• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Nirvana said:
jsem94 said:
Kwiat and Moscon will light up the classics. Both of these dudes are actually capable of winning all five monuments. Insane.
I can't see Moscon win Sanremo with his lack of sprint on the flat, he should drop everyone on the Poggio or go away in the finale like Cancellara, very hard nowadays. And Kwiatkowski never tried Roubaix.
With the Lombardia routes used until same years ago i think the more likely to try the feat would be Van Avermaet but in the last years they switched to more climbers friendly routes that probably are too hard for him.
GVA does have the best overall finish record in all 5 with 5th, 2nd, 1st, 7th, 12th

Its a shame Phil G didn't do P-R last year or any year than the once he did it for that matter

Nibali and Sagan do not have the Cancellara rouleur skills. Dumoulin could have been the one but he's just another LeMondist obsessed with GT's. So I'll just hope Moscon could be the one and I'll root for him. Hopefully he leaves Sky any time soon but well Sky or Quick Step or Astana are all the same lemonade anyway.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Echoes said:
Nibali and Sagan do not have the Cancellara rouleur skills. Dumoulin could have been the one but he's just another LeMondist obsessed with GT's. So I'll just hope Moscon could be the one and I'll root for him. Hopefully he leaves Sky any time soon but well Sky or Quick Step or Astana are all the same lemonade anyway.

I don't know if Dumoulin cares only about GTs. Certainly he has moved more to GT's in recent years, but still he skipped the Vuelta to prepare for the world's TT. He did race things like Strade Bianchi and LBL this year. But peaking for the Giro and the Ardennnes is very difficult; he looked strong and ambitious in SB though. I know for a fact Dumoulin also cares about his home races of Eneco Tour and Amstel Gold Race. If he focuses on the TDF next year, I'm kind of expecting him to have an earlier peak for the Ardennes and come there with ambition. To be honest, I think Dumoulin is exhibiting some good oldfashioned Dutch greediness and he wants to win everything under the sun, including GTs. :D

But yeah, I also hope Moscon isn't going to go full in for stage racing now that he showed some potential for climbing. Such a talented all rounder, it would be a shame if he didn't target the classics.

Yeah, big misconception thinking Dumoulin will only care about GT's. Even with full focus on the Giro he loved doing Strade Bianchi and going full for it. And he was 4th in San Sebastian ofcourse
He also said that if he's in his later years and starts climbing less, he'd like to do Roubaix and Flanders. I really think Dumoulin might do Ardennes as peak next year before TDF.

Tonton said:
jsem94 said:
Kwiat and Moscon will light up the classics. Both of these dudes are actually capable of winning all five monuments. Insane.
Kwiat yes, Moscon? Maybe. I won't be rooting for him. Too bad that Nibali never really tried. Sagan will do it.
Nibali doesn't have what it takes to win RVV. Maybe Paris Roubaix considering how incredible he was in the tdf stage 2014 and I can imagine he'll try to win that race when he can't compete for the win in gt's anymore. Besides that however Nibali came close to win all the other monuments. He won Il Lombardia, was incredibly close to winning LBL in 2012 I think and was on the podium in MSR as well. Problem there is simply that you need a half decent sprint to win because finishing solo is almost impossible.
I'm not sure about Kwiats chances in the cobbles classics. He won E3, but he had problems on the cobbles and could only win by an attack on a tarmac climb after everything came together after the last cobbled climb. You can't win RVV and PR that way, since there are no tarmac climbs.
Sagan would have to improve his climbing a lot if he wants to win Lombardia and I don't see that happening. Gilbert maybe has what it takes to win all monuments but time running out and same counts for GVA although I also think his climbing isn't good enough for Lombardia anyway.

Moscon however could really be good enough. If the racing situation plays into his hands the climbing shape he showed in the Vuelta could be enough to win win Lombardia, there isn't really any doubt that he climbs strong enough for LBL and considering he already finished 5th in PR I think he is strong enough for cobbles classics as well. The most difficult race for him might be MSR since I don't know how well he sprints and as I wrote earlier, even if you can follow attacks on the final climb or reduce the bunch yourself, it's very unlikely to finish solo and even in a reduced sprint you will always have guys like Kwiat, Sagan, GVA or Alaphilippe in your group and beating them is very difficult.

Gigs_98 said:
Tonton said:
jsem94 said:
Kwiat yes, Moscon? Maybe. I won't be rooting for him. Too bad that Nibali never really tried. Sagan will do it.
Nibali doesn't have what it takes to win RVV. Maybe Paris Roubaix considering how incredible he was in the tdf stage 2014 and I can imagine he'll try to win that race when he can't compete for the win in gt's anymore. Besides that however Nibali came close to win all the other monuments. He won Il Lombardia, was incredibly close to winning LBL in 2012 I think and was on the podium in MSR as well. Problem there is simply that you need a half decent sprint to win because finishing solo is almost impossible.
I'm not sure about Kwiats chances in the cobbles classics. He won E3, but he had problems on the cobbles and could only win by an attack on a tarmac climb after everything came together after the last cobbled climb. You can't win RVV and PR that way, since there are no tarmac climbs.
Sagan would have to improve his climbing a lot if he wants to win Lombardia and I don't see that happening. Gilbert maybe has what it takes to win all monuments but time running out and same counts for GVA although I also think his climbing isn't good enough for Lombardia anyway.

Moscon however could really be good enough. If the racing situation plays into his hands the climbing shape he showed in the Vuelta could be enough to win win Lombardia, there isn't really any doubt that he climbs strong enough for LBL and considering he already finished 5th in PR I think he is strong enough for cobbles classics as well. The most difficult race for him might be MSR since I don't know how well he sprints and as I wrote earlier, even if you can follow attacks on the final climb or reduce the bunch yourself, it's very unlikely to finish solo and even in a reduced sprint you will always have guys like Kwiat, Sagan, GVA or Alaphilippe in your group and beating them is very difficult.
Moscon has already ridden several half decent sprints, even though they weren't pure flat sprints, but then again, neither is MSR.

Re:

jsem94 said:
I don't know what he has done to deserve that. We know he is talented but for all we know he could just follow wheels for a whole race and attack in the last 3km. This year at Paris-Roubaix he attacked a couple of times because he knew he wasn't being marked, and anyway one race isn't enough to really gauge how aggressive a rider he is.

Vasilis said:
Gigs_98 said:
Tonton said:
jsem94 said:

Moscon has already ridden several half decent sprints, even though they weren't pure flat sprints, but then again, neither is MSR.
Sanremo is a flat sprint at high speed coming after the Poggio descent, totally different from punchy uphill sprints like the one in Burgos or in the Vuelta where he was second.

And in the interview after Roubaix he said that he tried to start the sprint early coming at higher speed from back because he doesn't stand a chance in a flat sprint.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
I don't know if Dumoulin cares only about GTs. Certainly he has moved more to GT's in recent years, but still he skipped the Vuelta to prepare for the world's TT. He did race things like Strade Bianchi and LBL this year. But peaking for the Giro and the Ardennnes is very difficult; he looked strong and ambitious in SB though. I know for a fact Dumoulin also cares about his home races of Eneco Tour and Amstel Gold Race. If he focuses on the TDF next year, I'm kind of expecting him to have an earlier peak for the Ardennes and come there with ambition. To be honest, I think Dumoulin is exhibiting some good oldfashioned Dutch greediness and he wants to win everything under the sun, including GTs. :D

But yeah, I also hope Moscon isn't going to go full in for stage racing now that he showed some potential for climbing. Such a talented all rounder, it would be a shame if he didn't target the classics.

To be honest I never would have thought until this year that Dumoulin could have won a GT. He proved me wrong. But then if he is concerned with classics, then I'm pretty happy to read that. :) However I would have seen him more at Paris-Roubaix than in Liège-Bastogne-LIège which is less and less suited to rouleurs and if you are to perform on Paris-Roubaix, usually you need experience and so far he's never raced it.

I've always enjoyed his performances at the Lowlands Tour, as well.

I'm not sure that Moscon would ever turn to a GT rider. Sky tried to transform Kwiatkovski these last few years and now they realised that the classics were his terrain and he's making a great season. I hope that Moscon won't make the same mistake.

Echoes said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

To be honest I never would have thought until this year that Dumoulin could have won a GT. He proved me wrong. But then if he is concerned with classics, then I'm pretty happy to read that. :) However I would have seen him more at Paris-Roubaix than in Liège-Bastogne-LIège which is less and less suited to rouleurs and if you are to perform on Paris-Roubaix, usually you need experience and so far he's never raced it.

I've always enjoyed his performances at the Lowlands Tour, as well.

I'm not sure that Moscon would ever turn to a GT rider. Sky tried to transform Kwiatkovski these last few years and now they realised that the classics were his terrain and he's making a great season. I hope that Moscon won't make the same mistake.
I don't know who it was but I remember someone writing on this forum that winning Paris Roubaix is a goal for Dumoulin. :)

Re:

Brullnux said:
Seeing as Kwiatkowski has only been at sky since 2016, sky really have not "tried to transform" him. He just had a crap season in 2016 (and 2015).

I just remember that Laurent Bruwier of the RTBF said that Sky made him slim down in order to make a climber out of him and it didn't prevail. I think it was during the live coverage of the Strade Bianche or of Milan-Sanremo (don't remember which one I followed on RTBF :p)

Perhaps he's wrong though.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
According to La Gazzetta he never watched the WC on TV when he was younger, durning that time there's also harvest season for apples, so he had to work on the fields. I can relate to that (missing races because you have to work on the fields). :D

Would you like to be a racist?
Would you like to beat Vincenzo Nibali et al in the high mountains?
Do you relate to being a top5 finisher in the hardest and most specific classic there is?
Would you like to be on par with the heroes of the cobbled classics?
Do you think #6 is your righteous spot in the WCITT?
Look no further.

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site

franic said:
Singer01 said:
jaylew said:
DQ'd today for holding on to the team car.
Wonder if they would have had the stones to do that if he'd won?
Its a BS decision. I wonder how many did the same today or any other day.
They should have been DSQ like Bardet at Paris-Nice.
Of course, since people extol the virtues of the top 10 of TJVG in the Vuelta while he should have been disqualified, then people complain.
Italy does that pretty often. Remember Nibali in florence. Finally, the jury did the right thing.

DingoGuesdon said:
franic said:
Singer01 said:
jaylew said:
DQ'd today for holding on to the team car.
Wonder if they would have had the stones to do that if he'd won?
Its a BS decision. I wonder how many did the same today or any other day.
They should have been DSQ like Bardet at Paris-Nice.
Of course, since people extol the virtues of the top 10 of TJVG in the Vuelta while he should have been disqualified, then people complain.
Italy does that pretty often. Remember Nibali in florence. Finally, the jury did the right thing.
The Nibali one in 2013 it's rarely remembered but was incredible, i was on the street and they passed at more than double of normal speed, he was lucky that he was almost alone in that moment.

TRENDING THREADS