The Dog Thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My dog has 3 legs and she gets along pretty good. While running she doesn't have much trouble and it is hard to tell if she was a very fast 4 legged trotter.
The missing leg causes her the most grief trying to jump in and out of the car, standing up and negotiating wet cement..a catch 22 because if she didn't pee on the cement it wouldn't be wet as often.
She hates seagulls and anything w horse shoes..not sure where the crazy reactions come from seeing or hearing donkeys or horses..she will bark at a horse while passing the animals in a car at 70mph?
The biggest drawback for her is when other dogs attempt to smell her lady parts( which are inoperable) they come to do a dog up close and personal inspection and she can't run or maneuver fast enough to avoid being power sniffed.
Many dogs sense that she is 1-2_seconds away from mauling them. More persistent dogs discover that Ruby packs the heart of ten lions about her space and unwanted sexual advances.
It's always brief and ugly. Her lips quiver for @5 minutes after the encounters but I don't see any lasting PTSD.
If I go to a dog park and she is off leash or to an open space things work out better w animal to animal communication. It's when she is tethered or some well intentioned person tries to "help" .
Even wo being fixed I think my dog didn't have puppies by choice!!

*so even if Toby finds himself w limited use of his 4th leg,life will still be good*
 
Re:

Unchained said:
My dog has 3 legs and she gets along pretty good. While running she doesn't have much trouble and it is hard to tell if she was a very fast 4 legged trotter.
The missing leg causes her the most grief trying to jump in and out of the car, standing up and negotiating wet cement..a catch 22 because if she didn't pee on the cement it wouldn't be wet as often.
She hates seagulls and anything w horse shoes..not sure where the crazy reactions come from seeing or hearing donkeys or horses..she will bark at a horse while passing the animals in a car at 70mph?
The biggest drawback for her is when other dogs attempt to smell her lady parts( which are inoperable) they come to do a dog up close and personal inspection and she can't run or maneuver fast enough to avoid being power sniffed.
Many dogs sense that she is 1-2_seconds away from mauling them. More persistent dogs discover that Ruby packs the heart of ten lions about her space and unwanted sexual advances.
It's always brief and ugly. Her lips quiver for @5 minutes after the encounters but I don't see any lasting PTSD.
If I go to a dog park and she is off leash or to an open space things work out better w animal to animal communication. It's when she is tethered or some well intentioned person tries to "help" .
Even wo being fixed I think my dog didn't have puppies by choice!!

*so even if Toby finds himself w limited use of his 4th leg,life will still be good*
That's great to hear about Ruby and how well she gets on with just three legs. Dogs can certainly adjust, and I have no doubt she knows how to protect herself against any unwanted suitor's advances. Good for her! :cool:

On that note - Toby has never had much of a sex life being he's neutered and we don't allow him to frolic around freely in nature, but what he did enjoy prior to surgery was humping his very big stuffed animals. I don't want to get too graphic, but once he was finished he couldn't walk for about 10 minutes because his junk was all hanging out.

If he wishes to resume this activity he will have to learn to use the fourth leg, and if that isn't inspiration enough I don't know what is.
 
Aug 2, 2012
5,971
1
0
good boy toby......................what a 'lil trooper!

my young dog pip amuses myself..................walking down a steep slope..........she throws herself
down to slide/roll to the bottom................................crazy dog

at a field edge a field mouse did not have time to escape............frightened it hid ....too late
pip spotted it..........picked it up...........put it down and the mouse ran off...
...gentle dog
 
Aug 2, 2012
5,971
1
0
rick james said:
half correct
mine's a half............

sad for your loss
alas my ol' girl is no longer here either.........how we love wor dogs it's hard seeing her pic again

 
Re:

rick james said:
The wee boy is half a french bulldog and half a Dogue de Bordeaux.....crazy I know
I was way off on my guess, thought I saw half Boxer (sans the very cruel practice of the clipping of the ears) and half something very sturdy... like a Pit Bull or a Rottweiler. Ah well, he's a gorgeous dog anyway,

Paw-fives and welcome to the CN kennel! :cool:
 
And now a message from the Tobster -

Yo, what up, fellow canines?

So, today I got my very first bath in weeks, it felt so refreshing! Especially my butt is what I'm particular about, even I know when it doesn't smell so fresh.

Today I could throw only a very modified conniption after my bath being the human had me on the leash and was making sure I wouldn't hurt myself, but even this kind of conniption was satisfying enough. See me tearing up that terrible whitish towel? Grrrrrrr, I'm so proud of myself!



Paw-fives,

The Tobes

A now a word from the human...

Toby was starting to stink so bad of urine I couldn't take it anymore. So into the bathtub we went like we have for the past 11 years, I have never seen him trying to work the bum leg like he did just then!

I should probably ask the surgeon tomorrow whether I should give Toby more baths just to encourage him to exercise the leg, will let you know.

Paw-fives,

The human
 
So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

He loves his favourite blanket that we originally got just for Christmas around 4 years ago, so we dare not get rid of it despite it seeing better days. :lol:


 
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

He loves his favourite blanket that we originally got just for Christmas around 4 years ago, so we dare not get rid of it despite it seeing better days. :lol:


Awwwww, what an adorable addition to the kennel, he looks so cute and mushy! What breed?

No worries about the old blankie, some of Toby's toys should have been tossed a long time ago. But, we don't dare.

Well, here's the latest update on Toby - the surgeon isn't as pleased with Toby's progress as I am, he's definitely recommending intensive, professional physical therapy. Which I completely agree with, so no biggie.

Toby will be getting a haircut later today, that square they had shaved out for the Fentanyl patch looks just too stupid. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with his fur yet, maybe a mohawk or something? Whatever I decide rest assured there will be pictures. :lol:

ebandit - Tara seemed like such a great dog, I've know quite a few in the past. They're all gone now, but memories of them I'll always treasure. Dogs are just awesome.
 
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

He loves his favourite blanket that we originally got just for Christmas around 4 years ago, so we dare not get rid of it despite it seeing better days. :lol:


:D
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Pricey_sky said:
So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

He loves his favourite blanket that we originally got just for Christmas around 4 years ago, so we dare not get rid of it despite it seeing better days. :lol:


Awwwww, what an adorable addition to the kennel, he looks so cute and mushy! What breed?

No worries about the old blankie, some of Toby's toys should have been tossed a long time ago. But, we don't dare.

Well, here's the latest update on Toby - the surgeon isn't as pleased with Toby's progress as I am, he's definitely recommending intensive, professional physical therapy. Which I completely agree with, so no biggie.

Toby will be getting a haircut later today, that square they had shaved out for the Fentanyl patch looks just too stupid. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with his fur yet, maybe a mohawk or something? Whatever I decide rest assured there will be pictures. :lol:

ebandit - Tara seemed like such a great dog, I've know quite a few in the past. They're all gone now, but memories of them I'll always treasure. Dogs are just awesome.
He’s a Bichon-Shih Tzu cross, we’ve had him since he was an 8 week old pup almost 5 years ago.

It sounds like the vet is just trying to make sure Toby’s recovery is taken a step at a time, which is no bad thing. Hopefully his haircut goes to plan!
 
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
He’s a Bichon-Shih Tzu cross, we’ve had him since he was an 8 week old pup almost 5 years ago.

It sounds like the vet is just trying to make sure Toby’s recovery is taken a step at a time, which is no bad thing. Hopefully his haircut goes to plan!
Awww, Rupert is still only a young pup then, enjoy! :)

I have checked out some post-surgery dog haircuts, thought I might go with something like this. Normally this would look really stupid on a terrier mix, but Toby can't possibly look any more stupid than he already does now.



Well, the artistic vision is there anyway, whether I'm able to execute it is a whole other matter. The other matter being Toby, I would need the best of cooperation from him. :lol:
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
I was wondering what was up with all those pooches hanging around after the finish line (they definitely didn't look like drug-sniffing dogs), I didn't have the sound on, so didn't know.

Even though this one was wearing some Astana gear even Nibali had to say hello. I thought that was kinda nice.

Yay for the therapy dogs, they don't care how tired/sick you are or how bad you smell, they'll always wag their tail for you! :cool:

And yet another edit...

Still not sure why the pooches were there having just all access to the riders after this stage, but one thing I can say for sure...

If these are truly trained therapy dogs and the riders don't appreciate them we would love to have these dogs at the local hospital. It's not just for the sick kids in the cancer ward, it's for the staff as well.

Trained therapy dogs are just way too awesome!
 
Today I met a Great Dane with ski goggles, a hat, and a dry fit shirt on! :) I stopped for a lady and her GD on a skinny section of single track and had to inquire: she is white with pink skin so she burns around her eyes and inside of her ears. They prefer hiking after the sun goes down, but since we have been having storms every night, they decided to get out while the gettin' was good.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Non-Cycling Discussions 23
red_flanders Non-Cycling Discussions 42

ASK THE COMMUNITY