• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Chicken will confess today

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cookster15 said:
That's not how I recall it. Evans was 3+ minutes down when Rasmussen got pulled after the Aubisque stage. Without the dope I doubt if Rasmussen would have been within 3 minutes. Until 2007 Rasmussen was just KOM stage hunter, nobody considered him a serious GC threat. I remember that Tour well and Evans was suffering like a dog to hang with Rasmussen and AC in the mountains - particularly the Pyrenees. In fact of those 3 he was the only one who looked absolutely stuffed at MTFs. If Evans was doping then he was on low grade fuel. Even in their MTB days Evans never gave Chicken a 2nd thought. Then in 2007, whoa! In fact, in hindsight, Chicken's sudden rise seemed remarkably similar to Bernard Kohl's in the following year.

How I remember it was seeing AC and MR attacking each other savagely and repeatedly in the big ring between the ski village Gourette and the summit on the Aubisque. Evans blown out the back after the second attack. I've ridden that climb and the speed those guys were going and the way they were playing with each other was "otherworldly".

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
idu2.jpg

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Has the chicken spoken about Bjarne Riis?

In an interview with danish TV2 Claus Hembo, of Christina Watches, was asked if Michael Rasmussen has told anything about his former teammates and Bjarne Riis as sports director.

- Michael has the answer to everything he has been asked. But Michael can not comment on other teams, and neither can I, in relation to the agreement with Wada. But I can do it myself put two and two together. And think about what you would have asked if you were anti-doping authority, said Hembo...

To be continued...I hope

Great! I hoped for this since they immolated, blacklisted and punished him like a felon, although in fact he never had a positive test or a relationship to an investigation like Basso, Contador and Vinokoerov! (I know he tested positive for dynepo later on).

It seems like he really did a fully confession at all. Hopefully he has spoken out far-ranging. Not just about Rabobank and his teammates like Mentsjov and Boogerd. But also about the whole Humanplasma story in which he was involved. Maybe he even mentioned some biathletes.

I definitely got some respect for the chicken now. If the rumors are true this is the one and only earnest doping confession I could remember since maybe Emanuele Sella. Good that Rasmussen especially admitted to have kept on doping until 2010 in place of this "I got clean after 200x" film-flam of Leipheimer & co

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
Watching a post interview with him. He still can't say too much about how and who but he's dead honest.
Watching the same interview. I've got the same impression. Humble. Dead honest, speaking with a newfound confidence. Says he wanted the truth to come out from his lips, not through the internal Rabobank report. Says he wants his seven-year old son to be able to enter cycling without having to face the choices he had to face.

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I watched the interview too. I don't know if MR suddenly has become a dead honest man, but according to Morten Mølholm Hansen, Development Manager at DIF and member of the Anti Doping Denmark's board of directors,
"Michael Rasmussen has given us a detailed and exclusive insight into an otherwise closed world."

I bet Bjarne Riis' pants have something more than legs in them right now ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
JB is sitting on a substantial amount of information about dopers, pushers, doctors etc. Much more information than what the Chicken can deliver. However as more and more dopers confesses, JB's information devalues daily. Expect a book shortly.

we might as well win the sequel

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Herman Ram (head of Dutch ADA) @ Dutch radio 1: "I am strongly convinced Rasmussen tried to tell us everything he knows"

Ram speaks about "additions and nuances to already known facts", but also "connections [between persons] we did not previously make".

Having followed his career fairly closely, my feeling tells me he spilled his guts to the authorities. It seems that way from his statement, the reduced ban, and his personality. While he's no hero to me, I appreciate his telling the truth and apologizing and saying he would try to make amends. It's going to be interesting to see where this all leads.

So much for LA's statement in the interview with Dan the other day:

CN: Does TRC need to provide a complete amnesty?

Armstrong: Of course otherwise no one will show up. No one.

No one but a chicken that is.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
I dunno. The guy turns 39 in June and he has zero chance of racing WT. TRC can't offer him much.

TRC offers the ability to stay in the sport in some capacity.

Rasmussen is looking at a 2 year ban then a return as a DS. Not to be sniffed at.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's good that Rasmussen told the truth about his doping, and did not try to hide parts of it. However, let's remember that Rabobank is coming down right now, so the timing of his admission is no coincidence. It reminds me of the Team Telekom confessions - welcome, but not exactly "voluntarily".

With every new confession, it becomes clear that there has to be truth and reconciliation, and it has to offer something for current riders. It's simply unsustainable that someone like Rasmussen admits to doping throughout his entire career, but the likes of Schleck, Contador, Wiggins, Evans, Vino et al. are somehow being celebrated as clean athletes. I hope that cycling can set an example for other sports.

TRENDING THREADS