• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The fine art of the veiled doping admission-non-admission

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 24, 2010
Visit site
eatyourvitamins said:
This is more for humour than anything else... but it could potentially spark some debate regarding what has or has not qualified as such a statement.

Who do think has given the best 'veiled doping admission-non-admission'? They seem to be far more common and eloquent of late. Almost de rigeur...

I'll start the ball rolling by nominating Mr George Hincapie for this little gem from this CN story http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hincapie-unsure-of-long-term-impact-of-doping-controversy

Any favorites? Nominate away.
I felt very suspicious after that non statement, myself. Nobody asked him the question he seemed to be answering. It was a very strange statement, indeed.

Maxiton said:
Yeah, I want to know more about Horner. He seems to truly love Lance, and like he'd lay his life on the line for him. What's the story?

He is like the nerdy guy in high school who always wanted to be one of the cool kids but they never let him into the clique. Then one day a member had pity on him and let him carry his gym bag full of used jock straps to the parking lot. From then on he is as devoted to his cool kid connection as a lost twin to a dog named Tugboat.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Yeah, I want to know more about Horner. He seems to truly love Lance, and like he'd lay his life on the line for him. What's the story?

Chris is a Pro, he wants a job. If that means he has to pretend to like Wonderboy at a training camp and in 1-2 interviews a year then it is well worth it.

Back on topic, JV today in Le Figaro

Myself, I was part of this generation "doped."

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
RaceRadio said:

Quote:
Myself, I was part of this generation "doped."
Depends how you translate that particular quote. L'Arriviste has it as "I was part of this 'doped generation'". See the other thread.

It's close, but not quite the full cigar.

Here's a brilliant contradiction in terms... :)

"I think that was a mistake for Johan. He [should] have said in fact, Yes, I have taken EPO ... " Mattan said.

Did Mattan ever use forbidden products [himself]?

"Ach, who hasn't done a bad thing in his life?" he answered.

Nico Mattan thought Museeuw should just have made a straight admission in 2007, but then wouldn't make one of his own! :D (link: CN)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Chuffy said:
Depends how you translate that particular quote. L'Arriviste has it as "I was part of this 'doped generation'". See the other thread.

It's close, but not quite the full cigar.

You are correct, that is a more accurate translation.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Chris is a Pro, he wants a job. If that means he has to pretend to like Wonderboy at a training camp and in 1-2 interviews a year then it is well worth it.

Whoa, Nellie. That's fine if he is pretending. But it didn't look like play acting to me. That's why I asked.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He is like the nerdy guy in high school who always wanted to be one of the cool kids but they never let him into the clique. Then one day a member had pity on him and let him carry his gym bag full of used jock straps to the parking lot. From then on he is as devoted to his cool kid connection as a lost twin to a dog named Tugboat.

No, that's not a good characterization at all.

Horner's a really nice guy who had the misfortune of having no understanding of politics, and had a huge chip on his shoulder. He was working in a bike shop and paying his way to races, then riding for Nutrafig (which didn't pay much better), while constantly mouthing off that he had just as much talent as Lance, but wasn't in "the club", so he was mad about it.

There's an interview online (cyclingnews, daily peloton, somewhere...) where he goes into this in detail, how Lance had every advantage, even from his first days as a junior, and he had nothing, had to work for everything, blah, blah. He's right, BTW.

Anyway, he had a real chip on his shoulder regarding Lance in his early years, almost like Gerlach did, and he had a big mouth. That's a recipe for pi$$ing off big tex, so he never was going to get on Postal, and he's the sorta guy who needed an American team to race in Europe. And of course, that just fueled the giant chip on Horner's shoulder even more.

At some point, basically when he was out of options, he decided to kiss the ring and swallow his pride regarding Big Tex. He needed the paycheck, and he'd proven himself as a guy who can ride for others.

Once he got on the inside, he basically turned into a complete lap dog. This is different than a guy like Levi, who pretends to be a lap dog but talks smack as soon as he's out of earshot. Horner's love seems genuine.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
mwbyrd said:
And Och is running BMC...let's hope he's changed...

