• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The curse that is hayfever - best cures/remedies for you?

Alright, I know there are many of us who suffer from allergies on this forum, and all of us can agree it's a b*tch. It's a b*tch for sleep, work and just life in general, including cycling. Approximately 1/4 of us will develop it, some worse than others. So what I want to know is what do you do/ medicines do you use to suppress the devil himself's allergy?

Right now I'm using anti-histamines (classic), eye drops and nasal spray. They were working great until the start of this week, when I needed them most. Anyone got others, better?

Re: The curse that is hayfever - best cures/remedies for you

Brullnux said:
Alright, I know there are many of us who suffer from allergies on this forum, and all of us can agree it's a b*tch. It's a b*tch for sleep, work and just life in general, including cycling. Approximately 1/4 of us will develop it, some worse than others. So what I want to know is what do you do/ medicines do you use to suppress the devil himself's allergy?

Right now I'm using anti-histamines (classic), eye drops and nasal spray. They were working great until the start of this week, when I needed them most. Anyone got others, better?

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/irish-dentist-frank-dillion-on-his-unique-approach-to-tackling-hayfever-34743570.html

I have never suffered from hayfever, so have never used above advice.

I have fairly mild hayfever allergies, but for 50+ years I've used 1st generation antihistamine - Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4 mg.
I get it at Wal-Mart, their EQUATE brand, and it's called 'ChlorTabs' - inexpensive and usually on the lowest shelf.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I used to refuse to be on a prescription and just battle it when it happened but by then its already too late. except in the winter, I take allegra and use a nasal spray daily. It takes 15 seconds to get it done. An allergist told me that taking meds when you already have allergies is basically cleaning up spilled milk. too late to matter. You have to have antihistamines built up in your body. Allegra deals more with outdoor allergies so I'm told and it's at walmart generic AND it doesn't make you tired like benadryl. I just quit fighting it. ALSO, one of the biggest helps against colds and allergies is saline nasal spray. my sinuses are much clearer since I started using it. To use it effectively, you have to tilt your head back and squirt it deep into your nostril till you feel it dribble down the back of your throat. Just misting it only hits your nostril and doesn't clean out the area behind. all natural. I haven't had a cold in about 5 years and I suspect this is one of the reasons.

Jan 27, 2021
Visit site
I have also started taking an anti-histamine and nasal spray during the time of the year that my allergies are very bad, but I find it only works to an extent. The only thing I have truly found works for me is to live in another location to the one I am currently living in. Right now I am living in a wine farm region and a place filled with fynbos, all horrible for those of us prone to allergies.

I use azelastine nasal spray for seasonal allergies (a little spring bloom, and fall sage) and it works well for me. Systemic antihistamines make me feel funky.

Nobody 73, I don't know about having to have 'antihistamine build up' for it to work because I can use the spray on days that I need it and not on others.

I'm using Levocetirizin, doesn't seem to help much. Steriod nosespray seems to do a bit better. When it gets really bad at night I'm just using Otrivin, which is ok as long as I don't over use it... Whenever I exercise however those allergies don't bother me one bit.

Reactions: Andre

TRENDING THREADS