• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the christmas thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi There!
Im new in this site!
The only tradition I have is a visit on Xmas eve to my favourite bar where I take along a couple of bottles of wine as a thank you for service and together with one of the owners we sit down and have a pretty good night.
I hope I can have more friends here!
Im happy to be part of this community!
just keep on posting Guys!
Thanks!
Good Luck!

HL2037 said:
What exactly is eggnog?

I want you to know that my 81-year-old mother typed this up and mailed it to me, just for you!

In one mixing bowl beat 12 egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff and set aside. In another bowl whip 1 pint of heavy cream and set aside. In a very large bowl beat 12 egg yolks .

When they are thick and lemony looking start adding sugar slowly, one and a half cups in all continue to beat constantly. When batter is thick and smooth start adding brandy or cognac, a litle at a time, beating constantly. It takes a fifth of cognac and if you ad it too fast at first it will curdle the egg yolks.

When all the brandy has been added, pour in 1 pint of good dark rum and beat until thoroughly mixed. Turn mixer to low speed and pour in 1 pint of regular cream and 1 quart of whole milk. When all is well blended remove beater and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites and cream together till smooth.
To serve ladle into mugs, or cups aor small glasses dust top wtih grated nutmeg. In theory it should ripen ovenight, but nobody ever turns down a sample as soon as it is ready.

My brother and I made this several years. We always had to test the products along the way, so to speak......

It should sit overnight before you drink it, but we could never wait.

Susan

PS: I understand you can also make eggnog without the booze, but I fail to see the point in that.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Susan, I am deeply honoured, please bring your mother my most heartfelt thanks!

I think we are going to have to try this recipe, even if it means that we will get very drunk and gain several kilos. :)

christmas-bike-present-cartoon-navidad-regalo-bici.jpg

We ran across this rather incredible song this fall. Written by Bill and Tammy Danoff, recorded (and you have to wonder why) by John Denver and Alan Jackson:

Daddy Please don't get drunk again this Christmas

"Please Daddy don't get drunk this Christmas
I don't want to see my Momma cry
Please Daddy don't get drunk this Christmas
I don't want my Momma cry

Just last year when I was only seven
Now I'm almost eight, as you can see
You came home a quarter past eleven
And fell down underneath
our Christmas tree

Mama smiled and looked
Outside the window
She told me son
You better go upstairs Then you laughed and hollered
"Merry Christmas"
I turned around and saw
My Momma's tears
Chorus
No,I don't want to see my Momma cry

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
quadsRme said:
I like christmas, but it should be like the olympics, once every 4 years please:D

Or, celebrate Christmas only during leap years.

I appreciate Christmas for the time I spend away from work. Otherwise, it's not my top pick holiday. And don't get me started on Christmas cards and parties - especially the corporate kind. Any ensuing discussion will not be pretty.