I felt terrible when Taylor Phinney signed with Och. Not only did it mean that the young Jedi had been tempted by the dark side... he'd long since been converted. It also cast a pall upon his parents (in my eyes).

Och hasn't changed. He's a huge part of the problem.

I prefer the full on admission:

"To Stilnoct and amphetamines, I added Valium... Sometimes I didn't sleep a second in five days. I started seeing things, people who didn't exist. Like people hiding around me in the bushes with telephoto lenses. I used to hear them coming, with their combat-shoes; they got out of their bus parked in front of the house. They were coming to arrest me. ****, my dope! I ran to the bathroom to throw my stock of amphetamines down the toilet and the syringes into the waste bin...
Sarah didn't used to see them and tried to get me to understand. But how couldn't she see them, those policemen, dozens of them, and their flashing lights! She must be crazy. But was she making it up: could she see them really?""

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Don't know how veiled you'd consider this to be - seems like a flat out admission to me:
L'un des problèmes du cyclisme n'est-il pas que la plupart des directeurs sportifs actuels étaient des coureurs qui ont baigné dans ces années de dopage ?
Jonathan Vaughters : Oui, c'est clair. Moi-même, j'ai fait partie de cette génération «dopée». Mais si nous avons la bonne mentalité, la bonne éthique, nous sommes les bonnes personnes. Parce que nous avons fait ces erreurs, nous savons la douleur intérieure de vivre avec ce mensonge.

Interesting how it echoes the Hincapie 'good people' line

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Pozzato talking about Ricco:
"I think it's certainly something that does damage to all of cycling, and it damages all of us who are doing everything possible to ensure that cycling goes well and is credible in the eyes of the public," Pozzato told Cyclingnews in Qatar.

Paco_P said:
That's just a bad translation. The Spanish word "tranquilo" means "calm" or "not worried" in this context.

However calm they all are from all of the tranquilizers they have been shooting, the word is the biggest flashing "I am a doper" sign there is.

What is not lost in translation is their contempt for the sport.

Dave.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Last week, Pereiro hit back at Landis’s statements. Speaking to VeloNews, the recently retired Spaniard said: “I believe that during my entire cycling career that I never had any sort of problem with doping. I am not going to respond to something like from someone like Floyd Landis, who did test positive.

Why is it that reads like "No worries guys, I've got no problem with doping"???

Did you guys see this?

pmshires: "And I think @Vaughters should either confess to doping or refrain from obtuse comments."
Vaughters: "@pmshires ..how do you know I haven't? Just because you don't read about it online, doesn't mean it hasn't happened."

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Did you guys see this?

pmshires: "And I think @Vaughters should either confess to doping or refrain from obtuse comments."
Vaughters: "@pmshires ..how do you know I haven't? Just because you don't read about it online, doesn't mean it hasn't happened."
Yup, saw that. Another one to add to the list. :D
I liked his follow up comment about stopping digging when you're in a hole...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Did you guys see this?

wonder is JV talking about confessing to the feds.

CowboyTx said:
Why is it that reads like "No worries guys, I've got no problem with doping"???

What language was the interview conducted in?

I accept that there are some intriguing wordings there that lead one towards a certain conclusion.

But if the interview was conducted in Spanish, has something been lost - or worse, added - in translation? We've seen how "directly" translating the Spanish word 'tranquillo' - which is used much more commonly than its English counterpart - leads to misleading conclusions (a bit like assuming Germans mean "beautiful" in the same sense as Anglophones every single time they use the word "schön").

And if the interview was conducted in English, it must be noted that it isn't Pereiro's first language - unless the response was scripted, it's unlikely that somebody who is not a scholar of the language or has not been resident in an English-speaking country for a decent length of time would be aware of the ambiguities of what they were saying; or they may be, but simply not have a strong enough vocabulary off the top of their heads to combat that ambiguity.

So maybe it's a non-admission admission, but maybe it isn't.

TRENDING THREADS