• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Hour Record attempt by Jens Voigt (18.09.2014)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will happen?

• Vino (he will beat Boardman's superman 56 km)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it's kind of annoying how some of the media pretend that Voigt did some amazing feat breaking a prestigious record, when it's really only due to the bike. Any pro who's decent at TT could beat Jensie's time easily I guess.......

Well, he raced out his guts for an hour at 42, that I have to respect. But I'd rather see Spartacus or Der Panzerwagen or sir Wiggins having a go at the old record, with a normal bike.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
I think it's kind of annoying how some of the media pretend that Voigt did some amazing feat breaking a prestigious record, when it's really only due to the bike. Any pro who's decent at TT could beat Jensie's time easily I guess.......

Well, he raced out his guts for an hour at 42, that I have to respect. But I'd rather see Spartacus or Der Panzerwagen or sir Wiggins having a go at the old record, with a normal bike.

Hopefully. But I think they will also use newer bikes. What the hell. If they do it in one or two years, there is still a possibility to compare.

Why isn't Rominger's record of 53.8km on this bike better than Voigt's?

Doesn't this bike comply with the current rules? The wheels are the same size, right? The frame isn't even aero.

Is it coz we're meant to be in a clean era now?

500x1000px-LL-a3557d58_528501468_o.jpeg

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Captain Serious said:

Doesn't this bike comply with the current rules? The wheels are the same size, right? The frame isn't even aero.

The wheels look different sizes to me

Maaaaaaaarten said:

Clap clap! :)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
I am perfectly aware of it, like I'm aware of the fact he was 4th at the Paris-Nice prologue and at the ITT World Championship that year. It's all I wanted to say.

How does the 1996 attempt on a pseudo-bike translate into a real bike?

Would anybody please stop talking about "Merckx bike", "Merckx rule", etc. It's degrading and a total lack of comprehension of what this record is all about.

If it wasn't for this rule, your friend Anquetil would never have broken any record. For the 36,546th time !!

As far as I'm aware, the bike Boardman rode was real, as opposed to a Unicorn, which is only pseudo-real.

Perhaps you should enlighten everyone as to what this record is really all about. It seems as though you've got a lot of pent up frustration about this, especially about what constitutes a "normal bike". At what point did bicycles cease to become normal? I'm truly interested in where you think normal stops.

For The World said:
As far as I'm aware, the bike Boardman rode was real, as opposed to a Unicorn, which is only pseudo-real.

Perhaps you should enlighten everyone as to what this record is really all about. It seems as though you've got a lot of pent up frustration about this, especially about what constitutes a "normal bike". At what point did bicycles cease to become normal? I'm truly interested in where you think normal stops.
Normal bike = The one they use in road races.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
It seem no one care that Cortis is not in the Cyclingnews.com Hour Record list (in the Voigt Story) but he is just one of the error in the list – Honestly what is the point of the Hour Record if the Records are not documented correctly. I can’t believe you have pages of discussion here and the original articles records are wrong.. Its just sloppy – eg Didn’t JT Johnson set the record in 1870 at Birmingham - What about Laurie in 1888 – also it seem some of the conversions from Miles to Kilometers are wrong. Wasn’t Jan Van Hout record attempt on the Roermond Velodrome which was measured short meaning so his 1933 attempt was never a record... Surely for a story of the Hour Record you have to get the results correct... You need to do some investigation on this Cyclingnews.com

Red Ace said:
It seem no one care that Cortis is not in the Cyclingnews.com Hour Record list (in the Voigt Story) but he is just one of the error in the list – Honestly what is the point of the Hour Record if the Records are not documented correctly. I can’t believe you have pages of discussion here and the original articles records are wrong.. Its just sloppy – eg Didn’t JT Johnson set the record in 1870 at Birmingham - What about Laurie in 1888 – also it seem some of the conversions from Miles to Kilometers are wrong. Wasn’t Jan Van Hout record attempt on the Roermond Velodrome which was measured short meaning so his 1933 attempt was never a record... Surely for a story of the Hour Record you have to get the results correct... You need to do some investigation on this Cyclingnews.com
If it's any consolation, I think they're all on here
http://bikecult.com/bikecultbook/sports_recordsHour.html

Perhaps you could edit the Wikipedia page :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
You forget SOSENKA!!!
Very interesting interview
http://sosenka.cz/dix-ans-et-une-heure/

You should be able to find an equivalent article in english.

Good article! As I said before, Sosenka would do 55 km with the same equipment/team support Jensie was using. On the other hand. Jens would maybe get 45km on Sosenka's bike.

People dont realize Sosenka had all that (20,000km) track training experience and his huge VO2 max of 90 ml / min / kg and a lung capacity of 8 liters. He is also 197cm tall therefore more physically suited to this.

As he said in the article, only Wigo has the track skills to beat his "old" record.

Captain Serious said:

As has been already pointed out, the wheels were
different sizes and also at Tony's 53.8Km ride the
public was excluded, if I remember correctly, which
is against the rules now and annoyed the UCI then.

EDIT: And of course Mr. Rominger is wearing shoe
covers which are not allowed indoors anymore.

For The World said:

I've done this 4578937682,849078409 times on the Internet.

