• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yates really doesn't feel like an Ineos rider with the exception of being British. He isn't really good enough to be an out and out leader for them, but he is probably too good to just be a dom. I also wonder if a rider like him would actually be willing to completely put aside personal ambition.
Add to that that punchy small climbers like him probably also aren't the most naturally suited to ride in a train.

But yeah, I guess he is british, Froome is gone, Thomas isn't getting any younger and Skineos has always been very much about Brits. So I guess it kinda makes sense.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yates really doesn't feel like an Ineos rider with the exception of being British. He isn't really good enough to be an out and out leader for them, but he is probably too good to just be a dom. I also wonder if a rider like him would actually be willing to completely put aside personal ambition.
Add to that that punchy small climbers like him probably also aren't the most naturally suited to ride in a train.

But yeah, I guess he is british, Froome is gone, Thomas isn't getting any younger and Skineos has always been very much about Brits. So I guess it kinda makes sense.
He really benefited from the Skytrain in the 2016 Tour, so conservative/controled train riding before trying to pull a Purito at the end of the stage is probably the bedt thing for him when it comes to the high mountains.

He really benefited from the Skytrain in the 2016 Tour, so conservative/controled train riding before trying to pull a Purito at the end of the stage is probably the bedt thing for him when it comes to the high mountains.
True, but there's a big difference between benefiting from a train and being good in a train. Purito got 2nd in the 2015 Vuelta when he already wasn't at his best anymore because on the mtf's the racing was usually neutralized until the final kilometer where he was still the best in the world. But that doesn't mean Purito ever would have been elite at neutralizing a climb until the final kilometer.
Yates could greatly benefit from riding for sky if they lead him out on mountain top finishes, but I just doubt Sky signed him to do that. The likes of Sivakov are way too good to dom for someone like Yates.

Adam doesn't wish to ride for GC at GT's any longer which limits his options - In saying that, think teams like Sunweb, NTT or even AGR2R would have shown interest.
Exactly, Yates from now on will probably mostly want to go stage hunting at gt's or try to win minor stage races. Ineos does not seem like the team that encourages riders with those goals.

Reactions: yaco
True, but there's a big difference between benefiting from a train and being good in a train. Purito got 2nd in the 2015 Vuelta when he already wasn't at his best anymore because on the mtf's the racing was usually neutralized until the final kilometer where he was still the best in the world. But that doesn't mean Purito ever would have been elite at neutralizing a climb until the final kilometer.
Yates could greatly benefit from riding for sky if they lead him out on mountain top finishes, but I just doubt Sky signed him to do that. The likes of Sivakov are way too good to dom for someone like Yates.

Exactly, Yates from now on will probably mostly want to go stage hunting at gt's or try to win minor stage races. Ineos does not seem like the team that encourages riders with those goals.
With Bernal being the main guy we could see a different train, more stop and go with multiple accelerations to wear down the better TTers, a lot more like the Postal train back in the day.

It is hard to imagine Yates as a super-dom in the Porte or Poels mode. And since his fourth at The TDF a few years back, too many excellent riders have come through for him to competitive at GTs.

So perhaps Ineos have signed him to focus on stage races, and have a proper crack at The Ardennes

Bora must like the look of Walls, as he's likely to be focused on The Olympics omnium next year. I assumed it was the reason he didn't sign for anyone last year
His priority at the moment is road with the Olympics also an aim, which is evident from leaving the BC U23 Academy and moving to Trinity Racing. Also interesting that two of recent British riders moving to WT Teams (Walls and Quarterman last year) have come from club teams (Trinity and Zappi). Although saying that, Trinity has its foundations in the Wiggins conti team and were aiming on riding an u23 race and Europe tour heavy calendar without the UCI team fees. Quarterman also rode for Leopard Cycling previously.

Reactions: postmanhat