• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The Dog Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
OK, this is a thread for celebrating our beloved dogs, there are plenty of other threads for arguing and name calling.
Agreed, jmdirt. And on that note...

Happy Holidays to you all from Toby and me!

Toby loves the xmas tree not because it's pretty and because it smells nice, but because I hang gingerbread cookies on it as decoration and for the scent. He usually gets a few as a treat, but if I hung all of them low enough to where he can get to them he would just help himself and eat them all in one sitting.

The life of a dog - it's just so hard.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
OK, this is a thread for celebrating our beloved dogs, there are plenty of other threads for arguing and name calling.
Agreed, jmdirt. And on that note...

Happy Holidays to you all from Toby and me!

Toby loves the xmas tree not because it's pretty and because it smells nice, but because I hang gingerbread cookies on it as decoration and for the scent. He usually gets a few as a treat, but if I hung all of them low enough to where he can get to them he would just help himself and eat them all in one sitting.

The life of a dog - it's just so hard.
Great pic! I had a male puppy in the '80s who decided that the xmas tree needed to be marked like all other trees. I saw him just as he started and yelled at him, which made him start barking at whatever I was yelling at so he didn't actually mark the tree. We had a reminder conversation about inside bathroom use and we were good.

jmdirt said:
Great pic! I had a male puppy in the '80s who decided that the xmas tree needed to be marked like all other trees. I saw him just as he started and yelled at him, which made him start barking at whatever I was yelling at so he didn't actually mark the tree. We had a reminder conversation about inside bathroom use and we were good.
Your whole post made me lol, jmd!

None of my family's past dogs have tried to pee on the xmas tree, might be because we've always hung homemade gingerbread cookies on them. So I can only guess it's because dogs just really don't want to pee on their future food.

Just in time for the holidays here's the latest on Toby...

His rash is once again full-blown, so for xmas he got one last trip to the vet for this year earlier today, his gifts included some antibiotics, a shot of a long-lasting antihistamine, some ear drops because one of his ears is inflamed as well, plus some pretty pricey medicated dog shampoo.

On the plus side he also got a cushiony inflatable dog collar because he just can't quit chewing on himself, the lampshade was beginning to give him abrasions around the neck.

So yeah, after today's trip and a bath with his new shampoo he's pretty pooped out, at least he looks comfortable. Sweet dreams, Tobes.

PS - The trip to the vet itself wasn't too bad, Toby did object to having a thermometer shoved up his butt, though.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Just in time for the holidays here's the latest on Toby...

His rash is once again full-blown, so for xmas he got one last trip to the vet for this year earlier today, his gifts included some antibiotics, a shot of a long-lasting antihistamine, some ear drops because one of his ears is inflamed as well, plus some pretty pricey medicated dog shampoo.

On the plus side he also got a cushiony inflatable dog collar because he just can't quit chewing on himself, the lampshade was beginning to give him abrasions around the neck.

So yeah, after today's trip and a bath with his new shampoo he's pretty pooped out, at least he looks comfortable. Sweet dreams, Tobes.

PS - The trip to the vet itself wasn't too bad, Toby did object to having a thermometer shoved up his butt, though.
I wonder what the heck is causing the rash? Hopefully this new round of treatment will clear it!

jmdirt said:
I wonder what the heck is causing the rash? Hopefully this new round of treatment will clear it!
The rash is a mystery. I didn't take him to an actual dermatologist this time, just the regular vet. The meds have kicked in and he's doing much better, but I dread once he's off the meds the rash will come back.

Ah well, I'll worry about that later, for now he's looking and feeling much better. (I had to do some vacuuming, he's somewhere under that pile of toys of his that I had to pick up off the floor. Some of those toys, in fact, had to be sewn up [DIY project :lol: ], I don't want to throw them out because they're his fave.)

Merry Christmas, jmd!

Have two dogs..one w longer hair.. one w a pretty typical short hair coat..she is a boxer mix.. I have been regularly bringing the dogs to run and hike a bit in the semi desert mountains in San Diego and Baja..
After each of our last half dozen outings both dogs are coming back w ticks and fleas despite using a tablet to prevent these monsters.. the tablets..are supposed to be effective for @90 days for sure and up to 6 months.. I used Frontline and @40 dollar prescription collar before w what I consider pretty limited success..
If anyone has some proven results I love the information..
As for now.. they get combed and flea\tick shampoo treatment after every outing.. kind of a hassle but it is the cost of having fun up to now..

Re:

Unchained said:
Have two dogs..one w longer hair.. one w a pretty typical short hair coat..she is a boxer mix.. I have been regularly bringing the dogs to run and hike a bit in the semi desert mountains in San Diego and Baja..
After each of our last half dozen outings both dogs are coming back w ticks and fleas despite using a tablet to prevent these monsters.. the tablets..are supposed to be effective for @90 days for sure and up to 6 months.. I used Frontline and @40 dollar prescription collar before w what I consider pretty limited success..
As for now.. they get combed and flea\tick shampoo treatment after every outing.. kind of a hassle but it is the cost of having fun up to now..
Your dogs sound great! Can I see some pictures, pretty please?

While Unchained is getting busy taking some sexy pictures of his dogs here's another one of Toby, his rash is all gone. Am supposed to call the vet before I run out of antibiotics, so far so good.

You never can tame this beast - mom gave him this chewable dog treat that Toby has always been known to have buried in the yard, nothing has changed. He's still burying it and getting all dirty in the process, and this after I had just bathed him in his new luxurious, medicated dog shampoo only a couple of days ago!

Happy New Year, fellow dog (or any animal) lovers!

Re:

Unchained said:
We don't have flea issues here, but I had good luck with Frontline topical for ticks. I avoided systemic treatments. I have some in-laws in the SD/Carlsbad area so I'll ask what they use on their pooches.

I've been using Advantage II (topical) on Toby for several years now, but given his various skin issues as of late I'm not sure whether the med is doing more harm than good.

Still, Toby's latest vet assures me I should keep on using it as usual. (Eh, if nothing else at least the dog isn't suffering of fleas and ticks, right? :confused: )

Unchained, I forgot to tell you that my in-laws don't use anything because they don't want systemic for the dogs or topical for the kids touching the dogs. They take their dogs out everyday, but the area they go to is a pretty manicured "park", and I bet the city sprays for fleas (all "pests").

Speaking of flea and tick topical treatments... I've mentioned I don't like using them because they are straight up pesticides. Toby has had some fleas in the past (or something, I've never actually seen any fleas on him), but never any ticks. So I'm thinking of switching his treatments to something hopefully a little milder, I've been using K9 Advantix II, which kills just about everything under the sun. (Including mosquitoes, lice, and biting flies.) So next time I'm buying treatments I'll just switch back to fleas only, I'm figuring the fewer pesticides the better.

On a different note - Toby has been getting a bath once a week now with this stuff, for his particular skin issues it seems to be working very well. His rash hasn't come back (knock on wood), and the 6-week antihistamine injection he got back in December should have worn off by now. So more frequent baths with an antiseptic shampoo seems to be doing the trick for this pup. (Again, knock on wood.)

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Speaking of flea and tick topical treatments... I've mentioned I don't like using them because they are straight up pesticides. Toby has had some fleas in the past (or something, I've never actually seen any fleas on him), but never any ticks. So I'm thinking of switching his treatments to something hopefully a little milder, I've been using K9 Advantix II, which kills just about everything under the sun. (Including mosquitoes, lice, and biting flies.) So next time I'm buying treatments I'll just switch back to fleas only, I'm figuring the fewer pesticides the better.

On a different note - Toby has been getting a bath once a week now with this stuff, for his particular skin issues it seems to be working very well. His rash hasn't come back (knock on wood), and the 6-week antihistamine injection he got back in December should have worn off by now. So more frequent baths with an antiseptic shampoo seems to be doing the trick for this pup. (Again, knock on wood.)

WOOHOO! Good news Toby! :D

jmdirt said:
WOOHOO! Good news Toby! :D
Hi ya, jmd,

Reporting live from the bathtub... this is so not my favorite activity, but a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do if he ever wants to be fed again. Plus, I'd be really happy if that nasty rash never came back.

Paw-five,

The Tobster

Aug 2, 2012

the dog is showing her age...she struggles to walk far these days not as though

she's troubled she never was cared about going out anyway

she's so much happier lazing around...and being carried back and forth

...that keeps me strong!

Mark L

Re:

ebandit said:

...that keeps me strong!

Mark L
:D Cool old pooch! Have you talked with your vet about anti-inflammatory meds? When my old girls started having a tough time walking, carprofen gave her another year of OK movement. You can still carry her so that she feels like a queen and you get your workout! :lol:

Aug 2, 2012
thanks! however I do wonder if there is much that can be done..she's just plain 'old'

it's years since I visited a vet the dog has thankfully been so healthy

I am trying to maintain a lighter weight to help mobility....she's currently just over 6 stone

that helps carrying her up/down stairs too!

Mark L

Ebandit a dog like that deserves extra attention to toe nails and yummy food!! Maybe you can set up a TV and show the dog meerkat videos.. when my dog was really old.. roast beef and seeing a squirrel or two at close range was her only inspiration.. having a caring loving environment is the best medicine for owners and dogs alike.. I discovered my dogs love for animal videos completely by accident and then it became something all species enjoyed..

Feb 23, 2017
Re:

TheNJDevil said:
Dogs are smarter than cats because:
When you point at something, the cat will look at the end of your finger, but the dog will look at the end of your finger and then look in the direction you are pointing.
Plus a dog can be trained to fetch the newspaper for you, play catch with a ball or frisbee, or even just a stick, dogs can communicate better with us and vice a versa, the right dog will protect you from either bad people or bad situations, dog can lead a blind person, sniff out drugs, and on and on and on. And if you're really good at training you can do all sorts of things with a dog, a cat simply can't remotely keep up with, though I did manage to once train a cat to set, speak, and shake, other cats I had never got the hang of that stuff. Cats can rip furniture with their claws, though the wrong type of dog can chew your favorite stuff, so I guess in that aspect it's a draw. Cat's aren't really good for much of anything except to eat...

Re:

ebandit said:
thanks! however I do wonder if there is much that can be done..she's just plain 'old'

it's years since I visited a vet the dog has thankfully been so healthy

I am trying to maintain a lighter weight to help mobility....she's currently just over 6 stone

that helps carrying her up/down stairs too!

Mark L
That's what I thought too, but was surprised by the improvement. I should probably talk to my doc too, but I have been self medicating with beer and tequila! :lol:

Re:

ebandit said:

...that keeps me strong!

Mark L
Hi ya, lady K-9 friend,

Reporting live from the reclining chair (stupid human is in the midst of vacuuming, which is why she had thrown all of my toys on top of me while I'm trying to siesta)...

It would be good for your human to take you to the vet, if for no other reason than to make sure you're not in pain.

Paw-five,

The Tobster

Aug 2, 2012
thanks! all the dog is comfortable...............alas she lacks strength but mostly being a big soft lazy lump she totally

lacks commitment...confronted by snowy conditions today she was NOT going anywhere..................

Mark L

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
red_flanders Off Topic DIscussions 7