• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Giro D'Washington

A

Anonymous

So it looks like its all set to be confirmed tommorow.

The 2012 Giro will start in america with a prologue, the riders will fly to italy on sunday and have a rest day on monday before resuming racing on tuesday.

Link

Frankly, the most ridiculous thing i have heard, and makes a mockery of the tradition of the race.. Hate the idea. Disgraceful. :(

edit: just noticed this is in the general news thread.. Ah well, it will probably draw enough discussion to justify a thread.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a dumb idea for the Giro.

BUT...

You can be sure I'm going to drive up to DC to watch it. I don't know if I'll ever get over to Europe to see a grand tour... this might be my only chance.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I like the idea. It's huge for American cycling and not entirely inappropriate: the Roman constitution and government was a major influence on the US government. If it were in any other city, I wouldn't like it (would still go), but Washington just works. Starting in DC and finishing in Rome is strangely symbolic.

The only other time I could see pros of this caliber is in the Tour of Georgia...oh wait :(

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Fine for American spectators, pure hell on the teams. They're nothing but Meat Popsicles for $$$.

It's a really stupid idea though .... since DC has no connection to Italy. What's next ..... let's start the TDF in New Zealand?

All this reaks of corruption...... so what's new?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
Fine for American spectators, pure hell on the teams. They're nothing but Meat Popsicles for $$$.

It's a really stupid idea though .... since DC has no connection to Italy. What's next ..... let's start the TDF in New Zealand?

All this reaks of corruption...... so what's new?

Really? No connection to Italy? Have you been to DC? Have you studied the US constitution as it relates to Roman government? Even that article mentions the sculptures on the Arlington memorial bridge, cast in bronze and given by Italians to DC.

We discussed this before. The only way I see it working is if they have the first 3-4 stages in the US. The last day in the US being a short (100km) morning circuit race. Then a fly day, then a rest day (meaning two days off), and the day after that an afternoon circuit or short flat stage in Italy, before the Giro continues "normally".

It's not very European (and I'd argue the founding fathers were much more influenced by Aristotle and the Greeks, through John Locke), but it's something new and I think worth a try.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The logistics of the Giro start there will be a massive task. If the current information is correct, the prologue will be the only stage to be held on American soil; the riders, race officials, team staff and journalists will fly out that Saturday evening, land in Italy on Sunday, have a rest day on Monday and then resume one day later.
From the VeloNation article

If they do it, I hope it's for more than just a prologue. You give the riders jet lag both ways, and two long plane rides. The logistics for the mechanics and staff having supplies and equipment on two continents at once seems a nightmare. Do they just bring TT bikes, and leave the road bikes in Italy, or will certain riders come over early to train on the route (good luck with that), and want to have their road bikes along? And go through all of it for ten or twenty minutes of racing?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
We discussed this before. The only way I see it working is if they have the first 3-4 stages in the US. The last day in the US being a short (100km) morning circuit race. Then a fly day, then a rest day (meaning two days off), and the day after that an afternoon circuit or short flat stage in Italy, before the Giro continues "normally".

It's not very European (and I'd argue the founding fathers were much more influenced by Aristotle and the Greeks, through John Locke), but it's something new and I think worth a try.

Fair point. You could easily make the case that everything is a footnote to the Greeks, but looking at the Senate and Roman constitution, the US does owe a bit of credit to Ancient Rome.

Discussion for another thread though.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Really? No connection to Italy? Have you been to DC? Have you studied the US constitution as it relates to Roman government? Even that article mentions the sculptures on the Arlington memorial bridge, cast in bronze and given by Italians to DC.

So this is the big connection? My little town in Ohio has big connections to Italy too then. I'm sure much of the eastern US does for that matter ...... so lets just have the whole Giro in the USA. LOL ;)

All the statue's and immigrants in the US doesn't make a bad idea any better.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
why 2013...? You know something that we dont?

Doh! sorry. I meant 2012.

As bad as it is for the riders it will be plenty of fun. DC is a great town. Easy to get around by bike and lots of good riding. Should be a fun weekend.

Holding any stages of the Giro in the US is pure stupidity. The idea is worse than the Tour of America that had been proposed a couple of years back. Are they going to start the next year in China, Korea, or Taiwan? At least with those countries, they manufacture the bikes the guys are riding.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I think Alpe's summary of the events is correct - flying East for 6 hours and then get down to hard racing will be kind of tough. Granted that there will be the logistics to get to the start town, hotel, accomodation etc.

BUT having an event like this for once on US soil, might just garner some new interest into a sport that is very European

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
As much as it does not make sense....

it will be a success and I'll also be there for sure!

Don't see how starting the Tour in London compared to the Giro in DC is any different for the "authenticity" of the race

the logistics...now thats another story; riders are minions and will do as they say as usual

Theyll probably take it easy on the first 2 stages back in Italy or something, they ride bicycles for a living....somehow i dont feel too bad for them

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think this is a great idea but since it's my favorite race of the season and since I live six hours from DC I'll be there none the less.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Should we make reservations now? That is a fairly impressive beer list, one could die trying to get a reasonable sampling.

It is an amazing place. I could see Scott change his username to Scott DC if he ever went.

Woo hoo. But they should have given the UCI the finger and made the Giro a few days longer than three weeks so they could have days in the U.S.

Good thing there won't be a stage where the Italians get to see the Jersey Shore. That would be embarrassing.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
While I think it is rather crazy logistics I still will be scheduling a "Business Meeting" in DC for early May 2013.

Of course we will have to have a meeting here
http://www.lovethebeer.com/brickskeller.html
The best bar in American.

I could spend weeks in that bar, never see sunlight and still be content!

at any rate, the idea of a DC prologue is obviously a bit of a logistical nightmare but it's marketing and money genius. I'll be there....

A

Anonymous

kurtinsc said:
I think it's a dumb idea for the Giro.

BUT...

You can be sure I'm going to drive up to DC to watch it. I don't know if I'll ever get over to Europe to see a grand tour... this might be my only chance.

+1

You can bet I'll be there.

TRENDING THREADS