• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Baarle to Jumbo was ordained the moment he broke out of the lead group at PR. I think it's a perfect move. He's a great classics rider on a team that has to perform in the classics. And maybe he's tired of towing Bernal around France every July.

Seriously, he's had a breakout season and deserves to be paid like an A List rider.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I find the Carapaz news, if true, to be very interesting. I assume he wants to be the undisputed TdF leader somewhere, and at Ineos he could be battling Bernal for that honor next year. But we don't know what level Bernal will be able to return to...so maybe this is a bluff to get more money out of Ineos?

At this point Carapaz is Ineos's best GT rider, with no clear successor. And as much as I like Bernal, I don't know that he's clearly better than Carapaz. It could also be a compatibility issue, too. Some riders and teams just don't gel.

CN transfer story points of interest (some have already been said here):
  • "Cyclingnews understands that Ineos Grenadiers have already struck a deal with 22-year-old Dutch talent Thymen Arensman, who will transfer from Team DSM for 2023."
  • "Carapaz is open to offers and is in talks with Movistar and three other teams
  • van Baarle "has agreed a three-year contract for close to two million Euros a season with Jumbo-Visma."
  • Yates linked with BikeExchange
  • "Dunbar was not selected for the Giro d’Italia despite his climbing skills and overall victory at the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali. He has been linked to BikeExchange-Jayco and Jumbo-Visma."
  • "Martinez has been linked to a move to Movistar alongside Carapaz as the Spanish team look to replace Alejandro Valverde."
  • "Richie Porte will retire at the end of the 2022 season and the Giro d’Italia is his final Grand Tour"

Carapaz and Martinez to Movistar would be great for the team. They really need to have more options than Mas if Valverde is retired.

It looks like Merlier is heading to QS. I guess pretty much everyone saw this coming.

I would assume this is the nail on the coffin for Cav at QS.

Not sure how much room there was at Alpecin for both him and Philipsen. That said, I assume this deal was worked out before Alpecin's move to WT and Deceuninck sponsorship -- I'm not sure I would have left an up and coming team to go ride for Lefevere, who all of a sudden isn't looking quite so invinceable.

Not that harsh IMO. Off the top of my head he won a week-long WT stage race (but if he hadn't been there Porte and Thomas would still have been 1st and 2nd!) and got 4th at the Vuelta (but if he hadn't been there, Bernal would still have been 5th!).

Still a bit harsh from my perspective. Even if he did not win that much, he was by far Ineos' best and most consistent rider in week-long stage races last year, with Bernal and Carapaz mainly focusing on GTs. He won Catalunya, was 2nd in UAE, 4th in Itzulia, 4th in the Vuelta and 3rd in Lombardia. That brought them a whole lot of UCI points.

Anyways, I also think that he did not achieve as much as Ineos had hoped for.

Nicola Conci to Alpecin-Fenix dev team as per direct

I would assume this is the nail on the coffin for Cav at QS.

Not sure how much room there was at Alpecin for both him and Philipsen. That said, I assume this deal was worked out before Alpecin's move to WT and Deceuninck sponsorship -- I'm not sure I would have left an up and coming team to go ride for Lefevere, who all of a sudden isn't looking quite so invinceable.

It will be interesting to see how QS handle having Jakobsen and Merlier. There isn’t an obvious hierarchy there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
CN transfer story points of interest (some have already been said here):
  • "Cyclingnews understands that Ineos Grenadiers have already struck a deal with 22-year-old Dutch talent Thymen Arensman, who will transfer from Team DSM for 2023."
  • "Carapaz is open to offers and is in talks with Movistar and three other teams
  • van Baarle "has agreed a three-year contract for close to two million Euros a season with Jumbo-Visma."
  • Yates linked with BikeExchange
  • "Dunbar was not selected for the Giro d’Italia despite his climbing skills and overall victory at the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali. He has been linked to BikeExchange-Jayco and Jumbo-Visma."
  • "Martinez has been linked to a move to Movistar alongside Carapaz as the Spanish team look to replace Alejandro Valverde."
  • "Richie Porte will retire at the end of the 2022 season and the Giro d’Italia is his final Grand Tour"
So Ineos could lose Carapaz, Martinez and Van Baarle while Bernal's return to the old form is uncertain.

Quite a reshuffle and they need to be smart about new contracts if they want to retain their current strength.

Reactions: TMP402
Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
3 serious contenders to sign Carapaz.
Inoes, Movistar and EF. he will make his choice after the Giro.
The Ecuadorian would thus be the replacement for Uran to play the GCs, the latter could retire at the end of the year
I also saw that EF could recruit Narvaez and Kangert. However, I don't have any information on my side.

TRENDING THREADS