• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The 'Chloe Dygert-Owen is a Phenomenom' Thread

So... after clearing the table in Colorado back in August, she smashed her way to the ITT World title, gobbling up approximately a million riders on her way.
What does the future hold for this young lady who - according to some sources - aren't exactly that good in the bunch?

Reactions: Sestriere
She's a track rider at this point, so it seems a bit unfair to say "not good in the bunch." She won Colorado like Remco, basically riding solo TTs. I suppose she could slug it out on the road race circuit, but let's be honest here: There's very little money and even less glory in women's road racing, especially in the US. Winning a track gold medal or 3 in Tokyo -- where she'll have exposure on the world's biggest sporting television stage -- is a very honorable and realistic goal. And there are plenty of riders who like the challenge of going against the clock better than banging handlebars.

(I'd also love to see Ashton Lambie have a crack at WT-level ITTs also...he would probably crush any sub-10k flattish GT prologue)

She's a track rider at this point, so it seems a bit unfair to say "not good in the bunch." She won Colorado like Remco, basically riding solo TTs. I suppose she could slug it out on the road race circuit, but let's be honest here: There's very little money and even less glory in women's road racing, especially in the US. Winning a track gold medal or 3 in Tokyo -- where she'll have exposure on the world's biggest sporting television stage -- is a very honorable and realistic goal. And there are plenty of riders who like the challenge of going against the clock better than banging handlebars.

(I'd also love to see Ashton Lambie have a crack at WT-level ITTs also...he would probably crush any sub-10k flattish GT prologue)
I think tokyo 2020 schedule allows her to participate and win the road ITT too ;)

She's definitely more than track rider but you have a point about the women's circuit in the US.

Mar 10, 2009
Don't usually follow anything other than the Elite males, but yesterday happened to watch the Elite women and was quite impressed by Chloe's ride. Very impressive.

She's definitely more than track rider but you have a point about the women's circuit in the US.
I was exaggerating a bit, but this article (the second half) makes the point that her pack experience is limited and she's at her best riding solo. That reminds me a a bit of a certain young buck who finished second in the men's elite TT today. https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/state-of-the-nation-analysing-usa-womens-world-championships-team/

Actually, after reading it, I wonder if the US strategy ought to be sending CDO up the road at the 30.4 km mark :), forcing the field to chase and hope that Rivera can sit on and save energy for a sprint if Chloe can't hold them off on her own. Am deffo going to watch the women's race now...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS