• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Unchained said:
Have two dogs..one w longer hair.. one w a pretty typical short hair coat..she is a boxer mix.. I have been regularly bringing the dogs to run and hike a bit in the semi desert mountains in San Diego and Baja..
After each of our last half dozen outings both dogs are coming back w ticks and fleas despite using a tablet to prevent these monsters.. the tablets..are supposed to be effective for @90 days for sure and up to 6 months.. I used Frontline and @40 dollar prescription collar before w what I consider pretty limited success..
If anyone has some proven results I love the information..
As for now.. they get combed and flea\tick shampoo treatment after every outing.. kind of a hassle but it is the cost of having fun up to now..
We don't have flea issues here, but I had good luck with Frontline topical for ticks. I avoided systemic treatments. I have some in-laws in the SD/Carlsbad area so I'll ask what they use on their pooches.

I've been using Advantage II (topical) on Toby for several years now, but given his various skin issues as of late I'm not sure whether the med is doing more harm than good.

Still, Toby's latest vet assures me I should keep on using it as usual. (Eh, if nothing else at least the dog isn't suffering of fleas and ticks, right? :confused: )

Unchained, I forgot to tell you that my in-laws don't use anything because they don't want systemic for the dogs or topical for the kids touching the dogs. They take their dogs out everyday, but the area they go to is a pretty manicured "park", and I bet the city sprays for fleas (all "pests").

Speaking of flea and tick topical treatments... I've mentioned I don't like using them because they are straight up pesticides. Toby has had some fleas in the past (or something, I've never actually seen any fleas on him), but never any ticks. So I'm thinking of switching his treatments to something hopefully a little milder, I've been using K9 Advantix II, which kills just about everything under the sun. (Including mosquitoes, lice, and biting flies.) So next time I'm buying treatments I'll just switch back to fleas only, I'm figuring the fewer pesticides the better.

On a different note - Toby has been getting a bath once a week now with this stuff, for his particular skin issues it seems to be working very well. His rash hasn't come back (knock on wood), and the 6-week antihistamine injection he got back in December should have worn off by now. So more frequent baths with an antiseptic shampoo seems to be doing the trick for this pup. (Again, knock on wood.)

t5ozut.jpg

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Speaking of flea and tick topical treatments... I've mentioned I don't like using them because they are straight up pesticides. Toby has had some fleas in the past (or something, I've never actually seen any fleas on him), but never any ticks. So I'm thinking of switching his treatments to something hopefully a little milder, I've been using K9 Advantix II, which kills just about everything under the sun. (Including mosquitoes, lice, and biting flies.) So next time I'm buying treatments I'll just switch back to fleas only, I'm figuring the fewer pesticides the better.

On a different note - Toby has been getting a bath once a week now with this stuff, for his particular skin issues it seems to be working very well. His rash hasn't come back (knock on wood), and the 6-week antihistamine injection he got back in December should have worn off by now. So more frequent baths with an antiseptic shampoo seems to be doing the trick for this pup. (Again, knock on wood.)

t5ozut.jpg
WOOHOO! Good news Toby! :D

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

the dog is showing her age...she struggles to walk far these days not as though

she's troubled she never was cared about going out anyway

she's so much happier lazing around...and being carried back and forth

...that keeps me strong!

Mark L
:D Cool old pooch! Have you talked with your vet about anti-inflammatory meds? When my old girls started having a tough time walking, carprofen gave her another year of OK movement. You can still carry her so that she feels like a queen and you get your workout! :lol:

thanks! however I do wonder if there is much that can be done..she's just plain 'old'

it's years since I visited a vet the dog has thankfully been so healthy

I am trying to maintain a lighter weight to help mobility....she's currently just over 6 stone

that helps carrying her up/down stairs too!

Mark L

Ebandit a dog like that deserves extra attention to toe nails and yummy food!! Maybe you can set up a TV and show the dog meerkat videos.. when my dog was really old.. roast beef and seeing a squirrel or two at close range was her only inspiration.. having a caring loving environment is the best medicine for owners and dogs alike.. I discovered my dogs love for animal videos completely by accident and then it became something all species enjoyed..

Re:

TheNJDevil said:
Dogs are smarter than cats because:
When you point at something, the cat will look at the end of your finger, but the dog will look at the end of your finger and then look in the direction you are pointing.

Plus a dog can be trained to fetch the newspaper for you, play catch with a ball or frisbee, or even just a stick, dogs can communicate better with us and vice a versa, the right dog will protect you from either bad people or bad situations, dog can lead a blind person, sniff out drugs, and on and on and on. And if you're really good at training you can do all sorts of things with a dog, a cat simply can't remotely keep up with, though I did manage to once train a cat to set, speak, and shake, other cats I had never got the hang of that stuff. Cats can rip furniture with their claws, though the wrong type of dog can chew your favorite stuff, so I guess in that aspect it's a draw. Cat's aren't really good for much of anything except to eat...

Re:

ebandit said:
thanks! however I do wonder if there is much that can be done..she's just plain 'old'

it's years since I visited a vet the dog has thankfully been so healthy

I am trying to maintain a lighter weight to help mobility....she's currently just over 6 stone

that helps carrying her up/down stairs too!

Mark L
That's what I thought too, but was surprised by the improvement. I should probably talk to my doc too, but I have been self medicating with beer and tequila! :lol:

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

the dog is showing her age...she struggles to walk far these days not as though

she's troubled she never was cared about going out anyway

she's so much happier lazing around...and being carried back and forth

...that keeps me strong!

Mark L
Hi ya, lady K-9 friend,

Reporting live from the reclining chair (stupid human is in the midst of vacuuming, which is why she had thrown all of my toys on top of me while I'm trying to siesta)...

It would be good for your human to take you to the vet, if for no other reason than to make sure you're not in pain.

Paw-five,

The Tobster

ofrsl1.jpg

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

for dogs everywhere....................just reading old pages here....sad to think of

those missed friends

and sad that the greedy guys at photobucket no longer provide free 3rd party hosting of

our pics!

Mark L
Love that lady dog of yours, right now I'm trying to pretty myself up for her. (My owner assures me a haircut will make me look younger and more distinguished looking, not so sure about that. Bah, as long as I get fed I'm up for almost anything.)

Before:
5f0w03.jpg

After:
348hded.jpg

Paw-five,

The Tobster

Re:

ebandit said:
image.jpg

saddest news....today the faithful dog passed away.............peacefully as

gently as she had liver her life

i'm glad to have looked after such a lovely dog...so many good memories

...here is pic of the younger dog in happier times

Mark L
Baby, even though we were literally oceans apart I'm gonna miss you very much, hope K-9 heaven is all it's cracked out to be!

Much love and Paw-Fives to both you and your owner,

The Tobster

TRENDING THREADS