• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cycling Betting Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
Who are we going for for AGR? Kwia is 7/1, which is decent with the season he is having

I have him on 15/2 and Gerrans @ 14/1;)
Im worried that Gilbert will win,but it shouldnt happen:D

edit:Haas is an interesting outside pick,but imo there are too many teams willing to chase.

The Hitch said:
You are either trolling or being really stupid.

I said Wiggins wouldn't win. He didn't. He didn't come close to winning, he rolled over the line in 9th place and waved his hand in the air happy at a top 10.

Your bet was about winning. I told you there was no value in that bet. Not even Boonen, or Cancellara or Merckx or RDV won Roubaix on their first attempt, there was no value in betting on Wiggins to do it at 33/1.

I never said anything about top 10, and nor did you. You said you went for a bet on wiggins winning, gave a very stupid justification of making the bet, which btw was proven wrong today because Wiggins didnt manage to follow Cancellara's attacks like you claimed he would.

You lost the bet and you never even came close to winning it.

Any "I told you so", in this case comes from me to you and not the other way around. I wasn't going to do it, but since you brought it up - I told you so. Watch cycling for a few years and you might end up placing bets that actually have some value in them.

Wiggins has ridden Roubaix a few times to correct the highlighted

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
What bookies usually price up most of the decent races? I usually bet with William Hill and they only usually do the grand tours.

These:

http://www.oddschecker.com/

http://odds.bestbetting.com/cycling/

are good places to see which firms are doing upcoming races (and compare odds).

I mainly use Paddy and Betfair but others on here talk about Bet365 and others. Just look back a few pages for a similar Q & A.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Very hedgey but should make a small amount: e/w on Gilbert and Kwia. Decided I needed a random long range little punt and went for Nordhaug e/w - would require something to go wrong with Mollema I suppose but Nordhaug put in a great show last year.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
For the Mur I've taken Arredondo at 50 and Barguil at 200, both ew with PP.

I think Phil will win but is too short at 3/1. Can't believe Moreno is 2/1 even if he's a lot of people's favourite.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Just having a look at some of the prices for the Giro, one bet that sticks out is Matthews to take the points jersey at 11/1. With Kittel perhaps leaving after week 2 I think someone like Matthews could profit from this.

Man,I'm going to have a tough day today,all day trying to figure out the best odds:D
If you are good,GT is the best race how to make money bag, but that hard work:D

Aabout Mathews,I dont bet on risky stuff in stage races (only classics),but these 11/1 are solid,on the other hand I think Viviani and Nizzolo have the same chance so...

I'm thinking about doing some betting. My cycling knowledge should allow me to actually gain money with it.

Betting is something completely new for me. Gambling, betting usually is you lose more than you win. Else sites like Unibet wouldn't make money. Than again with good knowledge about a sport you could actually earn some money with it so I really think I should give it a shot.

My question is where should I do my betting? So I could use some advice regarding where I should go for my betting. The only betting site I know is Unibet, but I'm sure you guys know better sites or confirm to me that Unibet actually is a good betting site.
I'm from the Netherlands, not sure if that makes a difference, but I guess I should point it out.

Bet365 set the markets and are generally good for outrights.
PinnacleSports have the best odds on head to heads (they copy Bet365 markets).
Betfair allows you to trade but doesn't have enough activity outside the biggest races.

If you really want to hunt around there will be better odds here and there so you can add others like Paddypower, WilliamHill, Unibet, Sportingbet, BetVictor etc but Paddy don't offer ridiculous odds anymore :(

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I'm thinking about doing some betting. My cycling knowledge should allow me to actually gain money with it.

Betting is something completely new for me. Gambling, betting usually is you lose more than you win. Else sites like Unibet wouldn't make money. Than again with good knowledge about a sport you could actually earn some money with it so I really think I should give it a shot.

My question is where should I do my betting? So I could use some advice regarding where I should go for my betting. The only betting site I know is Unibet, but I'm sure you guys know better sites or confirm to me that Unibet actually is a good betting site.
I'm from the Netherlands, not sure if that makes a difference, but I guess I should point it out.

Right decision.:)You are right,they earn a load of money!On the other hand we should be able to win some money,they earn money on people who have good cycling knowledge,not great (we have :D).Cycling is pretty difficult to follow for bookies,there so many riders,teams, races,tactics,form peaks,schedules etc..IMO most of the bookmakers are not better than most of us here at CN forum as of knowledge.
As Ferminal said,Paddy,Betfair,Bet365 and Pinnacle are the best.As for me I only use one,bet365,they are pretty damn good.They do odds on smaller races like Criterium Internacional,Brabantse Pijl etc.

PaddyPower still offer rediculous odds. You should definitely get an account there.

Not to discourage you, but you wont just automatically make money because you have a good cycling knowledge. You could have a great cycling knowledge and still be a big loser.

There's a big difference between knowing a lot about cycling and actually being able to evaluate what odds a certain bet should have.

Hugo Koblet said:
PaddyPower still offer rediculous odds. You should definitely get an account there.

Not to discourage you, but you wont just automatically make money because you have a good cycling knowledge. You could have a great cycling knowledge and still be a big loser.

There's a big difference between knowing a lot about cycling and actually being able to evaluate what odds a certain bet should have.

I know cycling knowledge alone won't help.

Fat chance Quintana wins, but putting all your money on him is a bad idea because of poor odds and he can crash out, get sick etc etc. It's also about taking risks sometimes.

Anyways thank you all who took their time to respond to me.

Easy to think that with good knowledge you can beat the bookies. Rarely works like that unfortunately.

However, cycling can offer some good odds if you know what you're doing, but luck still plays a massive part.

Last season I was up about £40 from lots of little outside e/w bets just to add even more interest to races.

This season I've already spent that with just e/w bets for overall riding on Pozzo and Majka in the Giro left. If they come in, I'm back in profit, if they don't it's back to square one. C'est la vie.

Ultimately there is really only one rule in gambling. Never bet more than you're prepared to lose.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Orbit501 said:
Easy to think that with good knowledge you can beat the bookies. Rarely works like that unfortunately.

However, cycling can offer some good odds if you know what you're doing, but luck still plays a massive part.

Last season I was up about £40 from lots of little outside e/w bets just to add even more interest to races.

This season I've already spent that with just e/w bets for overall riding on Pozzo and Majka in the Giro left. If they come in, I'm back in profit, if they don't it's back to square one. C'est la vie.

Ultimately there is really only one rule in gambling. Never bet more than you're prepared to lose.
I dont agree,usually it works for me,cuz I do only safe bets on 'weird odds'.With exception of classics I never do outside betting (eve tho I had a good luck this spring,with Gerrans and Terpstra @21/1 respectively 29/1) and this won't change my attitude cuz outside bets are big risk and luck plays big part like you said:)

Today's TTT market is annoying for the each way terms

If this had proper each way terms then backing Movistar each way for 4 places at 1/4 odds at 9-1 would be the bet. As it is the each way terms offered, 2 places at 1/3 odds are a pile of cack in a 22 runner race.

TRENDING THREADS