth Games and the WC with Cycling Australia. Then De Lie started to get results and maybe Ewan felt disrespected. There must have been a lot of tension and pressure on the team.

Then he didn't come through at the Tour this year, where he had a sprint train. But Lotto was wrong in my book to publicly question his commitment after he dropped out. It degenerated from there.

It may have been a situation like Bennett's at QS, something that should have been handled in private played out in public. I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around.

I dunno, I've always been a fan because he's such an improbable physical specimen.

Abhorrent signing for Jayco, unless Lotto Dstny are paying him his money just to leave and Jayco are paying him peanuts.
Ewan did a great sprint in stage 4 of the 2023 Tour. Made Philipsen work for it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFFdxDgCP2s

He clearly still has the level. Was probably rotting away at Lotto ...now he's back on an Aussie team.

Looks like a good signing to me.

I am very interesting about the Walscheid - Ewan duo tho. Huge and small together. Already spammed Lelangue with tweets back in the day when Walscheid came free to get him as a leadout, think he can be massive in that role.

On the other hand, I still simply think Ewan isn't made for modern chaotic sprints. He can do better than what he's showed today cause most of it were mental (scared and just not motivated) issues, his last 50m acceleration is still there.

This is a Jerry Ryan signing. Initial contact made with jerry who then passed it on to the management team at Jayco who ticked it off. This is how Bling got back to Jayco.
Gerry not Jerry.

100% agree this take on how Ewan ended back at Jayco, Ryan and Ewan have always had a good relationship so it would be no surprise that Ewan and his management contacted Ryan directly.

Reactions: Cookster15 and xo 1
Interesting that the TDU organizers wasted no time in announcing Ewan as a marquee rider for the event which is no surprise as he is Australian and he has the third most stage victories with 9. The organisers were disappointed that Lotto Dstny declined the invitation in 2023 and therefore Ewan worked without a team - At least this time the TDU informed Jayco about the press release unlike S.Yates in the 2023 edition.

Reactions: xo 1 and Sandisfan
I am very interesting about the Walscheid - Ewan duo tho. Huge and small together. Already spammed Lelangue with tweets back in the day when Walscheid came free to get him as a leadout, think he can be massive in that role.

On the other hand, I still simply think Ewan isn't made for modern chaotic sprints. He can do better than what he's showed today cause most of it were mental (scared and just not motivated) issues, his last 50m acceleration is still there.
I agree, Walscheid could be the man who makes a difference. He is super good on almost all distances as long as they are flat, and seems to have completely recovered from his bad crash of 2022 or 2023. Lots of slipstream for Caleb, and Walscheid himself can win hard sprints.

Nice to see Ewan win, as he did today. At the end of the day, he‘s still a likeable guy - though the way he abandoned the Tour last year was extremely disappointing.

Reactions: pastronef