• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Great Grand-Tour-Game 2011

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Though I'm not the most active poster here, I would like to join this, sounds very interesting :) Are there any places left?

If so, I'll send my predictions when a full line-up for the Giro is announced.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yep Greenflame. But don´t post the picks later than 48 hours before the Giro starts (see Rules Post # 1).

Up to now everybody who´s posted and want to join is registered.

15 spots left...

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a note:
Kollege FoxBrown, don't be beleidigt when I put something up in next days, too.
That was my plan anyway for the 3 GTs. So, don't feek annoyed.

But like Jens Voigt said, "more is better" :)

Will be similar to what I introduced at that other prediction game thread, including joker and everything.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I won´t. It just will have a sour (copy-)note on your side, since the original is always better. :D

We'll see. :D

(short)name of the game will be a big laugh and game will be completely different from yours.
But no more Schleichwerbung now. Have fun, and I won't say anything about your game.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
1 idea i would put forward is double points for that 1 big mountain top finish in every gt.

Zoncolan in Il Giro.
Alpe d huez in Le Tour.
Angiliru in La Vuelta

And for the final stage sprint and the long ITT.

And how about a double up bonus for the Mountain Classification winner :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I think the idea is good, but as far as i remember the big guys always rule the biggest stages. So everybody would pick Contador to go for that extra point, instead of looking for the "secret" pick from a wild card team.

And i think it would be unfair to all those who picked the Hutarovich´es in the flat stages without gaining those would-be extra points ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Top-20 is where the fun starts, because everybody will pick the obvious ones at the top of rankings. But to choose between the Vorganovs and Gerdemanns on Place 15-20 will be tough. This spots will separate the experts (at least i think so). It will be hard earned 50 USD for the Winner :)

I think it´ll be great fun when somebody is rooting for Jan Bakelandts to gain one spot on the final mountain stage. And then the shivering starts if he will hold the spot on the final ITT. It will be roller coaster rides throughout.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
And i think it would be unfair to all those who picked the Hutarovich´es in the flat stages without gaining those would-be extra points ;)

No ones going to get any points by predicting Hutarovic for a stage win;) they just lose the points they would otherwise have got for picking Cav:p

But I guess the argument is that those big mtfs the big stages. 1 million on the Zoncolan. 1 million on Alpe d huez. Even Angiliru brings out the Johnny Walker fanclub in bigger numbers than usual. While the rest of the Vuelta is shown on Teledeporte cable, Angiliru gets the main channel.

Those arent worth the same as the stage 2 breakaway are they?

And imagine someone wins with a underdog, then they get quadruple points - big reward.

But I would suggest that if you want people to pick underdogs, there are better ways of doing it then giving it to none PT victors.

I mean for example Danilo Wyss would be one hell of a guess for a stage win, but under this system since he would get 1 point, whereas someone predicting Menchov gets 2.

IMO it would be better to beforehand create a list be it of people you dub to be favourites, or simply the top 2 riders from every team, and say that they are all worth 1 point per stage, and everyone else is worth 2.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I mean for example Danilo Wyss would be one hell of a guess for a stage win, but under this system since he would get 1 point, whereas someone predicting Menchov gets 2.

IMO it would be better to beforehand create a list be it of people you dub to be favourites, or simply the top 2 riders from every team, and say that they are all worth 1 point per stage, and everyone else is worth 2.

You are absolutley right here. Just bad that Moviestar isn´t a PT-Team (Thank you Mr. McQuaid ;)). So now i have to rethink that.
The problem is who decides the list of those favourites? If you have an idea, i would change it to your way. The problem for example is if ag2r starts this riders:
Gadret
Nocentini
Peraud
Dupont
Roche.
All great climbers. Roche is the obvious No. 1, but whom you pick as No. 2?
Any ideas are welcome.

BTW, i might go for Hutarovich since i can pick Cav only 3 times per GT :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You are absolutley right here. Just bad that Moviestar isn´t a PT-Team (Thank you Mr. McQuaid ;)). So now i have to rethink that.
The problem is who decides the list of those favourites? If you have an idea, i would change it to your way. The problem for example is if ag2r starts this riders:
Gadret
Nocentini
Peraud
Dupont
Roche.
Any ideas are welcome.

1 You decide because its your game.
2 Movistar is a PT team.
3 I dont think Roche is the number 1 climber in AGR. I would put Gadret above Roche, especially on the Giro course.
4 It might be better for you to just create a list of sprinters, climbers and rolleaurs who qualify as Great. You can create a random list and ask the forum to help out, decide who should or should not be there, if you want, or just create the list and have it set in stone.

Or since there are 23 teams and 2 teams per rider, if its easier than creating a list, take the top 46 riders in the cq rankings who are riding the Giro. The one problem with that is I think Danilo Di Luca wouldnt make the cut but you can just add him and otherwise it would be a very fair way of deciding.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Gadret
Nocentini
Peraud
Dupont
Roche.
Any ideas are welcome.

BTW, i might go for Hutarovich since i can pick Cav only 3 times per GT :)

Yes they are :p It's Geox that isn't PT

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
1 You decide because its your game.
2 Movistar is a PT team.
3 I dont think Roche is the number 1 climber in AGR. I would put Gadret above Roche, especially on the Giro course.
4 It might be better for you to just create a list of sprinters, climbers and rolleaurs who qualify as Great. You can create a random list and ask the forum to help out, decide who should or should not be there, if you want, or just create the list and have it set in stone.

Or since there are 23 teams and 2 teams per rider, if its easier than creating a list, take the top 46 riders in the cq rankings who are riding the Giro. The one problem with that is I think Danilo Di Luca wouldnt make the cut but you can just add him and otherwise it would be a very fair way of deciding.

I don´t know why i always confuse Movistar with Geox. :rolleyes:

How about this: I stay with the PT-Rules and just add (to be decided) riders from the WC-Teams who qualify for only 1 point. For example: Androni Giocatelli; Sella, Ferrari and Rujano might be only "1-Point"-Riders....

That way it would be easier, than to pick 2 riders per team. Time will be a factor here, since i assume most picks will flow in late and the rosters will also be announced late.

About favourite/underdog picking:
Lets say for example Contador has a 30% chance of winning a mountain stage. The chance for Garzelli might be 10%. So those who pick Contador get on average chance 0,3 points. Those who pick Garzelli get 0,2 points... Now if 9 of 10 pick Contador, the underdog picking looks better. But then again... All big assumptions, no exact science here. That´s the fun part here. But i think there shouldn´t be more advantages for top riders (= famous big stages like Alpe).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I have just looked deep into the WC-Rosters of Acqua-Sapone (my favourite name nowadays since Serramenti PVC is gone), Androni, Colnago, Farnese and Geox.
As real big favourites i just came up with the following list:
Sella (Androni), Menchov and Sastre (Geox). Should i really put those 3 riders as "1-Point"-Riders? OTOH it would be funny to see someone´s picks with a list of mostly this 3 Names...
Now it´s no secret anymore, so any advantage is gone, right?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I have just looked deep into the WC-Rosters of Acqua-Sapone (my favourite name nowadays since Serramenti PVC is gone), Androni, Colnago, Farnese and Geox.
As real big favourites i just came up with the following list:
Sella (Androni)

Dude. You sure are lucky Gerrit Jan (Ryo Hazuki) doesnt read game threads. He would go mental to see someone suggest Jose Rujano isnt a Giro contender (also on Androni, and one of the favourites for the overall).

And Acqua- Sapone is also my favourite name.

TRENDING THREADS