• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The diminutive Bjorg Lambrecht thread *** R.I.P.***

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
RIP Bjorg.

Fighting the tears. Condolences to his loved ones.
Don't really know what to say. It's just so f---ing awful. Kid had his whole life ahead of him and so much potential.

Not only his family and friends but condolences to you and his other big fans as well. I'm sitting here upset at work so I know this has to hit even harder for those of you who have been following him extra closely for years.

It's just a huge blow to Belgian cycling as well. This guy was a huge talent, maybe the only one that could have rivaled Alaphilippe in the near future on steep finishes. Biggest Belgian talent after Evenepoel. Tiny guy with a big engine (which he proved in Amstel & Flèche Wallonne). He had a bright future ahead of him, could do well in stageraces (already winning the white jersey in Dauphiné), on mur-like finishes, Ardennes classics...

I don't think i'm going to be able to watch La Vuelta now, which he was supposed to ride in a few weeks.

The accident occurred on a pretty straight road

EBOh92GXkAA9M7I

Re:

klintE said:

EBOh92GXkAA9M7I
Tuttobiciweb is reporting that he had slowly lost contact from the main bunch before crashing alone. ATM it hasn't been confirmed and even if it's confirmed we'll have to wait until the autopsy report comes out.
Horrible news, he was young and had a bright future ahead of him, condolences to his friends and family.

I've read rumours that it might have been a heart failure and that caused the accident.

Apparently something similar to what happened to Goolaarts during the 2018 PR

It is quite worrying to see that there have been 5 riders who died for heart failure in the last 5 years and they have all been either Dutch or from Belgium.

Re:

klintE said:

What a strange, unassuming place for an accident like this to happen.

Makes it even more tragic somehow. Heartbreaking.

Cycling is one of the last remaining genuinely dangerous sports; should give all of us some thought when riders complain about dangerous situations instead of dismissing their concerns in an egoistic way.

huge said:
I've read rumours that it might have been a heart failure and that caused the accident.

It is quite worrying to see that there have been 5 riders who died for heart failure in the last 5 years and they have all been either Dutch or from Belgium.
If that's the case, yes. I've brought that up in the past, that this can not be a coincidence, regardless of it being true in this case or not.

EDIT: i just read an article on Sporza, that suggests he died of his injuries. He rode into the ditch (i assume the one in the photo) and hit his head against the concrete part. Maybe he did get a stroke of some sort, but with this bad weather, and considering he only weighs 55 kg, maybe the wind played its part? (This is pure speculation on my part).

At the same time, it's easy enough to have a lapse of concentration or just momentarily lose where you are and be spooked by a team car or a moto speeding by when you're off the back. We shall have to wait for any further explanation. Either way, you can definitely see how an accident that causes you to fall head first into one of those concrete drain covers could cause such injuries. This feels to me a lot like Demoitié, a rider I'd had half an eye on coming up who was just hitting the big time (Demoitié admittedly was killed in what was effectively his first major classic after stepping up from Continental) and then they cruelly denied their chance to show us what they can really do, in the worst way possible.

huge said:

Absolutely gutted...coming out of a second E-sports tournament in a week. Felt overjoyed after checking the news after San-Sebastian but that's nothing compared to the grief and sadness I felt today. R.I.P. Bjorg Lambrecht, We will all miss you.

TRENDING THREADS