• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's worth remembering that if almost any other rider at Sky managed to create so many public relations disasters in a few months, they would be out the door so fast their feet wouldn't touch the ground. Moscon is protected by his talent. He's arguably the number 2 rider on the team, unquestionably one of the most important four or five. I would be surprised if Sky jettison him almost no matter what he does. That's not to single out Sky particularly, the same incentives would exist for any other team. I'd say their PR people reflexively flinch whenever they hear his name at this point though.

He hasn't had a new contract announced yet, has he?

CyclingDaddy55 said:
Wow, I didn't realize how many posters on here were so all-knowing and all-wise. I guess it is easier to judge someone without even an investigation. Is Reichenbach innocent in all of this? Who knows/ We may never know but let's tar and feather Moscon anyway and hang him on a stake. Not only is that line of thought sad but it is entirely stupid. Let's keep in mind, out on the road stuff happens. Lots of stuff that no one ever hears about. Lot of words are exchanged that no one ever hears about. Moscon is now portrayed as this huge racist. Wonder if anyone else who rides could be classified as a racist? Who knows? Perhaps Reichenbach is simply too thin-skinned? Maybe he needs to grow a pair. Doubt Moscon is the only who ever uttered anything derogatory in a race. lol And I highly doubt Moscon is the only who ever had sticky fingers, cold fingers or any other kind of fingers in a race. What's that old saying? Oh yeah, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".

This kind of drivel borders on the obscene.

CyclingDaddy55 said:
Wow, I didn't realize how many posters on here were so all-knowing and all-wise. I guess it is easier to judge someone without even an investigation. Is Reichenbach innocent in all of this? Who knows/ We may never know but let's tar and feather Moscon anyway and hang him on a stake. Not only is that line of thought sad but it is entirely stupid. Let's keep in mind, out on the road stuff happens. Lots of stuff that no one ever hears about. Lot of words are exchanged that no one ever hears about. Moscon is now portrayed as this huge racist. Wonder if anyone else who rides could be classified as a racist? Who knows? Perhaps Reichenbach is simply too thin-skinned? Maybe he needs to grow a pair. Doubt Moscon is the only who ever uttered anything derogatory in a race. lol And I highly doubt Moscon is the only who ever had sticky fingers, cold fingers or any other kind of fingers in a race. What's that old saying? Oh yeah, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".

The fact that you quote a children's nursery rhyme to end your post is quite fitting. :D

Re: Re:

loge1884 said:
apart of your obvious problems with Peter Sagan ... he is my favorite cyclist and I am not saying what he did to Max Vantomme (thanks, the name escaped me) was right - and yes Sagan should have been punished for that (if he wasn't, I can't recall), no question .... what I wanted to point out was, that the Sagan/Vantomme incident was within what I would call the red line of cycling (fighting for a position) - to be sanctioned of course, but clearly with no intend to harm the other person, just a bit of fighting for a better position in a reckless way ... the intend to injure someone is clearly passing the red line

Of course, Sagan has not been punished for that accident. Until it's a personality like Cavendish as victim, he's above the law. Your red line is very lax. Her Highness was way too far from the lead on the Kemmel when the decisive move was to start and since he thinks it's his natural right to be in the front, all the guys that separate him from the lead needs to be bodychecked to the ditch. It was just more than a reckless fight to keep position. By that time several worshippers found a way to claim it was unintentional.

And I keep saying that if it's true that Moscon wished to take a revenge for what happen back in April, I can no longer defend him. Unlike some might think I can also change my mind and am ... human. Theonly thought is so scary that I would want to even figure it out and just hope it's not true. It would be too dramatic for the sport.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
CyclingDaddy55 said:

Surprised you even know how to spell the word drivel. lol You can't even respond with anything more intelligent than that. You must be living in a fantasy world to think Moscon is the only one who has ever said or done anything on the road.

Echoes said:
Of course, Sagan has not been punished for that accident. Until it's a personality like Cavendish as victim, he's above the law. Your red line is very lax. Her Highness was way too far from the lead on the Kemmel when the decisive move was to start and since he thinks it's his natural right to be in the front, all the guys that separate him from the lead needs to be bodychecked to the ditch. It was just more than a reckless fight to keep position. By that time several worshippers found a way to claim it was unintentional.

And I keep saying that if it's true that Moscon wished to take a revenge for what happen back in April, I can no longer defend him. Unlike some might think I can also change my mind and am ... human. Theonly thought is so scary that I would want to even figure it out and just hope it's not true. It would be too dramatic for the sport.
This is what fighting for positions looks like, this time with Sagan on the receiving end: http://tiz-cycling.racing/video/tour-de-france-2016-stage-03-full-stage/ (watch from 2:58:10)

There are a lot of these shoulders and elbows between riders during races, most of which we do not get to see. Concerning Moscon, he might have been just unlucky that the other rider affected was someone with whom he had some "history", so even if there could have been no connection to the Reza incident, it is so easy to see it in this one. Really curious what the other riders say they saw.

CyclingDaddy55 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
CyclingDaddy55 said:

Surprised you even know how to spell the word drivel. lol You can't even respond with anything more intelligent than that. You must be living in a fantasy world to think Moscon is the only one who has ever said or done anything on the road.

