• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wow MvDP situation getting interesting. One thing to consider: Belgium booked out an entire hotel completely to themselves in Austinmer, one of the suburbs/villages just north of the main town. The Dutch just booked rooms in one of the main hotels in the town centre.

Will be interesting to see if this becomes a factor.
Did they sleep in the same hotel as the women? Because I understood that Van Vleuten and Van Dijk weren't impressed with the hotel, and rented a house for the two of them.

So the story is that there were 2 teens (not 4), both girls, ages 13 and 14, who Van der Poel got into an altercation with after a bunch of kids (unclear whether there were others than these 2) had been knocking his door and causing a ruckus on his floor. He claims he did not touch them (says Roothoofd) and he called the cops on the kids (their parents weren't there), but from what i understand the kids claim he pushed them, one fell and the other bumped into the wall, hurting her elbow. His passport has been revoked until some time October (forgot the exact date) and he is due in court on Tuesday.

If he's telling the truth i hope those parents have a good insurance and he sues their pants off. A pro rider has only a limited number of shots at a WCC title.

One would expect they have video cams in the hallways so hope that will establish the kids harassing him.
Probably. But I assume that's already checked and hence I assume he might actually have touched them.

And if it was teenage gals it's a helluva other problematic situation, especially if they did chase him to begin with.

Fan culture be crazy in other sectors so I am so not surprise it's him. He's probably a teen girl magnet.

Reactions: Sciatic
So the story is that there were 2 teens (not 4), both girls, ages 13 and 14, who Van der Poel got into an altercation with after a bunch of kids (unclear whether there were others than these 2) had been knocking his door and causing a ruckus on his floor. He claims he did not touch them (says Roothoofd) and he called the cops on the kids (their parents weren't there), but from what i understand the kids claim he pushed them, one fell and the other bumped into the wall, hurting her elbow. His passport has been revoked until some time October (forgot the exact date) and he is due in court on Tuesday.

If he's telling the truth i hope those parents have a good insurance and he sues their pants off. A pro rider has only a limited number of shots at a WCC title.
Either way he's going to get to enjoy the delights of the australian tabloid press. I'm not sure if he'll get "Innocent girls terrorised by arrogant big shot cyclist" or "Cycling star's world championship dream ruined by out of control teens".

Probably. But I assume that's already checked and hence I assume he might actually have touched them.

So what if he touched them? I mean, I don't think that someone would be taken to the police station for hours here for that. Let them all make statements, get to bed, deal with it later. Did he break someone's arm or are Australian police so rigid?

Reactions: noob
Either way he's going to get to enjoy the delights of the australian tabloid press. I'm not sure if he'll get "Innocent girls terrorised by arrogant big shot cyclist" or "Cycling star's world championship dream ruined by out of control teens".
I have no idea how bad the Australian tabloids are, if they are worse than in every other country, or as bad as those in the UK.

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
So what if he touched them? I mean, I don't think that someone would be taken to the police station for hours here for that. Let them all make statements, get to bed, deal with it later. Did he break someone's arm or are Australian police so rigid?
if he touched a minor then he’s in big trouble in most countries, police will not care that he’s riding the worlds

Reactions: Volderke and noob

TRENDING THREADS