• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The doped bike exists (video of pro version)!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
According to Davide Cassani, ex-Pro and cycling commentator of the national Italian RAI TV channel, the silent pro version has been in existence since 2004 and according to his sources, some pro's have also made use of it. Now information however, for how long the battery lasts. Probably only for 20-30minutes, finishes or hard and decisive parts of the race.

In contrast to the loud retail version with the visible battery under the saddle, the pro version is silent and not visible...

check out the video (italian) to judge whether it's reality or nevertheless a hoax:

http://bit.ly/BiciDopata

May 26, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
Now information however, for how long the battery lasts. Probably only for 20-30minutes, finishes or hard and decisive parts of the race.

why so little time, i imagine it can be reacharge by cycling.....anyone recognise the bike? 6 years ago 2004...

are there suspicions over cancellara and his Roubaix and Flander results. i found it 'un-believable' how he could ride away on his own from 4/5 guys chasing and taking turns to try and reel him in....for 50kms....

May 5, 2009
Visit site
so Pharmstrong was wrong in "it's not about the bike"! ;-)

if he only knew that this could have saved him from all the PED therapies and hassle... :p

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
It's not a hoax. We have another thread in the Road Cycling section. This clip is from the official RAI Sports results show from after the Giro. I posted a Tuttobiciweb article about it too. The guy said he could get up to 50 kilometers an hour easily.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
There must have been wins with this device! But we shouldnt accuse Cancellara just because someone said he was like on a motorbike because it could be anyone.. When do we hear the first rider confess or a mechanic blow the lid? :eek:

May 5, 2009
Visit site
If it were used by Spartacus, he would have made the double in last year's world championship and collected Milano-San Remo as well this year. And why see Cecchini if your bike is doped?

Discussing who could have used it will lead us nowhere, let's focus on hard facts.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i would imagine a lot of DS's are very aware of the viewing public in these current times and would not let margins get too big and too obvious, that was what was so surprising about cancellara's 2 classics he won by enormous margins considering the terrain the chasers being organised...but maybe Riis new it was a doped bike and not PEDs....

where there's humans there's cheating:mad:

theswordsman said:
It's not a hoax. We have another thread in the Road Cycling section. This clip is from the official RAI Sports results show from after the Giro. I posted a Tuttobiciweb article about it too. The guy said he could get up to 50 kilometers an hour easily.
I know the idea of motorized doping is not a hoax, and I know which show this is from (I watch it regularly). But this all seems kind of tongue-in-cheek, Cassani seems to enjoy it a bit too much.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
This clip looks like a hoax, because you never get to see the full bike while the back wheel spins. I do believe motorized doping is possible, though.
Why does it have to be called 'motorised doping' Is it for effect?
Surely it is just cheating, or is the F1 car with illegal bodywork doped as well.
FFS!

BTW - The Italian show is a p155take

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
why so little time, i imagine it can be reacharge by cycling.....anyone recognise the bike? 6 years ago 2004...

are there suspicions over cancellara and his Roubaix and Flander results. i found it 'un-believable' how he could ride away on his own from 4/5 guys chasing and taking turns to try and reel him in....for 50kms....

Dude have you actually watched roubaix? The only one chasing him was Boonen all the other guys didn't work or were dead already...
there weren't 5 guys chasing him that's just mere bullcrap

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Dude have you actually watched roubaix? The only one chasing him was Boonen all the other guys didn't work or were dead already...
there weren't 5 guys chasing him that's just mere bullcrap

yeah i watched it, how come cancellara wasn't dead or even slowing down?????

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MarkGreen0 said:
If it's not a hoax then why do they never show the entire bike in the shot whilst the motor is running?

2 reasons, incredibly bad editing by Italian tv, which is standard or they were very aware not to show the whole frame and risk a lawsuit...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
MarkGreen0 said:
If it's not a hoax then why do they never show the entire bike in the shot whilst the motor is running?

They're still good enough to show us a glimpse of the 'bidons' (aka battery packs) with electrical components gaffer-taped on the outside and plenty of external wiring.

I can't believe anyone thought that was real. The presenters looked as though they were trying not to laugh in the studio.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

did you even watch? they all visibly quit racing for 1st place as soon as he gapped them... they basically all looked at Tom to chase, it was pathetic.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
bad video or not, it is absolutely possible

If you take a look at the videos of the real system, http://www.gruberassist.com/ , you will see that it would be extremely easy to adapt it by putting the battery cells in the seat tube or seat post, and run internal wiring to a hidden throttle button. In that case, it could look and work exactly like the bike that you think is a hoax.

The motor weighs 900 grams, the battery 1000 grams or more depending on how many battery cells you can stuff into the seat tube. So for around 2 kg, you get an additional 100 watts for at least 45 minutes. That would be worth it, and with the right kit, the bike would only weigh a little more than the UCI minimum. You would have to x-ray the bike to know it was in there.

TRENDING THREADS