I realise that your semi-literacy must make it very difficult to interact with others on a text based forum, so I don't wish to be gratuitously unkind, but nobody has ever suggested that Moscon "is the only one who has ever said or done anything on the road".

There are a number of riders who have been revealed as racists because their decision to racially abuse a colleague at work has been publicly revealed. Moscon is the most recent, but not the only one. There are also a number of riders who have been expelled from races for cheating in the same manner as Moscon. There are also a number of riders who have been accused of deliberately causing other riders to crash. What all of these things have in common, although varying with the degree of seriousness of the offence involved and the credibility of the allegation, is that they lower the opinion of the perpetrator held by most observers. Or at least most reasonable observers, the kind who think that actions like racially abusing a colleague at work are the actions of a scumbag.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Do we have a video yet or is this just pages upon pages of idle speculation? When you enter a race and crash, the first, second and third assumption is that 1) *** happens and 2) no one owes you anything, don't race bikes when you don't want to crash, you take your competitors as they are and when one of them is a terrible descender and hits the deck taking you with them, that is still not his fault.

Moscon would pretty much have to throw a bottle straight into Reichenbachs spokes to consider it some sort of premeditated attack.

Re:

hazaran said:
Do we have a video yet or is this just pages upon pages of idle speculation? When you enter a race and crash, the first, second and third assumption is that 1) **** happens and 2) no one owes you anything, don't race bikes when you don't want to crash, you take your competitors as they are and when one of them is a terrible descender and hits the deck taking you with them, that is still not his fault.

Moscon would pretty much have to throw a bottle straight into Reichenbachs spokes to consider it some sort of premeditated attack.

As far as I know there is no video. Reichenbach stated there were witnesses. Moscon stated that Reichenbach took both hands off of his bars, that was why he crashed and that he had nothing to do with it.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
One can only guess it's being investigated by the UCI - Time will tell.

Well I guess if the UCI is on the case we can expect a swift, decisive, reasonable, fair, accomodating, grounded in their statutes elaborate response :lol:

I guess in 2020 we'll find their judgement as a mysterious PDF on some dark corner of the UCI website, and it will be an image of a dense Swiss French legal treatise

CyclingDaddy55 said:
Angliru said:
CyclingDaddy55 said:

The fact that you quote a children's nursery rhyme to end your post is quite fitting. :D

I had to make it that way so you could grasp the concept. So, did you misplace your crayons or did Mommy decide to let you play with the computer? lol

Your concept of stone age logic just seemed way to ridiculous to be taken seriously. Forgive me for mistakenly giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'll know better next time.

CyclingDaddy55 said:
Wow, I didn't realize how many posters on here were so all-knowing and all-wise.
CyclingDaddy55 said:
I guess it is easier to judge someone without even an investigation.
CyclingDaddy55 said:
Perhaps Reichenbach is simply too thin-skinned? Maybe he needs to grow a pair.
CyclingDaddy55 said:

The moment you can make a contradicting dialogue out of one single not-very coherent post, is the moment I lol.
Besides being thin-skinned, I may suggest Reichenbach is thin-elbowed, too, as he broke one in the incident.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Are there any precedents in cycling for athletes getting criminal charges for assault while in competition? In baseball, hockey, football, there are full-on brawls between teams, which are unnecessary and illegal violence, but nothing happens because it's considered part of the sport. Nobody wants to press charges.

Footballer jailed for 3 months for on-field head butt.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm amazed by the granitic conclusions people can reach without having seen a single footage of the crash. Either ways (i.e. Moscon is a saint vs Moscon is a devil), it seems a little bit premature to judges, isn't it?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been following this closely, but read somewhere else that Reichenbach was the first to sound the alarm on the racist thing.
Can anyone confirm this?

If that is indeed the case, then perhaps Moscon was paying him back (peloton is a small world).
Or perhaps Reichenbach has some issue with Moscon and is willing to lie (stretch the truth) to get him down..

All speculation, but sure seems a lot of smoke recently. Though it doesnt have to be a bonfire (yet)?

Re:

mrhender said:
I haven't been following this closely, but read somewhere else that Reichenbach was the first to sound the alarm on the racist thing.
Can anyone confirm this?
Reichenbach was the first to draw attention to the incident on twitter, he posted something along the lines of "I can't believe there are still riders in the peloton that believe racist insults are okay, you bring shame to our sport" without naming names. Then pics emerged and it became clear it must've been Moscon.

It's too early to jump to conclusions. All we know, right now, is that a crash happened and as a result, SR has a broken elbow and a broken pelvis (according to l'Equipe). We know about the tweet: it happened. Was the accident provoked by Moscon? Was it deliberate? Was the tweet the motive (old beef) or did something happen just before the accident? We'll see what the witnesses say. If some footage surfaces. As far as the motive is concerned, we'll never know. I doubt that Seb would make this story up. Moscon is a douch', but we can't jump to conclusions.

IF it was deliberate, we're talking about a crime here. That's serious stuff. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We'll know a lot more soon enough.

TRENDING THREADS