• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cat Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
WE have had freezing temps and about 4 inches of snow on the ground for a while now. Kitty does NOT like this.

She runs to the back door, I open it, she sticks her nose out and runs back inside. Then she tries the front door, because of course there the sun is shining and it is warm, right? Same story again.

Eventually we throw her out (with increasing difficulty). We did that this morning and since then, after being outside about two minutes, she is doing her very best "We are not amused" act and refuses to have anything to do with me.

That will last until she gets hungry, which won't be long.

Susan

I think I understand why Kitty doesn't want to go out as I don't like the cold either. Does she have to?

usedtobefast said:
Kitty needs her "monkey" time too. just like we do.:)

Absolutely! She plays a lot more in the winter, you can tell she is not getting her exercise outside.

And today is her "birthday". We adopted her exactly six years ago today (also a Saturday). I can still remember how she jumped into my arms as if to say, you are my family, I have chosen you.

Susan

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
WE have had freezing temps and about 4 inches of snow on the ground for a while now. Kitty does NOT like this.

She runs to the back door, I open it, she sticks her nose out and runs back inside. Then she tries the front door, because of course there the sun is shining and it is warm, right? Same story again.

Eventually we throw her out (with increasing difficulty). We did that this morning and since then, after being outside about two minutes, she is doing her very best "We are not amused" act and refuses to have anything to do with me.

That will last until she gets hungry, which won't be long.

Susan

laugh.gif

You get a wife, you get a house
Eventually you get a mouse

You get some words concerning mice
You get a kitty in a thrice

At 3 AM, or thereabouts
The mouse is in, the cat is out

It dawns on you, in your cot
The mouse is silent, the cat is not

Instead of pussy, says your spouse
We should have got another mouse.

How about greatest feats by your pet cat?
Picture this... our cat was buds with our neighbors dog. They'd play and nap together. One day they got into a fierce game of tag. Cat tags dog. Dog gives chase... both heading headlong at about 45 degree angle to the side of our house (no fences between yards), which was bordered with big chip bark (not great for traction). About 5 feet from the house the cat, at full speed, leaps up, turns sideways in the air, plants all 4 on the side of the house, and harmlessly springs away. Dog now sees house approching quickly, tries to apply the brakes on the bark. Bark flies everywhere and bam, slams into the house. Dog walks off shaking head, unable to walk straight.

A black and white long hair adopted us (probably because i put out remnants of steak, salmon, turkey, chicken etc) and she has a fave spot in the front garden exposed to the dumb mutts running loose. They never seem to learn, the dumb mutts, and see her, charge at her and she just sits as they lope and rumble across the street, get close, closer, closer and she holds out the right paw, claws extended and hits them square in the nose, eyes, mouth, whatever she can hit and off they go howling like little children. She puts her dead rats and mice out in the rain as she sits in her padded/heated shelter and stares at them. She is doing what I always wanted to do to my competitors in business.

shawnrohrbach said:
A black and white long hair adopted us (probably because i put out remnants of steak, salmon, turkey, chicken etc) and she has a fave spot in the front garden exposed to the dumb mutts running loose. They never seem to learn, the dumb mutts, and see her, charge at her and she just sits as they lope and rumble across the street, get close, closer, closer and she holds out the right paw, claws extended and hits them square in the nose, eyes, mouth, whatever she can hit and off they go howling like little children. She puts her dead rats and mice out in the rain as she sits in her padded/heated shelter and stares at them. She is doing what I always wanted to do to my competitors in business.

... I love it when cats KNOW they have the upper hand... er, paw.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Absolutely! She plays a lot more in the winter, you can tell she is not getting her exercise outside.

And today is her "birthday". We adopted her exactly six years ago today (also a Saturday). I can still remember how she jumped into my arms as if to say, you are my family, I have chosen you.

Susan

The first few years I had my cat she was extremely shy. If I had guests she would hide under my bed till they left and it would take several visits before she'd stay in the same room with someone. It didn't occur to me till just a couple years ago that when I saw her for the first time(picking her up from an unhappy home) she came up and rubbed her cheek against my hand. She must have sensed I was the way to go. God, I miss her. Happy birthday to your cat, Susan.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I had to invest in a new set of winter cycling tights recently, Tonks our eldest little monster destroyed my last set. She obviously loved the soft merino inner layer but was none too enamoured of the chamois and clawed it too bits. I won't grudge her them but they now appear to be her bed!

She was very very timid and still is to an extent, she was the very last of a litter and while maybe not mistreated, she certainly wasn't shown any affection as a very young kitten.

The face rubbing is sweet but at three in the morning can be a bit annoying!

hey, I've been around cyclingnews for over two years and just now discovered the Cat Thread! Just goes to show you what you might overlook...We have a very sweet Tabby that adopted my boys 9 years ago...she was a barn cat for the first 5 months of her life, so is shy but the nicest cat there is. She can climb a vertical 6 ft ladder on a loft bed, no problem. So will post an obligatory photo when I figure out how to do it on here....
Oh yeah, when I come home after a ride she loves to sniff my bike tires.
cheers

TRENDING THREADS