• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ebandit said:
i've said before but again....how pretty is that 'lil fella running around in the snow

my dog is more akin to my self image................rough 'n tough.........

3.jpg
or lean & mean Terrier... Mr. T

https://www.dw.com/en/german-sniffer-dog-luke-finds-745000-in-cash/a-47734022
In less than three months of service, German shepherd Luke has sniffed out a total of €745,000 ($847,070) while patrolling the Düsseldorf airport in western Germany, German customs agents said in a statement.

The canine was recruited in February 2018, at two years of age, and then entered a lengthy program that taught him to track down large amounts of cash based on the bills' scent. He graduated in December and made 12 successful busts before the end of February.

"Luke is a valuable helper in controlling cash smuggling," customs spokesman Michael Walk said. "Considering his successful debut, we are excited about what his rate of success will be in the future."

47733898_401.jpg

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.dw.com/en/german-sniffer-dog-luke-finds-745000-in-cash/a-47734022
In less than three months of service, German shepherd Luke has sniffed out a total of €745,000 ($847,070) while patrolling the Düsseldorf airport in western Germany, German customs agents said in a statement.

The canine was recruited in February 2018, at two years of age, and then entered a lengthy program that taught him to track down large amounts of cash based on the bills' scent. He graduated in December and made 12 successful busts before the end of February.

"Luke is a valuable helper in controlling cash smuggling," customs spokesman Michael Walk said. "Considering his successful debut, we are excited about what his rate of success will be in the future."

47733898_401.jpg
We don't have a"like" button so this is my like post! :D

walking my dumb mutt...........i take time to collect litter...........

meeting a neighbur..........she helps instructing her collie brock to enter bushes to retrieve hard to reach

bottles/cans before placing them in my collection bag.......................

...what a clever dog....................

Re:

ebandit said:

meeting a neighbur..........she helps instructing her collie brock to enter bushes to retrieve hard to reach

Apologies, am not sure what this means being I speak only Yank English, I take it this woman is instructing you and your dog to pick up other people's trash?

As far as Toby goes, here we go again. After his latest exam it turns out one of his kneecaps (or ligaments that join the knee) is busted, there were already signs and symptoms. So in he goes for another surgery. He's an aging dog, but otherwise healthy, so let's fix this knee up no matter how much it costs, shall we?

Surgery scrub-in is next Tuesday at 8am - you better do your worst, Toby, you hear?

Tricycle Rider said:
ebandit said:

Apologies, am not sure what this means being I speak only Yank English, I take it this woman is instructing you and your dog to pick up other people's trash?

As far as Toby goes, here we go again. After his latest exam it turns out one of his kneecaps (or ligaments that join the knee) is busted, there were already signs and symptoms. So in he goes for another surgery. He's an aging dog, but otherwise healthy, so let's fix this knee up no matter how much it costs, shall we?

Surgery scrub-in is next Tuesday at 8am - you better do your worst, Toby, you hear?

sorry! my laziness................collie 'called' brock.........would follow instruction to retrieve litter

round here there are so many dogs...yesterday pip's friend came thundering over from far..jumped up
and kissed me on the chops despite me being 6' +

how noble toby looks in that pic......puppy toes crossed all goes well

he has my sympathy...right now i'm on reduced walks after straining my ankle...........luckily it's on the mend
...and right now weathers pants anyway...yesterday snow cold....today rain cold

This is a message from Toby, as translated by his human owners.

Hullo, thank you all for your kind thoughts and messages... I suppose riding a tricycle was not the best of ideas. Ah well, I always try to please my owners (who can barely ride a bicycle!), just as long as they feed me well! :)

And now back to the humans...

Thank you all also for your kind messages - naturally I'm rather nervous and worried about Toby's latest surgery. But, if he wasn't in such good shape otherwise I would have never agreed to it.

So, Paw-Five from us both, and we'll keep you posted,

The Tobster and TR

at recent giro sicilia last stage passing through town on way to mt etna i was surprised to see loose dogs roaming streets.....here in uk not seen
such a thing since 70's when very few folk had pedigree dogs and there was no dog catcher!

dogs in sicily were streetwise keeping off road....i guess they learn by experience

here a neighbour has a lovely friendly sloughi not at all a common breed ....it's 14.5 and still active amazing! for such a big dog...

on3m@n@rmy said:
That is so great, and so true! :lol:

Well, here's the champ after his surgery earlier today, he looks so sad, tired and confused. :(
2af02nl.jpg

They did some repair on his cruciate ligament cause it had some tears ( he was already limping), evidently it's a very common injury. He's got a fentanyl patch, plus a couple of other potent painkillers, somehow we're supposed to keep him as mellow as possible for a couple of weeks even if he starts feeling better. That will be the hard part - no squirrel chasing!

wjivm.jpg

Hopefully he'll heal up okay, I removed the cone and put his inflatable donut around his neck, if he starts licking on that leg that stupid cone is going right back on.

