• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the jersey discussion revisited

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
So with le tour over its time to look at some of the discussions. One thing that stood was that most of the jersey systems are rubbish. So here is my comprehensive jersey update based on talked about points and some of my own.. Feel free to add your own.

Overall

Yellow jersey - as is
Golden jersey - awarded to the moral victor of the race

Mountain climbing

Polka dot jersey - as is
Polka diamond jersey - awarded for the last climb only, but do not count unless the rider is top 10 in the GC
King of the hills - awards for cat3/4 climbs
King of the bridges - awarded for humpy bridges
Sawtooth jersey - awarded by popular vote on day 1, this is a stylised profile on the cat 1 climbs of the years tour

Sprinter/Points

Khaki jersey - this awarded as the current green jersey actually the most militant point chaser
Red jersey - most points from intermediate sprints after a cat 1 or higher climb
Pink jersey - most points from sprints before a cat 1 or higher climb, pink because the winner is not man enough for red
Green jersey - most sprint wins but only on stages the sprinters won't get dropped because otherwise it would be unfair

Youth

Off white jersey - new colour for the white jersey, because after youve done it once you really shouldn't be wearing white
White jersey - for the best place u23 rider on the GC unlikely to ever achieve anything at the TDF

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see a return of the combination jersey, or was that only during the Vuelta? anyway that would be a great addition

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
hoolaparara said:
So with le tour over its time to look at some of the discussions. One thing that stood was that most of the jersey systems are rubbish. So here is my comprehensive jersey update based on talked about points and some of my own.. Feel free to add your own.

Good work I think you have covered nearly all of them...... but how could you forget the most prestigious prize... the team classification??? it's like the most important thing in the race you know... I think they should all get yellow jerseys whilst the gc leader only gets the yellow number.... sounds fair to me.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
"Star" Jersey for the person with the most minutes of TV coverage. Consists of a montage of pictures of the riders face grinning inanely.

Not really przes but:

All riders that come back from doping bans need to wear a large illuminated syringe on the top of their helmets for their first year back.

L plates for anyone who causes a crash.

A

Anonymous

Bright Orange Jersey: (Bright orange so that other riders will be able to pick them out easily) Awarded to the team that spends the most time crashing...oh, wait....

saganftw said:
just give every rider his own jersey,i believe they all deserve some sort of apreciantion like "best dad" (jens voigt),"most awfull pedaling" (the cofidis guy,cannot remember name),"best header" (renshaw),"most oiled commercial" (pozzato):D

most annoying commercial (Tyler Farrar), best mullet (Karpets), most impressive visible schlong(???), most unimpressive invisible schlong (????), best fight (Costa & Barredo), Person who looks in the most pain (Sorenson), most overhyped rider (Wigans), Craziest name (????),

saganftw said:
just give every rider his own jersey,i believe they all deserve some sort of apreciantion like "best dad" (jens voigt),"most awfull pedaling" (the cofidis guy,cannot remember name),"best header" (renshaw),"most oiled commercial" (pozzato):D

Jens would have the GameBoy Champion of the World jersey.

One thing that would improve the KoM jersey without adding diamonds and restrictions on who is elligible is to apply score multipliers for winning points day after day. Like bowling, where several strikes in a row net you points beyond those actually earned.

So a guy goes on a one-day tear and masses some points. That's fine. But the guys who are climbing at the fore every day will still accumulate more points b/c their consistency will be rewarded with additional points for each consecutive day in which they score in the KoM.

mr. tibbs said:
Jens would have the GameBoy Champion of the World jersey.

One thing that would improve the KoM jersey without adding diamonds and restrictions on who is elligible is to apply score multipliers for winning points day after day. Like bowling, where several strikes in a row net you points beyond those actually earned.

So a guy goes on a one-day tear and masses some points. That's fine. But the guys who are climbing at the fore every day will still accumulate more points b/c their consistency will be rewarded with additional points for each consecutive day in which they score in the KoM.

Or like in World Touring Cars, make them carry success ballast. Ok, so you were first up the Glandon? Here's your 5kg success ballast. Have fun on the Ventoux tomorrow!

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
A grey jersey for the least combative rider. - Brazkovic springs to mind, also most of the Milram team

blood red Jerseys for the most doped team.. Cant make my mind up who qualifies for this at the moment.

Brown jersey for the plucky no hopers team bottom of team gc...

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
fleshtone jersey with a giant black footprint on it: first time tour rider's jersey.

press_kit_full_team_portrait_600.jpg

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Way too many jerseys. You'd need a spreadsheet when you're watching to cross-reference the jersey's.

And on some old TV's off white is a standard color! :D

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
SirLes said:
"Star" Jersey for the person with the most minutes of TV coverage. Consists of a montage of pictures of the riders face grinning inanely.

Not really przes but:

All riders that come back from doping bans need to wear a large illuminated syringe on the top of their helmets for their first year back.

L plates for anyone who causes a crash.

I like a big scarled "D" on the back of their jersey for the resto of their career. Nobody should ever be able to forget they were once suspended for doping.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
"seniors" jersey... highest placed rider over the age of 35.

It would be gray or silver of course. Anyone who dies their hair gray prior to the race gets 10 bonus seconds in the competition (naturally gray get 20).

This year's top 5:
1. Chris Horner, Radioshack 38
2. Levi Leipheimer, Radioshack 36
3. Andreas Kloden, Radioshack 35
4. Alexandre Vinokourov, Astana 36
5. Carlos Sastre, Cervelo 35

Roland Rat said:
Invisible Jersey for the team that did nothing.

Now... that would be interesting! :cool:

Thoughtforfood said:
Bright Orange Jersey: (Bright orange so that other riders will be able to pick them out easily) Awarded to the team that spends the most time crashing...oh, wait....

A-ha!! I knew those jerseys had a function!

saganftw said:

Harlequin-checkered: Best crasher! (??? - But guys like... F. Schleck and Menchov springs to mind...)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

^That's hilarious! Well played.

Perhaps there should be a special "heart" jersey awarded to any rider that beds a podium girl.

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
eleven said:
^That's hilarious! Well played.

Perhaps there should be a special "heart" jersey awarded to any rider that beds a podium girl.

No no. A band of hearts around the sleeve, one awarded for every unique score.

TRENDING THREADS