• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Climb (Froome's first autobiography)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
gooner said:
The irony in relation to Contador.

This is a guy who plays the victim card while a positive was hanging over him, tells Kimmage in a press conference he has consistently spoken up for clean cycling during his career, puts up 7 fingers to signal himself as a 7 time GT winner after the final stage of the Vuelta in Madrid, and tells the media he has always been surrounded with people in his teams that are against doping.

There is no positive spin that can be done with the above. If Froome said these "lies and fabrications", the same Contador fans who decry everything that Froome says and that have no problem with these previous comments from Contador, would be on top of this like a ton of bricks with their huge outcry.

The quote I mentioned couldn't be more appropriate.

Want to talk hypocricy. Here's how you described Contador's partners at Ufe's doping clinic

They're a special group of players who should be applauded for what they have achieved and to keep those high standards up for 3 consecutive tournaments running, is no mean feat

Doping. Only bad amongst cyclists right?

Anyway yes, Contador's a lying mother****er. Ive attacked him for that on here loads of times, more than you for sure.

But my post seems to have flown over your head. Froome has actually released a book. A book. After 1 year at the top, filled with these insults and fabrications.

Thats quite a step higher than telling some local magazine read by 10 people that you didn't dope.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Mishrak said:
Contador is actually likable and fun to watch. Froome is just a self-entitled nerd on an ego trip and a TUE to use banned substances.

That's a rather radical opinion,there are a lot of people who don't like Contador but don't come here to brag about it .And i don't see how Contador fans are the right people to come in to cry about Froome doping.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Can you just imagine? David Walsh's head must be imploding!

Froome might be a Barbbus as well?!!
Greg Henderson ‏@Greghenderson1 5m

@broomwagonblog I can Jam some Blues notes no problems for you my friend. Just dont write a book and cry about me being off key.

Good tweet Henderson :cool:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:

This is a guy who plays the victim card while a positive was hanging over him, tells Kimmage in a press conference he has consistently spoken up for clean cycling during his career, puts up 7 fingers to signal himself as a 7 time GT winner after the final stage of the Vuelta in Madrid, and tells the media he has always been surrounded with people in his teams that are against doping.

Victim card? Ironically he is a victim of the system, but never heard him blame that, or anyone for that matter.

Yes, he has won 7 GT's. Just as LA did the erased Tours he won.

He never said that to media, but on the CAS hearing. Agree, it was hilarious.
There is no positive spin that can be done with the above. If Froome said these "lies and fabrications", the same Contador fans who decry everything that Froome says and that have no problem with these previous comments from Contador, would be on top of this like a ton of bricks with their huge outcry.

The quote I mentioned couldn't be more appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Where did Contador lie about the above? Sainz got busted when he was almost a neo pro, JB went with LA with the ridiculous comeback, Riis admitted years ago.

We know he has a brain condition that required surgery, asthma (we've never seen him puff before a 'big effort' though, funny that), and no one denies he has been doping. (Still think the Clen was a set up, but wrong thread)

Froome comes out of nowhere, literally, dominating these riders, with the insulting talk of 'marginal gains', while looking like the worst thing ever on a bike, spinning the pedals faster than Lance did. While seated. On a climb.

Writing a BS book just before the Tour, slamming not only his current and ex teammates but also his competitors. Having a mental other half on twitter.

So choosing between the riders that are doping, I'm firmly in the classy looking style, always attacking and never give up attitude rider than the joke Froome is, who stares at his stem most of the time and lies blatantly.

But that's just me ;)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Want to talk hypocricy. Here's how you described Contador's partners at Ufe's doping clinic

Doping. Only bad amongst cyclists right?

Sigh.

Context. The Cafe not the Clinic.

That was a discussion on Spain's achievements where some(like yourself) were playing it down and others were saying it was the death of tiki-taka. I disagreed with that and put my point as to why they succeeded in the past and why they failed in this tournament. Interestingly, you never mentioned anything about doping playing a big part in their success in your own post which was one of the posts that initiated my response in the quote that you mention above(BTW it was far a longer post as well). You know full well it was entirely a non-doping related discussion.

I had a disagreement on twitter on this with Graham Hunter who covers Spanish football closely and was a correspondent on Spain for UEFA and FIFA in those Euro and World Cup success. I hope all this comes out in relation to Fuentes with football and the blood bags getting destroyed stinks. I have been critical of Sociedad on this forum and the British media for failing to question John Toshack. Likewise Juventus in the Clinic after that Dutch documentary last year. I also highlighted why the French Senate were announcing the 98 positives and weren't disclosing anything in relation to football after they interviewed Deschamps. I can post links to these posts if you wish. Only a few days back I criticised the differing reaction to cortisone and painkilling use in football compared to what we see in cycling. To come to the conclusion that I'm somehow not against doping in football couldn't be further from the truth.

The bulk of Spain's success has been based mainly on the Barca players and this is a team that bounced Arsenal out of the Champions League two seasons running in 2010 and 2011. The Le Monde article was out in 2006 with Barca links to Fuentes, they same year they beat Arsenal in the Champions League. To then say as an Arsenal fan that I would be ignorant to these guys possibly doping themselves to the gills is absurd

If I discuss Contador, F.Schleck, Valverde or Luigi in the PRR section, it's done in relation to their cycling ability and predicting how they do in a race. If there's a thread discussing Cancellara's achievements on the cobbles and I'm a part of it, it's done in a non-doping related discussion. That's context and is similar to the the World Cup thread in the Cafe.

Anyway yes, Contador's a lying mother****er. Ive attacked him for that on here loads of times, more than you for sure.

I wasn't even referring to you anyway.

But my post seems to have flown over your head. Froome has actually released a book. A book. After 1 year at the top, filled with these insults and fabrications.

Thats quite a step higher than telling some local magazine read by 10 people that you didn't dope.

I don't care if it's Froome with one year at the top and a book or Contador at the top for a longer spell. That doesn't mean anything in analysing what lies they spout. Contador's answer to Kimmage was done in front of the world's media at the Tour pre-race press conference. I suppose his 7 finger GT winner salute crossing the line in the Vuelta in Madrid was done in front of 10 people too.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
MBotero said:
That's a rather radical opinion,there are a lot of people who don't like Contador but don't come here to brag about it .And i don't see how Contador fans are the right people to come in to cry about Froome doping.

Agree.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
You mean in a doping forum one can't discuss doping? Regardless of the rider?

Why?

If you're a Contador fan who has no problem with him smashing it during his successes while doping, I don't think you're in a credible position to open your mouth calling out Froome.

I'll say it again, the Contador's fans aren't against doping or even interested in discussing it constructively, their only agenda is that they guy and team they're speaking out against, has stopped their boy from winning.

No doubt about it next month, if Froome hammers it, watch the outcry from them about how ridiculous it is, and then if Contador does similar it's something to go off into the sunset and celebrate.

gooner said:
If you're a Contador fan who has no problem with him smashing it during his successes while doping, I don't think you're in a credible position to open your mouth calling out Froome.

I'll say it again, the Contador's fans aren't against doping or even interested in discussing it constructively, their only agenda is that they guy and team they're speaking out against, has stopped their boy from winning.

No doubt about it next month, if Froome hammers it, watch the outcry from them about how ridiculous it is, and then if Contador does similar it's something to go off into the sunset and celebrate.

Who are these "Comtador fans" you speak of?

How does one delineate between a "Contador fan" and one who is not?

I'm not really following your logic here. This is just a Bushism, either you're with us or against type of thing. Not very constructive to be honest.

I think you're just making up a faux faction of people to appease your own support of Froome, yes?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
gooner said:

On a forum you can discuss what you like and hold any position you desire, as long as it's within the rules.

Ranting at others who hold a different position to yours and suggesting they are not allowed to post is pretty darn funny, imo.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
red_flanders said:
For me they're both dopers, so it's a matter of who's riding and racing style I prefer. For me it's Contador.
I concur 100%. Cycling should be beautiful. Froome's crime is having a pedal stoke like a concrete mixer and climbing like a 80 year old pushing a shopping trolley. Far bigger crimes than doping IMO.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:

The quote I mentioned couldn't be more appropriate.

