• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Giro D'Italia Time Game!

Yesterday I came up with this game in mind, and I wanna try it. :D

Participants: (At least 8 requested)
Eshnar
Geraint Too Fast
karaev
keithmcmahon
Afrank
vladimir
hustoles
Hartog
NairoQ
hoegarden
oliveira
Galácticos

RULES:
At first it may seem a bit complicated, but it's just appearance.

The players will compete for all the jerseys of the Giro: pink, red, blue and white. After each stage there will be a stage classification, where every player will get a stage time to add up to his gc. The first three players of the stage get the time bonuses exactly like the real Giro.

In order to play, you have to create a team of 20 riders, with at least 7 riders eligible for the white jersey. In case you choose more than 7 young riders, you must indicate the 7 who will compete for the white. The others will be considered for the gc only and you won't be able to change them, so choose wisely.
Of these 20 riders, you must indicate 5 "special riders": 1 "captain", 1 "sprinter", 1 "climber" and 2 "watercarriers". The purpose of these roles will be clarified in the stage time rules.

STAGE TIME:
How does a player get his stage time? Rather simple: his "base stage time" is the average stage time of all his riders (time bonuses included). In addiction, every player has several ways to get bonus (or malus) seconds.
- "Captain Malus" (CM): every time your captain is not in the best three riders of yours in the stage, you get a malus of 15'' on your stage time.
- "Captain Bonus" (CB): every time your captain wins a stage, you get a bonus of 20'' on your stage time!
- "Sprinter Bonus" (SB): every time your sprinter gets points for the red jersey, those points are converted into bonus seconds. So if he wins a stage, 25 points become 25 bonus seconds for your time.
- "Watercarrier Bonus" (WB): every time one of your watercarriers gets the worst placement between your riders, you get a bonus of 10''.

After all the bonuses have been assigned, the stage classification will assign 15'', 8'' and 5'' to the best three players and everything will be added to the GC. If two or more players get the same stage time, the tie braker rules will determine the stage classification. They will be explained later.

Every time one of your riders DNF or DNS ofc his time won't affect the average, but you will get a malus of 2 minutes on that stage time. If he's one of your special riders, you simply won't have the chance to get his possible bonus (or malus) anymore.

During every rest day, you can change all your special roles between your riders.

That was all for the stage. Whoever wins the GC after stage 21 will get the pink jersey. ;)

Now, for the other jerseys: let's continue with the red one.

THE RED JERSEY CONTEST
Just like RL. Every stage classification will assign Red Jersey points for each player. 25 points to the stage winner, then 20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1. (I hope there will be enough players to use all the points).
Not much to add. Please note that the real points your riders get will NOT matter for you (unless it's the sprinter, in which case it will matter for your stage time)

THE BLUE JERSEY CONTEST
This contest is directly related to the real Giro. Quite simply, all the KOM points your riders will get in each stage are yours. The points taken by your "climber" will be tripled. Whoever takes more points after 21 stages wears blue.

THE WHITE JERSEY CONTEST
The average overall time of your 7 designated youngsters will be your "white gc time". There are no bonuses here. If one of them DNF/DNS you will get a permanent malus of 3 minutes and his overall time won't count anymore.
If none of your youngsters survives, you will be eliminated from the White Jersey competition.

STAGE TIE BREAKERS
The average time of your riders will be truncated at the seconds, for the GC (like in RL). But decimals will count for defining stage positions, if it's necessary. In case two or more players can't be untied by decimals, the one with the best placed captain (in the stage classification, not the GC) will be first. In case the players have the same captain, the attention will be to the sprinter. If it's the same too, the one with the worst placed watercarrier gets the best position.
Tie breakers will be applied only for the award of the first three places (for stage bonus).

GC TIE BREAKERS
In case two or more players share the same overall time, the tie breakers applied will be the same of the stage classification, with the difference that it will be the placement of the riders in the GC that will count, instead of the stage.
Tie breakers will be applied only for the award of the pink jersey.

RED JERSEY TIE BREAKERS
The same tie breakers used by the real Giro will be applied: most stage wins, most second places and so on.
Tie breakers will be applied only for the award of the red jersey.

BLUE JERSEY TIE BREAKERS
In case two or more players get the same amount of overall KOM points, the one with the "climber" better placed in the KOM classification will be first. If they have the same climber, the player who earned points with the most riders wins.
Tie breakers will be applied only for the award of the blue jersey.

WHITE JERSEY TIE BREAKERS
In case two or more players have the same white overall time, the player with the worst youngster in the GC wins. If two or more players picked the same team, the one who has the worst watercarrier in the GC wins.
Tie breakers will be applied only for the award of the white jersey.

HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION:
Just write your name here, and I'll add your name in the first post. You must send me your team roster via PM before Saturday at 16:00 CET.
It would be better if you send me it this way: only surnames (unless there's a potential misunderstanding). To designate a special rider, just put a label after his surname.
CP=captain
SP=sprinter
CL=climber
WC=watercarrier

EXAMPLE:

Rider1
Rider2
Rider3
Rider4 CP
Rider5
Rider6
Rider7
Rider8 WC
Rider9
Rider10
Rider11
Rider12 SP
Rider13
-------
Youngster1
Youngster2 CL
Youngster3
Youngster4 WC
Youngster5
Youngster6
Youngster7

Any questions? (I expect many)

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Sounds intersting! I'm in too.
I find it intersting that i have to chose some really bad cyclists for the water carryers spot. BTW, what happens if they quit the race?

karaev said:
Sounds intersting! I'm in too.
I find it intersting that i have to chose some really bad cyclists for the water carryers spot. BTW, what happens if they quit the race?
If they quit you'll get a 2 minutes malus on that particular stage, then they'll just disappear and won't affect the outcome anymore.
Yes, you have to choose some not-so-strong riders, but remember that they still enter in the calculation of your base stage time, so you have to make the right choice ;)

Rules have been updated.
The most important change regards the number of young riders you must have. Now it is 7.

Another important change is that you'll be allowed to change your special roles during the rest days.

Finally time bonuses have been reduced.

For now we're only 4... Let's say the game won't start if we'll be less than 8. :p

Spread the word, guys! :D

May 3, 2013
Visit site
my roster

Hello, I put it here, I hope, there are no mistakes.
Hustoles

Rider1 Wiggins
Rider2 Sanchez
Rider3 Hesjedal
Rider4 CP Nibali
Rider5 Scarponi
Rider6 Pozzovivo
Rider7 Uran
Rider8 WC Ji Cheng
Rider9 Gesink
Rider10 WC Niemiec
Rider11 Kiserlovski