• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The diminutive Bjorg Lambrecht thread *** R.I.P.***

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
No, it isn't clearly. Besides; isn't it usually in one-day races it pays to be aggressive, and GCs in pays to play it tactically?

I've further explained it in my last post on the first page. Can't add anything to that if it's still not clear then.
Don't want to keep repeating it or keep arguing about something that's done now. I have my opinion on the matter, you don't agree, that's fine.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Agree. And I think that if after 10-20 times of attacking, and no podium, then Lotto should consider - at the pre-race meeting - telling him that "Hey, Bjorg. Just... try to relax today. Maybe… time your attack a little better."

Thing is, he wasn't attacking with the purpose of getting on the podium. He attacked cause he "isn't good at crosswinds/echelons". That's where his team should come into play. I agree that he should be allowed to test out his legs, if, like you said, the purpose is getting onto the podium or better. He shouldn't be expending that type of energy just because he fears crosswinds and echelons. That, like today, is going to cost him some podiums or wins when it comes down to the small percentages needed to get on the podium or winning. That's just my opinion of course, being an armchair coach/rider and all... ;)

Re: Re:

Mavic said:
RedheadDane said:
Agree. And I think that if after 10-20 times of attacking, and no podium, then Lotto should consider - at the pre-race meeting - telling him that "Hey, Bjorg. Just... try to relax today. Maybe… time your attack a little better."

Thing is, he wasn't attacking with the purpose of getting on the podium. He attacked cause he "isn't good at crosswinds/echelons". That's where his team should come into play. I agree that he should be allowed to test out his legs, if, like you said, the purpose is getting onto the podium or better. He shouldn't be expending that type of energy just because he fears crosswinds and echelons. That, like today, is going to cost him some podiums or wins when it comes down to the small percentages needed to get on the podium or winning. That's just my opinion of course, being an armchair coach/rider and all... ;)

Even if he was just attacking for a bit of fun, let him have that fun. It's not as if fourth is a bad result for a guy doing his only second FW. There are probably guys who'd give their left leg for a result like that!
Which, would in turn make getting a result like that somewhat difficult…

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Mavic said:
RedheadDane said:

Even if he was just attacking for a bit of fun, let him have that fun. It's not as if fourth is a bad result for a guy doing his only second FW. There are probably guys who'd give their left leg for a result like that!
Which, would in turn make getting a result like that somewhat difficult…

I disagree. Firstly, the fact is, he wasn't attacking for fun, he, and the team, actually wanted to get onto the podium, one look at his twitter comments post-race will tell you that. He attacked with the sole purpose of not being an "expert" at crosswinds/echelons. With that in mind, they could have resolved this "problem" in a different manner that wastes less energy than an attack imo. If he was in the same stage of his career as Evenepoel then sure.

Secondly, with Quickstep pretty much dominating the spring and Sky dominating the GT's the chances for other smaller teams to get results are slim and they ought to make the most of every opportunity they get. Lambrecht seems to be the Lotto rider with the most chances of getting a results in these types of courses, especially the chance to get onto the podium, or more. So naturally he, and his team, should race smartly in that regard. That's just how I see it of course.

He attacked to see if it would work, it didn't quite - but wasn't a total failure either - important lesson learned.
And note that I didn't say he attacked for fun, but that even if he had been that would be okay? As it stands there was a tactical reason for his attack, a failed tactical reason, but a tactical reason none the less.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
He attacked to see if it would work, it didn't quite - but wasn't a total failure either - important lesson learned.
And note that I didn't say he attacked for fun, but that even if he had been that would be okay? As it stands there was a tactical reason for his attack, a failed tactical reason, but a tactical reason none the less.

The fact that it was a lesson to be learned indicates that it was a tactical error, which was the whole point to begin with. As far as attacking for fun goes, I never said you were implying he did, I just went along with your supposition in order to give my opinion on it.

I guess I just live by the theory of The riders probably know what they're doing, and if what they're doing fails, they might do something else next time.
But the point of the matter is that we don't know how he would have ended up if he hadn't attacked, he might have gone on the podium, he might have ended up outside the top-20.
And not like Lotto are going to hold a crisis-meeting.

Unsurprisingly, Lotto has extended his contract with 2 years. He will ride Dauphiné, but isn't in the best shape for a good result there just yet. He's aiming to be in form for Poland and Vuelta.

In general, he hopes to improve in one week stageraces next year, especially Pais Vasco is right up his alley, but he lacks some power for a top result.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/06/05/bjorg-lambrecht-verlenging-lotto-soudal/

Somewhat surprinsingly (unlike the previous post), Bjorg is leading the white jersey classification in the Dauphiné by a huge margin over possible contenders. Surprising, because he said he wasn't in top shape yet, and building up towards the Vuelta. While Gaudu, is also riding the Dauphiné, and is supposed to ride the TDF next. I don't know if anything is wrong with Gaudu, but he's 17 minutes down in youth classification.

The only guy that seems close enough to snatch the jersey away from Lambrecht, is Crass, a countryman. But looking at both their history, i think chances of that happening are rather slim. But actually, just like with van Aert winning the green jersey, and winning the ITT... it also makes me aware that this Dauphiné is not hosting a top field. Only one real sprinter (Bennett), after Froome's crash, only one traditional ITT monster (Dumoulin), but he's still not in top shape. Only two guys that could have realistically competed for the white jersey, Lambrecht and Gaudu, with Gaudu dropping off.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/dauphine/2019/stage-6-youth

For those who still don't know how to identify Lambrecht in the peloton. If you think you are seeing a small girl riding in the bunch, it's him. It's strange because, he 's exactly the same size as Sosa (but a few kg lighter according to PCS), and i never have that idea when i see Sosa in the peloton. Maybe it's accentuated by the color of their kit.

I would love to see him try to get in the break, definitely if its a big one. Doesnt matter if he loses time because of it, he has that white jersey in the bag and no one is gonna remember if he came in 16th or 20th in GC.

If he has the legs tomorrow ofcourse. He had a bad last day in Itzulia too this year (partly due to back pain but still).

Re:

Samamba said:
I would love to see him try to get in the break, definitely if its a big one. Doesnt matter if he loses time because of it, he has that white jersey in the bag and no one is gonna remember if he came in 16th or 20th in GC.

If he has the legs tomorrow ofcourse. He had a bad last day in Itzulia too this year (partly due to back pain but still).

I would expect the ‘breakaway’ to be so big tomorrow that it is comprised of more than a quarter of the remaining riders so every opportunity for a few well placed riders to sneak up the road and try to pull off a Talansky style win while the big boys expect each other to do the chasing. Lambrecht is certainly a good enough climber with the aggressive approach to give this a shot.

Bjorg crashed in the 3rd stage of the Tour de Pologne after about 60km, and hit his head on a concrete sewer pipe. He's been reanimated and brought to the hospital. Most reports say he was flown over by helicopter, other reports state his condition was too severe to be transported by helicopter.

TRENDING THREADS