Today April 9th for Sir Tobes? Well he's gonna feel like crap a few days while the effects of the anesthesia wears off (I assumed he went "under" far that procedure). Sometimes anesthesia can make some internals like the digestive tract not "wake up" right away. A good sign would be if he's drinking, eating, peeing, and pooping. Paw fives for pulling through so far.

poor toby ...............what a sad 'lil fella he looks......................recover quick son...................

many years ago my previous dog walked the mile home from the vets after general anaesthetic as though nothing had happened

recently i expected similar from my current dog pip after her precedure (spayed) and had to carry her all the way home she was so disorientated

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and well-wishes, if Toby wasn't so stoned on pain meds I'm sure he would say the same.

He's drinking, eating, and peeing (have to carry him outside for the peeing business right now), how I'm going to get him to poop I have no idea. He can't put any weight on that hind leg, so...

I think what makes me so sad is he has no understanding of what's going on. So I'm just trying to comfort him as much as possible, and I'm trying to keep his pain under control.

Thank you again, it means a lot.

Paw-five from us both! :)

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and well-wishes, if Toby wasn't so stoned on pain meds I'm sure he would say the same.

He's drinking, eating, and peeing (have to carry him outside for the peeing business right now), how I'm going to get him to poop I have no idea. He can't put any weight on that hind leg, so...

I think what makes me so sad is he has no understanding of what's going on. So I'm just trying to comfort him as much as possible, and I'm trying to keep his pain under control.

Thank you again, it means a lot.

Paw-five from us both! :)
When my old lab got to the point that she couldn't squat to do her business, I bought a sling device. Since Toby is much smaller and this is short term, you may not need anything, but just a thought.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Swedish Molly the doping control dog - can find e.g. testosterone and anabolic steroids. Was busy at the Biathlon World Cup in Sweden this year.

9d165efb-eaf2-4688-8602-648a9558b3c9.jpg
lol... if she could detect all the other stuff there would probably have been no competitors left.

Well, here at last is an update on Toby... I didn't really want to say anything until his sutures were out, today they were removed. At one point he got his donut off when no one was looking, he managed to dislodge a couple of staples and removed one entirely by licking on his wound. Thankfully this was about 5 days after surgery, so he didn't do too much damage.

I still have to do passive range of motion therapy at home with him because he's not using the leg, there was some muscle atrophy even prior to surgery because he wasn't using the leg due to the joint injury. And if I can't get him to use the leg he'll have to see the professionals, thankfully we have a clinic here in town that specializes in such things.

All in all things are looking okay so far - the incision looks good, the vet said Toby can even bathe now. (Thank goodness for that, tomorrow I'll be throwing Toby into the bathtub!) Still no jumping or chasing squirrels though, this is going to take a while.

34qqums.jpg

PS - I don't mind the surgery site too much, but they also shaved a square on Toby's side where they had stapled the fentanyl patch. That's going to look stupid for a while, maybe I should just shave him all over and get it over with.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Robert5091 said:
Swedish Molly the doping control dog - can find e.g. testosterone and anabolic steroids. Was busy at the Biathlon World Cup in Sweden this year.

9d165efb-eaf2-4688-8602-648a9558b3c9.jpg
lol... if she could detect all the other stuff there would probably have been no competitors left.

Well, here at last is an update on Toby... I didn't really want to say anything until his sutures were out, today they were removed. At one point he got his donut off when no one was looking, he managed to dislodge a couple of staples and removed one entirely by licking on his wound. Thankfully this was about 5 days after surgery, so he didn't do too much damage.

I still have to do passive range of motion therapy at home with him because he's not using the leg, there was some muscle atrophy even prior to surgery because he wasn't using the leg due to the joint injury. And if I can't get him to use the leg he'll have to see the professionals, thankfully we have a clinic here in town that specializes in such things.

All in all things are looking okay so far - the incision looks good, the vet said Toby can even bathe now. (Thank goodness for that, tomorrow I'll be throwing Toby into the bathtub!) Still no jumping or chasing squirrels though, this is going to take a while.

34qqums.jpg

PS - I don't mind the surgery site too much, but they also shaved a square on Toby's side where they had stapled the fentanyl patch. That's going to look stupid for a while, maybe I should just shave him all over and get it over with.
Keep getting better Toby! Move that leg! :)

TRENDING THREADS