• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The diminutive Bjorg Lambrecht thread *** R.I.P.***

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lotto riding with Bjorg/Matchbox stickers.

EBw6oPqXkAEnCfk

This will probably be my last post in this thread. Maybe it will be the last post in this thread full stop. But i wanted to share this last bit, which i only just read now, while it's from last week.

It's a post by Kevin Inkelaar, the Dutch 22 year old (currently riding Tour de l'Avenir) who is a former team-mate of Bjorg. I knew they rode for Lotto in the past, but i didn't know they were best friends.

Bjorg,

Normaal schrijf ik niet echt berichten op social media. Ik had wat tijd nodig om dit te kunnen schrijven.

Toen mijn telefoon ging stond mijn wereld stil. Ik verlies meer dan mijn beste vriend. Ik verlies iemand met wie ik iedere dag contact heb, mijn rots in de branding, mijn steun en toeverlaat. Ik heb het niet over het grote wielertalent Bjorg Lambrecht maar over iemand met een nog grotere persoonlijkheid. Namelijk Bjorg, mijn vriend.Iemand die altijd klaar staat. Iemand die er is met wind in de rug maar ook met tegenwind. Je bent een karaktervol iemand. Voor velen een voorbeeld. Jouw positiviteit, jouw glimlach, het kenmerkt je.

Waar er normaal met jou tranen van het lachen zijn, zo zijn er nu tranen van verdriet. Je bent 24/7 in mijn gedachten en je zult voor altijd in mijn hart blijven. Er zijn veel vragen die onbeantwoord zullen blijven. Want waarom Bjorg? Maar wat ik wel weet, is dat jij mijn ‘star’ zal blijven. Mijn eerste gedachten zijn bij Kurt, Anje, Britt, Carmina, Sam en alle mensen dicht bij Bjorg.

Translated:

Bjorg,

I usually don't write posts on social media. I needed some time to write this.
When my phone rang, my world stood still. I'm losing more than my best friend. I'm losing someone, with whom i had contact every day, someone who had my back, someone i could rely on.
I'm not talking about the big cycling talent Bjorg Lambrecht, but about someone with an even bigger personality. You Bjorg, my friend. Someone who's always there for you. In good times and bad. You are a charismatic person. An example to many. Your positivity and your smile are your trademarks.

The usual tears of laughter in your presence, have turned into tears of sorrow. You are in my thoughts 24/7 and will remain forever in my heart. Many questions will remain unanswered. Because why Bjorg? But what i do know, is that you'll always be my 'star'. My first thoughts go out to Kurt, Anje, Britt, Carmina, Sam and all those close to Bjorg.

Local BHG fan club founded a cross to commemorate Bjorg. You can see in the pictures the spot where it happened, and also the reflector (?) which probably caused the crash.

Didn't want to bump this topic one year after his death. After the Fabio Jakobsen crash (later the same day), i was glad i hadn't.

But now a book has been released about Bjorg, with anecdotes, impressions, stories of over 70 people, colleagues and family.

frontImagesLink.img

Lambrecht was a talented young rider. A better version of Sevenant, but a lesser version of Ayuso and certainly of Pogacar.

I don't think he had the talent and "the engine" to shine in a Grand Tour or to win in Liège or Itzulia. Yet it is a regrettable loss for the (Belgian) cycling world.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lambrecht was a talented young rider. A better version of Sevenant, but a lesser version of Ayuso and certainly of Pogacar.

I don't think he had the talent and "the engine" to shine in a Grand Tour or to win in Liège or Itzulia. Yet it is a regrettable loss for the (Belgian) cycling world.
A particularly thoughtless post, lacking in both an understanding of racing and in tact.

Lambrecht won Ronde de l'isard as a first year u23 aged just 19, and his record the following year was exceptional, including a win in LBL u23. He was beating guys like Vlasov, Pogacar etc that year.

And as a 21 year old neo Pro he was winning .HC races

As a 22yo he is competing for victories in the ardennes classics.

Its always a tragic discussion of what-ifs. But Bjorg Lambrecht could absolutely have challenged for the biggest races in the sport.

I didn't watch cycling for a month after what happened. And I was no huge fan of Lambrecht. But his promise was obvious and he was just a young guy chasing his dream. Impossible to believe what happened

A particularly thoughtless post, lacking in both an understanding of racing and in tact.

Lambrecht won Ronde de l'isard as a first year u23 aged just 19, and his record the following year was exceptional, including a win in LBL u23. He was beating guys like Vlasov, Pogacar etc that year.

And as a 21 year old neo Pro he was winning .HC races

As a 22yo he is competing for victories in the ardennes classics.

Its always a tragic discussion of what-ifs. But Bjorg Lambrecht could absolutely have challenged for the biggest races in the sport.

I didn't watch cycling for a month after what happened. And I was no huge fan of Lambrecht. But his promise was obvious and he was just a young guy chasing his dream. Impossible to believe what happened
thoughtless ? Please explain.

Believe me. With decades of experience I think I can properly assess the qualities of young riders.

As I wrote. A talented young rider (as you prove with examples). But certainly not of Pogacar's level, probably not of Bernal's level either. A good climber, but not a top climber. Also too few time trial capacities. A potential top ten rider of major stage races. To win tough one day races like Liège or Lombardia (after a solo, because not a sprinter) his engine was also a bit too light.

It is a well-known phenomenon that after his death a talented person is valued more and more by some. But that is not based on objective facts.

Went back to the beginning of the thread - so hopeful, so much potential - and after the 2019 FW there was some discussion about whether he had made a tactical error, and well...

His podium will come, not like today was his last-ever chance.

Oh, that stings now!

In fact I think I might have said this before, but what gets me every single time is that look of youthful excitement he seemed to have. The picture on the front cover of that book logic posted about up-thread is a good example.