• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The holistic powers of Tenerife

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
He might mean he didn't need a coach the same way Landis said he had things already figured out when he moved to Phonak and didn't need Ferrari anymore.

Still, "a known doper trains there, therefore he trains there to dope, therefore everyone who trains there does so to dope"... Not very solid logic, man.

Once a fanboy, always ...

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I was in Tenerife in April this year. I did the climb from Los Christianos up to Villa Flor. Great ride & gorgeous scenery. Weather was perfect. I can see why a group of guys would go there for training.
I am not a Doper by the way.

hrotha said:
Doping aside, Tenerife is still a perfect place for altitude training, and altitude training is a perfectly legitimate thing. This thread is the equivalent of saying "he's a pro, therefore he dopes".
How can you put doping aside??? If you are a clean rider why would you go to Tenerife to do altitude training. I wouldn't. It just does not look good on your resume.

How many clients does Ferrari have anyway? or Fuentes? Do they talk to each other in order to split the field?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Good to know.

Do you ride in the Pro-Tour?

If only!! Ha!!!!!!

No not at all friend. Just went for a weeks holidays from work & to catch some nice kilometers for myself. I do the Irish sportives thats about it.

As far as Ferrari goes, i thought he had been under surveillance for quite a while so surely going there to meet him this year would be very risky? People are still going though, ie presumably for the conditions, not to meet Mr Ferrari

Escarabajo said:
How can you put doping aside??? If you are a clean rider why would you go to Tenerife to do altitude training. I wouldn't. It just does not look good on your resume.
The reasons why Tenerife is a great place to do altitude training, doping aside, have already been mentioned. If you don't buy them there's not much else I can say. Apparently, just training in Spain is enough to blemish your resume around here.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
As far as Ferrari goes, i thought he had been under surveillance for quite a while so surely going there to meet him this year would be very risky? People are still going though.

I bet Ferarri has been under surveillance and probably for tax evasion.

Davide Rebellin has been handed a tax bill of 6million+ by the Italians for his alleged residency in Monaco being nothing but an address and he was really living in Italy.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rebellin-charged-with-tax-evasion

so i bet Ferarri is on their radar for the same, as his movements between Tenerife and Switzerland will have been noted.

This thread is beyond hilarious. So funny becuase its so misguided. OMG YOU WENT TO SOMEWHERE WHERE DOPING PRACTICES MAY HAVE TAKEN PLACE BEFORE. Please...doping takes place everywhere: the home, the doctors, back of the bus, the garden shed. For goodness sake...

Of relevance here is what someone from Radioshack said after the list was published.

http://www.cyclenation.co.za/news/international-news/item/5010-RadioShack-positive-about-leaked-list

"Muravyev is a good example. We don't know why he's on the list as 8, it could be either because he trains in Tenerife - all riders who train there are high on the list.

If that is correct then it could be due to altitude effects being greater than previously known, could be due to people who have met with Dr Ferrari having suspect blood values, could be that the UCI know that the place has untoward goings-on so anyone who goes there is automatically more suspicious than someone who doesnt. Could even be all three. Take your cynicism level and choose.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Or could it be the Spanish authorities don't test on the island? So if you are out of the testing pool for a 4 week block then the lack of tests makes you suspicious?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Then you must mean Vino, but your post doesn't make any friggin' sense anyway. If you could kindly point out what betrayed any fanboyism...

Betrayed by the failed attempt to misapply Aristotlian syllogism to claim that the implicit statement that pros going to Tenerife dope is "not sound". Fabianiesque in its commitment to spurious elision and suggestive of a failure to truly convert from fanboyism.

I would assume that it would be harder/more expensive to send someone to test on the Island than if someone were on the mainland, (I am guessing they don't have a testing team based there) and with resources being limited you are less likely to be tested when there than if you were training on the mainland.

Matty_Tucks said:
This thread is beyond hilarious. So funny becuase its so misguided. OMG YOU WENT TO SOMEWHERE WHERE DOPING PRACTICES MAY HAVE TAKEN PLACE BEFORE. Please...doping takes place everywhere: the home, the doctors, back of the bus, the garden shed. For goodness sake...
Your post doesn’t make any sense.

Of course doping takes place everywhere. What does that have to do with going to Tenerife to meet your doping doctor free of pressure? You pay, you get your training schedule without any traces, and you even get tested by your doping doctor. You get this luxury that you don't get back in the bus. Just saying.

laziali said:
Betrayed by the failed attempt to misapply Aristotlian syllogism to claim that the implicit statement that pros going to Tenerife dope is "not sound". Fabianiesque in its commitment to spurious elision and suggestive of a failure to truly convert from fanboyism.
What the hell are you on.
I didn't say "pros who go to Tenerife don't dope". I said "dopers going to Tenerife doesn't mean all those who go to Tenerife dope or go there to dope". As for the rest, it's pretty ridiculous to spray accusations of being a fanboy, a troll or whatever at the slightest chance. You could do a search for my posts pertaining to Armstrong or anyone else and see what you get.

hrotha said:
The reasons why Tenerife is a great place to do altitude training, doping aside, have already been mentioned. If you don't buy them there's not much else I can say. Apparently, just training in Spain is enough to blemish your resume around here.
Of course is suspicious. And it does not help him on his resume. But you know what, I don't make the rules of life, and that's the world we live in. We get evaluated on some things that could be irrelevant to our careers.

I am yet to see one engineer with an earring during interviews. Hec, I have not seen one in the work place environment at all. If I see a brilliant one with good grades come in to the interview I'll tell you if gets hired. I'll make sure that the other evaluators don't judge him based on that piece of metal on his ear. Unfair world.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
What the hell are you on.
I didn't say "pros who go to Tenerife don't dope". I said "dopers going to Tenerife doesn't mean all those who go to Tenerife dope or go there to dope". As for the rest, it's pretty ridiculous to spray accusations of being a fanboy, a troll or whatever at the slightest chance. You could do a search for my posts pertaining to Armstrong or anyone else and see what you get.

What, all 4000 of them? Unlikely. Your recent posts speak for themselves.