• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
* **** Josh Tarling
**** Mathieu Kockelmann, Jens Verbrugghe
*** Emil Herzog, Jan Christen, Jorgen Nordhagen
** Duarte Marivoet, Alex Gustin, Nicolas Milesi, Thibaud Gruel
* Antonio Morgado, Hamish McKenzie, Lewis Bower, Sjors Lugthart, Pavel Novak

Out of all contestants in all disciplines in all age categories, Tarling is the gold medal I am most certain of. He is the top favorite by a mile. Due to never seeing time trials of this length, I took Anadia as the most plausible reference and thus gave Verbrugghe 4 stars. Tried to apply some logic, but in some cases it's just impossible. Guys like Bower, McKenzie and Gustin have little to no experience against the big boys. Morgado on the other hand can't time trial for ***, but is so uber talented he might just have a stroke of genius.

Never have I ever been this indifferent about the Worlds. I got to see 30 min on Sunday, and will probably only watch the last 4 hours or so on next Sunday. Everything thats inbetween, at that time of the day.. that aint happening (well its impossible, cause work, and Im not waking up hours earlier to watch the women or the U-riders), which is a shame.

* **** Josh Tarling

Out of all contestants in all disciplines in all age categories, Tarling is the gold medal I am most certain of. He is the top favorite by a mile. Due to never seeing time trials of this length, I took Anadia as the most plausible reference and thus gave Verbrugghe 4 stars. Tried to apply some logic, but in some cases it's just impossible. Guys like Bower, McKenzie and Gustin have little to no experience against the big boys. Morgado on the other hand can't time trial for ***, but is so uber talented he might just have a stroke of genius.

Tarling can win this with one leg and will already be close to winning the u23 one next year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Tarling can win this with one leg and will already be close to winning the u23 one next year.
Indeed. One thing that has surprised me though is how not dominant, perhaps bad even Tarling has been on the track, which normally is the forte of Brittons. In the road race Great Britain will be all in for Jed Smithson. Interesting kid, because 1). he's a swimmer, 2). he looks like he's the twin brother of Marcel Kittel and 3). his eyesight is not bad, it's godawful. He will be recognisable from the get go due to the jam pots he has to ride around with in order to properly see.

Last edited:
So did Adam Holm. He had his worst day on the bike ever. The youngsters could be suffering from jetlag.
Yeah that could be.
Looking at his Strava file Milesi still pushed 411W during this one and he isn't the biggest guy out there, just look that this picture from 2020 of him on the EC ITT podium with Vacek and Brenner (and he has slimmed down since then):
EgLblzWWoAACg1h

Him having a decent power output makes m think that maybe his cornering was really the problem.

* **** Josh Tarling

I'm assuming Zoe Backstedt must be one of the favourites in the women's event, a year after finishing second in Leuven. But I know more or less nothing about the other riders. The only one I recognise is Eglantine Rayer, and that's mainly because of her brilliant first name,

I'm assuming Zoe Backstedt must be one of the favourites in the women's event, a year after finishing second in Leuven. But I know more or less nothing about the other riders. The only one I recognise is Eglantine Rayer, and that's mainly because of her brilliant first name,
Yeah, I meant the male races. I should have worded that better. My knowledge of women's cycling is 0.

Reactions: postmanhat

TRENDING THREADS