• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Moscon brought it upon himself. He could have said "no comment" or "I just want to move on."

Instead he acted like he was being persecuted, "I didn't kill anyone" and "this is ridiculous."

People are rooting for punishment to lead to rehabilitation, and the fact that Moscon is not at all contrite about it suggests that it did not.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
hrotha said:
For the sake of the argument, let's say I agree that a short temper and a heated discussion can result in throwing racist abuse at someone despite not being an overt racist (I don't actually agree, but ok). Even if that were the case, Moscon has had plenty of time to cool down and think about what he did, but he still chose to say the whole thing was ridiculous and to strongly suggest he didn't learn ***-all or feel any remorse. This is so obvious to me that I'm genuinely amazed anyone would disagree.

This is why I've not posted much on this subject. I really can't see how anyone would defend anything about Moscon in this situation.
VMT.

I also think Sky have to take some responsibility as well. Their 'punishment' of letting him finish the race, then banning him when he probably wasn't going to race anyway, probably didn't get the message through to him that this is a serious (indeed criminal) offence.

Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Nairo Quintana said in an interview that: racism by Anglo-Europeans in the peloton against the Colombians "hasn't changed" and that he and Jarlinson Pantano were racially abused, and got in conflicts over it during the Tour de l'Avenir.

I thought Quintana said he got abuse from French riders, I have no idea what anglo=europeans are though, is this some prejdicde against anglos that yo want to blame them for everything?

Anyway disappointing from Moscon, he does not seem to have learned from this

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
rick james said:
what the hell is Anglo-Europeans ?

Means both UK and Europe.
People from both places. Not hard to understand

The UK is in Europe, so if that's what you meant the anglo part is redundant. If you hyphenate two words you imply they both apply to the same thing.

If you meant Anglos (English? British? Aussies? I'm never sure how people are applying this) and main land Europeans you shouldn't hyphenate them.

rick james said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
rick james said:

English native speaking Europeans is the correct definition. (Not trying to start a war here, but perhaps the interviewer/translator tought he could use Anglo in this context as a synonym for Non-hispanic, like in Anglo-Americans)
and what the hell is that?

What we have is folks that don't have an issue with Moscon's behavior trying to divert attention from the issue at hand by creating one that doesn't exist.

Angliru said:
rick james said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
rick james said:

English native speaking Europeans is the correct definition. (Not trying to start a war here, but perhaps the interviewer/translator tought he could use Anglo in this context as a synonym for Non-hispanic, like in Anglo-Americans)
and what the hell is that?

What we have is folks that don't have an issue with Moscon's behavior trying to divert attention from the issue at hand by creating one that doesn't exist.

I'm referring to his recent seeming lack of remorse. That is what prompted the current dialogue. This thread had been dormant until he made his most recent statements.

Edit: So I guess now you feel that you have been offended in some way by the "Anglo-European" quote?

Moscon probably expressed regrets, remorse, apologies and admitted he made a mistake. You are just making up your own reality to ostracise a possibly good person. It's a very sad attitude. Just because he refused to reiterate the said regrets ...

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Echoes said:
Moscon probably expressed regrets, remorse, apologies and admitted he made a mistake. You are just making up your own reality to ostracise a possibly good person. It's a very sad attitude. Just because he refused to reiterate the said regrets ...

Yeah your statements are solidly based upon facts

Re:

Echoes said:
I meant "definitely" of course. It's factual. Every news report of the accident say it. It's baffling to contradict it...

"Moscon pushed back on the idea that the incident could have damaged his profile as a talented young rider, claiming he had a lot of support in the peloton."

'I've always had a lot of support from my colleagues, they knew it was something ridiculous. A lot of people cheered for me during the race,' he explained.

Excerpt taken from the June 19th Cycling News article.

This doesn't sound to me like someone that accepts and recognizes the error of his ways.

His team's public statement indicated that Moscon "knows that there is no excuse for his behavior" but to read his own statement one would have to think otherwise. His fear it appears is the loss of his job. He knows now to keep his racist statemens behind closed doors.

SafeBet said:
hrotha said:
Could you elaborate on what he said? That sounds... interesting.
Well the whole interview seems full of... unawareness. He actually comes accros like a person that doesn't really understand what racism is and why it is so serious, the kind of person who would benefit from a diversity awareness course (whatever this means).

He repeatedly claims he's not a racist, even that his reaction was not racist because when you're riding at 50km/h you don't think about one's colour of skin.
He says he apologised at the end of the stage and Reza was cool, that he doesn't understand why Reichenbach took it to Twitter and that the whole FDJ team was relaxed when he and Sky went to the team bus for an official apology.
He was surprised when the media talked about the issue, he even says: "the journalists wanted to mount a case. I know it's big news if you say that a rider is racist, but it wasn't like that".
Then the interviewer asks him if he said a racial slur. And he replies: "I said a word, I know I was wrong and that insulting is unacceptable, but regardless of your skin colour."