The historical UCI defined it pretty well in 1914. A bike stops being a bike if you add a devise to it that cuts wind resistance. No aero bars, no disc on the wheels and no fairing can be permitted. Besides the wheels should have equal size.

All other new tech can be permitted. Okay in 1934, the UCI modified its regulations to ban recumbent but that's it.

Those who say we should get back to the bike of Desgrange and such miss the point completely. They are caricaturing.

Those who think that it's because the world revolves around Merckx, miss the point completely.

And I still have seen no argument to respond to my argument of the motor, except sarcasm. If you believe that riders should be allowed every kind of new tech possible, then surely they should be allowed to a electric engine. It was a very serious argument. :eek:

Just a joke. Though it's bad to joke on the day Pino passed away. Should be mourning. :(

However I'm still sincerely interested in how you convert the 56,375km by Boardman on his irregular bike into 51,100km on a regular bike.

I insist because you are well informed about wattage (from other threads).

From this article, it seems that Voigt's performance equals 46,415km on a regular bike. Slightly better than Baldini :D (but on an indoor track).

Echoes said:
From this article, it seems that Voigt's performance equals 46,415km on a regular bike. Slightly better than Baldini :D (but on an indoor track).

Except, the problem is the UCI wants to reinvent the hour now so all that history and stuff is irrelevant. I get your point, but you are trying to hold back the ocean tide.

As posted by someone else in this thread, Jens did a great job slipping through the wind.

DirtyWorks said:
Except, the problem is the UCI wants to reinvent the hour now so all that history and stuff is irrelevant. I get your point, but you are trying to hold back the ocean tide.

As posted by someone else in this thread, Jens did a great job slipping through the wind.

we should regard each record as something special in its own, imo

i think you will rarely find one record fair enough to compare with another even those on old bikes. you have vigorelli velodrome, you have mexico at altitude, but then you have mexico at altitude on a run(merckx) or guys who stayed there longer. merckxs bike was 5.5 kilos, not allowed today and definitely not a normal bike by any account and you have coppi in time of war on a way worse bike. you have boardman in humid conditions, other in different ones. it's just one thing all of them had in common: huge pain for an hour. i luv it and i hope it's back

for me jensie's hour was pretty good but i personally rate it of course as the weakest probably since lucien petit-breton i guess. i admit that i don't rate as very high performance: the obree ones(even if he's genius innovator and i'm a fan of the flying scotsman), moser's, boardmans first one and even that of big mig. the expectation for indurain was 55 kmph and he didn't manage much

for me with the actual rules, the record is that of rominger at 55.291.
maybe in 10 years we'll see even boardman 1996 smashed even if it's hard to believe

jens_attacks said:
we should regard each record as something special in its own, imo

I will go one more step. If the UCI made a policy of changing the rules every decade, then you could reasonably compare a decade's worth of efforts. Denote the rule set the record was set, then you can actually model comparisons across rulesets.

Then the athlete-side knows what to expect from the UCI and can plan accordingly.

Solved!!! Next problem, world peace!!:D

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
way i see it, any top rider with modern gear was going to break this record with ease

however now Jens has done it, he's created a new benchmark to reboot more of these attempts in the near future

so when Cancellara, Wiggins, Froome, Martin or whoever decide to go for it, they'll have a challenging time to chase

will be a new UCI event, more sponsorship, publicity etc etc

Echoes said:
However I'm still sincerely interested in how you convert the 56,375km by Boardman on his irregular bike into 51,100km on a regular bike.

I insist because you are well informed about wattage (from other threads).

I know from reading the papers I mentioned that Boardman 1996 produced 442 watts, while Boardman 2000 produced 403 watts.

Now, how do I calculate the distance he would have covered in 2000 had he been able to produce 442 watts like he did in 1996?

Well, as you know, the aero watts needed to get moving through air go up like the third power of the velocity.

If you neglect rolling resistance to get a rough idea, you take 442/403 = 1.097 and raise that to the power 1/3 (inverse of 3).
1.097^1/3 = 1.031

To go 3.1% faster you need to exert 9.7% more power.

Now 49.441 times 1.031 = 50.988 km about 51 km.

If you do a slightly more refined estimate using data in Peter Keen's paper you get 51.1 km, hardly different from 51.0 km.

Le breton said:
I know from reading the papers I mentioned that Boardman 1996 produced 442 watts, while Boardman 2000 produced 403 watts.

Now, how do I calculate the distance he would have covered in 2000 had he been able to produce 442 watts like he did in 1996?

Well, as you know, the aero watts needed to get moving through air go up like the third power of the velocity.

If you neglect rolling resistance to get a rough idea, you take 442/403 = 1.097 and raise that to the power 1/3 (inverse of 3).
1.097^1/3 = 1.031

To go 3.1% faster you need to exert 9.7% more power.

Now 49.441 times 1.031 = 50.988 km about 51 km.

If you do a slightly more refined estimate using data in Peter Keen's paper you get 51.1 km, hardly different from 51.0 km.

That sounds about right, although using a power of ~ 2.7 instead of 3 is usually a little closer for a quick and dirty calculation. Give me the power and distances again and I'll put it through my mincer.

Then also we can look at what he could have done at altitude in Mexico with lower air density and some power reduction estimates....