Don't waste your time, Gooner. You know what your dealing with.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
red_flanders said:
For me they're both dopers, so it's a matter of who's riding and racing style I prefer. For me it's Contador.

I know it makes some folks feel better to assume anyone rooting for Contador and bagging on Froome is a hypocrite, but quite frankly that's a lot of horse manure.

There would be little discussion of Froome if he and his team and his fans weren't all hell-bent on convincing the world they're doing it clean. People don't like being lied to, and they react to that.

Contador is doping but he's not shoving "I'm clean" in my face every day. Froome is doping and he and Sky and his girlfriend and his fans are shoving "I'm clean" in my face every day.

That's the main difference. The other matter is that I personally find Contador to be a great bike racer, not just a guy with a huge engine. For me that's more entertaining.

Contador has thrown the clean card before lying out through his teeth with a big FU to the sport crossing the line that day in Madrid to win the Vuelta. You go on about "not liked being lied to" as a stick to beat Froome with and then have a support base for a guy who has done it numerous times before. According to the above, Brailsford's and Froome's biggest mistake is that they weren't more like Riis and Contador. They would get an easier time. Baffling stuff.:confused:

gooner said:
Contador has thrown the clean card before lying out through his teeth with a big FU to the sport crossing the line that day in Madrid to win the Vuelta. You go on about "not liked being lied to" as a stick to beat Froome with and then have a support base for a guy who has done it numerous times before. According to the above, Brailsford's and Froome's biggest mistake is that they weren't more like Riis and Contador. They would get an easier time. Baffling stuff.:confused:

But what's your point?

The sport is full dopers and teams management who were dopers.

You appear to be blaming the clinic because Froome has been found out? Yes?

gooner said:

I don't think you're that confused, I think you just don't like it. I could be wrong. I've not said anything about Riis and I generally don't think nice things are said on this forum. So that's off-base.

I'm not saying Contador hasn't denied it, of course he has. However, I don't find Contador to be throwing it people's face at anywhere near the level that Sky/Froome do. I'd give it at least a 10-1 ratio. That's the source of 90% of the reaction to Sky/Froome, the assault on our collective intelligence.

Part of it may be language, I don't read as many Contador interviews. Part of it may be style. Contador comes from the era when everyone said "not doping" and everyone knew that was BS, but the person saying it knew that you knew what was up. Everyone understood and no one had to over sell it. So you don't feel as lied to.

There is a new generation of fans, many of whom started watching the sport when Armstrong or Sky came to prominence, and I think they have a different view. I think they have a much more black and white view of the sport, and need to believe that it can be done clean.

People who've been watching the sport from my generation long ago accepted that to be a top rider you needed to dope, and since we loved the sport for so many reasons, we keep watching. We love the beauty of the countryside, the color of the peloton, the pain and suffering of the sport, the speed and the danger. We love the history, the culture and the flags on the roadside, and the passion of the fans. We haven't decided to watch or not based on whether a rider dopes. Many find it silly to see the denials and those who take them seriously.

The proclamations of Armstrong and later Froome to their english-speaking fan base are just something people in the US and Britain haven't heard before. These guys didn't say they weren't doping with a wink and a nod, they have vehemently and powerfully denied their doping despite dozens of verifiable lies and incidents which point directly to their doping. Part of it was because that's who they are, but let's be honest, part of it is because that's what the english-speaking media and fan base needed to hear. People newer to the sport need these guys to be clean. I don't. I'd rather they were, but they almost never are. You have to enjoy the sport for what it is and hope it gets better. But don't be silly when you see someone making a mockery of things.

For a fan who has seen it all before it seems silly to believe these proclamations of cleanliness have all that much relevance. At some point everyone will see Froome for what he is/was. The details will be interesting, and already are.

Why did everyone love Indurain? Because he was truly tranquillo. Decent guy who doped. No over-the-top denials, no attacking other riders, just did what he did. You can judge him however you like, no worries. Froome NEEDS you to believe him. Armstrong NEEDED you to believe him. Needy sucks. Tranquillo doesn't. If those are my choices, it's easy.

TRENDING THREADS