• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 195 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We're not talking about him recovering from a health issue. He would still need to be fully fit to ride. But he can be fully fit to compete without having the full preparation needed to actually win the overall. People were saying that if he doesn't have the preparation to actually win the whole race then he shouldn't race at all and that is what I'm opposing. If you are 100 % healthy and are in decent racing shape then you better well show up to the biggest competition of the year when you are the biggest star of the team. Simple as that.
Simple is as simple does, and it's not that simple. Having functional lungs and mended bones are what's necessary to begin training seriously. Then you can build form to the point you can comfortably ride in a group, motorpace and the basic training to get race ready. Lab performances only take you to a fitness level; not a race level it is as simple as that.
JV is possibly the most valuable talent in cycling for GTs. It would be monumentally stupid to risk that asset if he's not fully capable to ride strongly enough to be safe. If he's strong enough to actually ride the Tour, how many JV riders will be dedicated to protecting his position in the pack although he's not racing for the win? It becomes a strategically practical matter when resources are divided to protect a non-winning plan. If JV comes to the pre-Tour decision that they don't have a podium finisher they may just treat it as a training race and fulfill their obligation to promoters: that would be a situation that a less than optimally prepared Jonas could race safely. Exposing him to crashes makes no economic sense for him or JV.

They can promote his future racing and get as much promotional benefit without risking his career. In fact, if Jonas is too optimistic there better be an adult on the team management that would suggest the Vuelta is the focus.

Any update on him?
Visma is rebuilding him stronger and better than before.

Qyburn-Robert-Strong-Game-of-Thrones.jpg

Followed recent updates and as fully expected with a pneumothorax still too early to know which direction the wind blows.
My best guess is mid June before anything thoroughly can be stated with evidence. But could be early July as well.
Think even best experts don't have any answers yet.
Which way the wind blows?
Sorry in such a serious situation to note an unintentional pun....

Considering it is nearly May there are 5 weeks of preparation time before the Tour. It doesn't look like time allows for crucial training to occur based on what we've been told.

Considering it is nearly May there are 5 weeks of preparation time before the Tour. It doesn't look like time allows for crucial training to occur based on what we've been told.
Given his injuries it seems like a stretch. But even if you assume the week leading into the Tour weekend is just tapering and not training, that still leaves 8 weeks of training available?

I don't know how you were able to miss my point.
And I dunno what 'pun' I've caused (?)
Didn't watch the stage, and it was blocked on VOD afterwards. Just read about the crash just post stage.

So you would say definitely 'nay' or how should I read your last sentence?
It's been a huge setback for him physically, but in my calender theres 2 months + 3 datmys to Le Grand Départ.

Didn't watch the stage, and it was blocked on VOD afterwards. Just read about the crash just post stage.

It's been a huge setback for him physically, but in my calender theres 2 months + 3 datmys to Le Grand Départ.
Next week we will probably know the answer. The team should do an update.

I still believe he can do it, but if he don't, focus is on the Vuelta.

Next week we will probably know the answer. The team should do an update.
With a pneumothorax I certainly don't expect
so many tangible facts at such a still early stage, which in my opinion is still rather early. Anything else will be dishonest of JV.

However, I expect positive news. This is what their marketing dept does for a living.
I still believe he can do it, but if he don't, focus is on the Vuelta.
Beliefs are much up in the air yet at these stages.

Pneumothorax....literally where the "wind" should not blow in a lung/rib injury. It's a bad joke but couldn't pass it up.