• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Golf Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'll take a putter and a couple of golf balls, think I should at least be able to putt a bit in the backyard. But any sort of hard swinging is out due to nagging hip bursitis...

If nothing else I can always toss the ball at Toby the Dog. Although, he's getting to be too old too to be chasing much of anything, including squirrels! :tearsofjoy:
Better to toss balls for Toby. Dogs are the happiest form of life on the planet. Maybe dolphins but their intelligence would make them a little anxious about humans.

I barely follow golf, mostly through headline hunting and/or news blips, but the 'new league' split is kind of intriguing. Maybe the PGA needed a kick in the butt, I just don't know if LIV is the correct organization to do it. I've read a little bit of the back and forth trash talk which doesn't seem to fit with the etiquette of golf, but its kinda entertaining.
When I posted this almost a year ago I didn't foresee the two combining. I don't see how PGA/LIV is any different than what they had before the split, except for the huge cash infusion.

So much golf talk lately has made me want to watch the Canadian Open which is currently underway, it actually has a pretty strong and recognizable start list. (Rory McIlroy, Justin Rose, Matt Kuchar, Mike Weir, etc.)

One name that I haven't heard in a long time is Camilo Villegas (who is also playing), I remember when he was younger he used to be called Spiderman because of the way he stretched out on the ground while reading a hole. Wonder if at 41 he can still do the Spiderman, hopefully he'll make the cut.

Reactions: jmdirt
A Canadian won a major for the first time since they started using specific golf clubs instead of just random sticks.
-Looong putt
-His friend and fellow golfer got body slammed by a security guard for celebrating on the green.
I didn't catch much of the Canadian Open over the weekend, but I did at least take a peek at Nick Taylor's scorecard at one point, he made an impressive number of birdies. Being you mentioned his equipment I had to check what he uses (cause just like you need specific bike equipment to ride like a pro you need very specific golf equipment to play like a pro :tearsofjoy: ), I'm not sure his putter is even a putter. What will these kids come up with next...

PS -Sorry I missed seeing someone getting tackled by security for 'misbehaving' on the golf course, unless Taylor's friend got hurt that actually sounds pretty hilarious.

The US Open is just around the corner, don't know what's currently going on with the whole LIV v. PGA Tour thing and don't particularly care at this time. I'm sure the boys will get things ironed out eventually...

Here are the pairings and start times for round 1 on Thursday, I'll be keeping an eye on my main man Spieth, Nick Taylor (who just won the Canadian Open), and I like Rahm to win it all. We shall see.

I didn't catch much of the Canadian Open over the weekend, but I did at least take a peek at Nick Taylor's scorecard at one point, he made an impressive number of birdies. Being you mentioned his equipment I had to check what he uses (cause just like you need specific bike equipment to ride like a pro you need very specific golf equipment to play like a pro :tearsofjoy: ), I'm not sure his putter is even a putter. What will these kids come up with next...

PS -Sorry I missed seeing someone getting tackled by security for 'misbehaving' on the golf course, unless Taylor's friend got hurt that actually sounds pretty hilarious.
At the end of the video he and the security guard seem to be enjoying a laugh.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Devastating news!

My main man Jordan Spieth is not doing so well, currently he's +2 as is Canadian Open winner Nick Taylor. Justin Rose is +6 but hasn't teed off yet for the second round, those boys need to find their game real quick or they can pack up their golf clubs and go home early!

As per usual in big pro golf tournaments some big names went home early after yesterday's round (Spieth :(, Mickelson, Rose, etc.), and I expected Rahm to do better. But Rickie Fowler is on fire right now and Rory McIlroy might be able to sneak his way into the lead position - stay tuned, it's going to be an exciting weekend!

PS - Normally, although I should, I don't really pay much attention to round 2, but I did yesterday. It was pretty intense seeing all those guys trying to grind their way into making the cut, don't think I should be skipping round 2 from now on.

PPS - Don't know how I missed this, but apparently some weirdo wearing a fake mustache and sombrero hat was heckling Mickelson the other day. I think this person has an unhealthy attachment to PGA Tour golf.

Phil Mickelson heckler disturbs U.S. Open peace with bizarre, lengthy rant

Last edited:
A thrilling last round at the US Open which has just concluded, congrats to Wyndham Clark on winning his first major! The man must have nerves of steel, Rory McIlroy was nipping at his heels the whole time. Alas for Rory he came a shot short.

So that's that for now, see you at the Open next month!

Some players finished the second round already while others are still on the course... I better read up on Brian Harman because he has a huge lead right now.

Also, unless my main man Spieth (currently through the 10th hole) royally screws up he should make the cut comfortably.

The 2nd round is finished and the cutoff was +4, some of the big names going home today: Rose, Schwartzel, Morikawa, Mickelson, Els...

If he can hold steady the rest have a lot of catching up to do to Harman who is -10, (Fleetwood, who is currently second, is at -5), it should be an exciting weekend of golf!

Now let's see who is going to make the Ryder Cup teams.
Will you be watching the Ryder Cup? I usually skip it because I find the US vs. the World format rather silly... can the US finally win on foreign soil this year? Blah, blah, blah...

Both teams look pretty solid though and I like many of the players regardless of nationality, so, here are the start lists and other info.

Will you be watching the Ryder Cup? I usually skip it because I find the US vs. the World format rather silly... can the US finally win on foreign soil this year? Blah, blah, blah...

Both teams look pretty solid though and I like many of the players regardless of nationality, so, here are the start lists and other info.

It will be an interesting match.

US are favourites on paper, but trust I want Europe to win immensely.

Hopefully the course will give the Europeans an advantage with how it is set up for the week.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
It will be an interesting match.

US are favourites on paper, but trust I want Europe to win immensely.

Hopefully the course will give the Europeans an advantage with how it is set up for the week.
Regardless of the team format do you have favorite players? As individual players I like Rahm, Rory, Rose, Spieth, Fowler, and Morikawa, and I guess seeing as I only watch the majors I've never seen a golf tournament in Italy. So now I'll have to watch and see how they do things in Rome. :)

Unfortunately I didn't catch any of the Ryder Cup and apparently some drama this weekend, but congrats to the European team! (Love me some Rahm, Rory, and Rose.)

I'm still reading up on how things went though, the author of this article seems rather, well, I don't know whether it's sour grapes or if there is truth to his Ryder Cup critique. In this article he seems to think the Ryder Cup, in its current format, is broken. (I don't really care either way because as mentioned earlier I think the whole Ryder Cup USA v. Europe format is antiquated and silly.)

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ryder-cup-2023-broken-no-easy-fix-requiem

And here's another one by same author briefly analyzing how Europe won. (No worries though, I'm sure in a couple of years the Americans will win the Cup back on home soil.)

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ry...t-for-a-blowout-how-europe-won-7-simple-steps

Always happen after every Ryder Cup that people think it needs to be fixed. The US always have to find a reason why the lost besides playing not as well as the Europeans.

It was a great event and quite tense on the last day. Some of the matches could have easily gone the other way.

Because I know everyone is just itching to watch some golf at this time of year here comes the first major - the race for the legendary fugly green jacket starts tomorrow, it's the Masters!

As usual my main man is Spieth, but all the top names will be there. Here's the start list and the tee times for round 1, but there also seems to be some kind of a weather alert.

Btw., I really enjoy when the amateurs do well in the majors, so good luck to them as well!

Last edited: