• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 237 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It can't be the money, nobody richer than Ineos.
It doesn't work that way. Ineos has a bigger budget but they also have more high earning riders that take away they budget. They can't outbid every other team for every rider.
It can't be the opportunities, he gets every opportunity he wants at Ineos.
LOL, people forget that he didn't even get to ride Giro or TdF last year, such every opportunity he gets. Ineos is a very high competition environment. Have a weaker half a year and you might find yourself outside a GT selection, let alone leadership. And it's not hypothetical, it's literally what happened to Geogheghan Hart last year.

It doesn't work that way. Ineos has a bigger budget but they also have more high earning riders that take away they budget. They can't outbid every other team for every rider.

LOL, people forget that he didn't even get to ride Giro or TdF last year, such every opportunity he gets. Ineos is a very high competition environment. Have a weaker half a year and you might find yourself outside a GT selection, let alone leadership. And it's not hypothetical, it's literally what happened to Geogheghan Hart last year.
Of course you have to have the level to make the selection for the biggest races, that's obvious. But if you don't have that level you're not going to be very competitive in those races anyway. I think it's pretty clear that this year he made a massive step up from the previous two years, so I would guess that makes his position in the team quite strong.

Right now Geoghegan Hart is probably Ineos' best bet to win a GT in the coming years (apart from Thomas, I don't see any other candidates... unless Bernal returns to form). And he's British. Pretty much a dream rider for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
This ongoing Quintana transfer bollocks has been a real highlight of the season, I love the random Spanish language articles that sound like they were probably written by Quintana himself, maybe it's just the translation but it makes him sound like a Muhammad Ali returning from his exile. This is from today.

Nairo Quintana would return to the ring for the Vuelta a España 2023. This is what is known about his possible return​

Apparently, a team would have shown interest in adding the Colombian to their ranks. He would have a special role, we told him.
With the Giro d'Italia already completed and the Tour de France about to start, the third and last Grand Tour of the year is Nairo Quintana's only hope of contesting a top-level race. Until now, the future of the cyclist born in Cómbita, Boyacá, is uncertain, however, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel that would lead him to lead a team in the Vuelta a España.

Currently, Quintana remains outside the World Tour competitions due to the veto that was given to him in 2022, after he was sanctioned from that year's Tour de France for the alleged intake of Tramadol, a substance that is not allowed in pedal sports. .

Since then, the world has fallen apart for the Colombian, because in addition to being disqualified from the ' grande boucle ', which was his team, Arkéa Samsic decided to end his employment relationship.

Despite the fact that several teams expressed their interest in having an experienced climber like Quintana, no transaction materialized, so the future of the 33-year-old rider is uncertain. However, in the last hours, a rumor arose among the national press that it would indicate that his losing streak was about to end.

Apparently, the name of Nairo Quintana sounds to be part of the starting squad of the Vuelta a España 2023. This was announced during the Vuelta a Colombia 2023 on Win Sports, noting that "there is a team that has not scored points this year, and he urgently needs to win a stage, to be the protagonist in a grand tour”, so the Colombian would be chosen.

Although the name of the team that would be behind the rider is unknown, the commentators of the previously mentioned channel revealed that " they are betting all the coins so that Nairo will run the Tour of Spain and give points to that team ."

Thus, Quintana would return to the ring on August 26 when the first week of the third and last Grand Tour of the year begins.
It should be noted that the Colombian has had memorable performances in Spanish territory, as he climbed to the top of the podium in 2016. He has two fourth places in 2015 and 2019 and an eighth place that corresponds to his performance in 2018.

Strange one with Tulett. Ineos has a lot of british talent but Tulett seemed to me like one of the keepers. So not many teams can afford this level of talent I would guess.

UAE out- doesn't makes sense for the rider or the team with Pog and Ayuso eating up a lot of the leadership chances and they still have Yates, Almeida, Hirschi, Soler and Vine for secondary races.

Jumbo - moneywise could be a move forward but if they also take in Jorgensen, where does Tulett come in? They had a bad Ardennes week so that would work for Tulett but how often will it happen that Vingegaard, Roglic and van Aert skip it. I can see Tulett going to Jumbo but I don't think that would be the best for him if he wants to develop in a leadership role and race Grand Tours.

Lidl-Trek - I mean everone is basically rumoured to go there, so why not. With Skjelmose, Ciccone and Nhys they also have already quite a lot of emerging leaders for the stuff Tulett should be interersted in but not quite the depth like Jumbo.

Bahrain - good results in the Ardennes this year, but with quite a few important guys out of contract it would be for tulett maybe the best landing spot if he wants to have a lot of leadership chances and good money.

Alpecin - a move back wouldn't be stupid imo. they don't have the roster to compete in just so many races since they lost Tulett, Vine and Vervaeke. Don't know how it's with the budget there with the heavy hitter mvdP, Philipsen and SKA on the books.

Bora - maybe the last team that could offer big bugs as Soudal-QS (alaphilippe, Asgreen, Remco, merlier) and Movistar (probably taking in Rodriguez next to Mas and Aranburu) shouldn't have free money. If the rumours are true that Politt and Konrad are leaving they would have a lot of money to play with (also Bennett, Mullen, Archbold leaving opens a lot of spots on the team). They had to turn to Konrad to give them some results in hilly one days, but they still have a lot of guys on the roster that could target those races but didn't/couldn't this years or were on bad form (Higuita, Vlasov, Schachmann)

If he leaves Ineos I hope he goes to Bahrain or Bora. He will be an interesting one to watch.

Strange one with Tulett. Ineos has a lot of british talent but Tulett seemed to me like one of the keepers. So not many teams can afford this level of talent I would guess.

UAE out- doesn't makes sense for the rider or the team with Pog and Ayuso eating up a lot of the leadership chances and they still have Yates, Almeida, Hirschi, Soler and Vine for secondary races.

Jumbo - moneywise could be a move forward but if they also take in Jorgensen, where does Tulett come in? They had a bad Ardennes week so that would work for Tulett but how often will it happen that Vingegaard, Roglic and van Aert skip it. I can see Tulett going to Jumbo but I don't think that would be the best for him if he wants to develop in a leadership role and race Grand Tours.

Lidl-Trek - I mean everone is basically rumoured to go there, so why not. With Skjelmose, Ciccone and Nhys they also have already quite a lot of emerging leaders for the stuff Tulett should be interersted in but not quite the depth like Jumbo.

Bahrain - good results in the Ardennes this year, but with quite a few important guys out of contract it would be for tulett maybe the best landing spot if he wants to have a lot of leadership chances and good money.

Alpecin - a move back wouldn't be stupid imo. they don't have the roster to compete in just so many races since they lost Tulett, Vine and Vervaeke. Don't know how it's with the budget there with the heavy hitter mvdP, Philipsen and SKA on the books.

Bora - maybe the last team that could offer big bugs as Soudal-QS (alaphilippe, Asgreen, Remco, merlier) and Movistar (probably taking in Rodriguez next to Mas and Aranburu) shouldn't have free money. If the rumours are true that Politt and Konrad are leaving they would have a lot of money to play with (also Bennett, Mullen, Archbold leaving opens a lot of spots on the team). They had to turn to Konrad to give them some results in hilly one days, but they still have a lot of guys on the roster that could target those races but didn't/couldn't this years or were on bad form (Higuita, Vlasov, Schachmann)

If he leaves Ineos I hope he goes to Bahrain or Bora. He will be an interesting one to watch.

Goes to Bora

It is well and truly difficult to see the INEOS plan, if Tao and Tulett are left to leave. I understand not investing to keep Martinez, who seems to have topped out at inconsistent mid-table GC rider, but if Tao, Tulett, Rodriguez aren't retained, INEOS's GC ambitions will be Bernal or bust. (Perhaps I under-rate G in the near term, but Piddock seems determined to stick to MB, XC and one day races.)

It is well and truly difficult to see the INEOS plan, if Tao and Tulett are left to leave. I understand not investing to keep Martinez, who seems to have topped out at inconsistent mid-table GC rider, but if Tao, Tulett, Rodriguez aren't retained, INEOS's GC ambitions will be Bernal or bust. (Perhaps I under-rate G in the near term, but Piddock seems determined to stick to MB, XC and one day races.)
Rodriguez been rumored away for some time now. It is probably a done deal with Movistar.

Tulett is still young and could develop further but maybe the ceiling is not too high. Who knows, but maybe that is how they feel too.

Martinez. Probably just run its course.

Tao has been with the team for a long time and has been a great servant. That one is the most surprising to me and shame with his injury.

For GC? They still have G but also Arensman. He was impressive towards the end of the Giro. They probably have some faith in him for the future. Bernal is still uncertain but the ceiling could still be high.

They have the likes of Pidcock, Sheffield, Hayter and Turner. Very good riders. Seems to me that there is still a strong core of the team.

I think there is a plan and that they probably have things lined up that will be announced during the Tour or shortly afterwards.

Reactions: xo 1
What's his schedule towards the Vuelta? Thought he was going to ride Sibiu but looks like he disappeared from the start list?

Would've been his first pro win, but on the other hand he will already have 37 racedays after Suisse. With Vuelta and a prep race (Poland maybe?) it will be more than enough.

Goes to Bora
You communicate a lot of insider knowledge regarding Bora. For transfers and line-ups. So we can assume that you hacked into their slack or what is going on?

Reactions: RedheadDane