• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The European season starts: GP d'Ouverture & Étoile de Bessèges

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I am going to stick my head on the line and say Rolland could be the stand out rider to give Contador a run for his money in the mountains. He had his great win on Alpe d`Huez but he was cruising on Plateau De Beille and if it wasnt for Voeckler in yellow at the time i think he could of got a free role with the shackles off to attack and win the stage.

Stage 3 Review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzIThS0cEw

Lol, despite everything working in Rolland's favour, he still rode a slower time on Alpe D'huez than Contador. He will never give Contador a run for his money and if he's not banned he will just get blown away.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, despite everything working in Rolland's favour, he still rode a slower time on Alpe D'huez than Contador. He will never give Contador a run for his money and if he's not banned he will just get blown away.

Even when Rolland is four years younger? A 31 year old Rolland couldn't compete with a 35 year old Alberto?

gooner said:
I am going to stick my head on the line and say Rolland could be the stand out rider to give Contador a run for his money in the mountains. He had his great win on Alpe d`Huez but he was cruising on Plateau De Beille and if it wasnt for Voeckler in yellow at the time i think he could of got a free role with the shackles off to attack and win the stage.

Stage 3 Review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzIThS0cEw
I don't think he will challenge Contador, he's just in a league of his own as a climber, but maybe Andy Schleck could be within reach. Bernadeau at least seems to think so ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
-3 degrees, violent winds, peloton riding less than 15 km/h, looks like the riders want to cancel the stage. Some have already gotten into the cars whole Laszlo Bodrogi is alone out front

Tomorrow's stage has been shortened to 60 km

/edit: Bodrogi reeled in by his DS Frédéric Moncassin who told him not to keep on with his attack

theyoungest said:
I don't think he will challenge Contador, he's just in a league of his own as a climber, but maybe Andy Schleck could be within reach. Bernadeau at least seems to think so ;)
I agree, Rolland has less physical talent than Andy but seems much stronger mentally. Also, judging by his win yesterday, it would seem that Rolland actually trains in the off-season too...something for Schleck to consider :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Bouhanni dropped from peleton....

Rolland is in the peleton and Traksel is 40 seconds in front of the peleton.

How can you get dropped in a 60km race without much obstacles?

I hope Traksel wins, he's good in this kind of weather :)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
How can you get dropped in a 60km race without much obstacles?

I hope Traksel wins, he's good in this kind of weather :)

You're right Pisti, I'm sure you'd have sat in no trouble.... :rolleyes:

Shorter stages are often faster.

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
They were suppose to go through Mur de Laudun in the primary version of the stage so if its stil on the circuit that climb may cause the difficulties.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'm not a professional cyclist.

So let me get this straight. You're suggesting any professional cyclist shouldn't be getting dropped in a 60km stage, regardless of the parcours?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
So let me get this straight. You're suggesting any professional cyclist shouldn't be getting dropped in a 60km stage, regardless of the parcours?

Depends on how he got dropped.

If it was by a crash, heavy wind(I'm guessing there was in fact heavy wind today there), still recovering from an injury, having been inactive for some time because of an injury or a mechanical than it's definitely excuseable. Otherwise, not really to be honest. If it's a flat race of course, so not regardless of the parcours.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I read Marcato's been working on his sprinting this winter; he must have been so frustrated by all the second places last year. Let's hope his training will result in many wins this season. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS