• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I read somewhere else that this was said in an HLN article (Belgian newspaper)
got it it was in het Nieuwsblad

Reactions: Berniece
Ok, a bit out of left field, but ok. Let us know when Sosa finishes a GT inside the top 10. Or were you referring to Sosa getting out of a contract to sign with Ineos?
a bit of both. But the hype around Chad was really high a couple years ago. I don't really see him doing much at Jumbo and his top 10 doesn't rate much with me. I don't remember anything about it except him complaining something about Vlasov from that GT.

Full disclosure, I am a Chad hater since his contract thing.

*edit - i actually remember him crying that he wasn't in the group chat. What a baby, maybe if he wasn't so unlikable the other lads would actually want to hit the pub with him.

a bit of both. But the hype around Chad was really high a couple years ago. I don't really see him doing much at Jumbo and his top 10 doesn't rate much with me. I don't remember anything about it except him complaining something about Vlasov from that GT.

*edit - i actually remember him crying that he wasn't in the group chat. What a baby, maybe if he wasn't so unlikable the other lads would actually want to hit the pub with him.
You remember him crying he wasn't in the group chat? You are in the group chat? Because as far as i know that was all made-up by a Dutch journalist.

Reactions: acm and Sandisfan

Chad?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Which I still find really odd, and I don’t understand the journalist didn’t say he was wrong after Cian said it wasn’t true.

Cause he probably actually got told something along those lines by someone who would benefit from a story like that. Just how it goed sadly.

And now 75% of the cycling world still thinks Bora are a bunch of bully's and Cian had every right to get as far as he could from that toxic place. Yk that's just how it goes, story's like that never actually get rectified in the mainstream media or people just don't care anymore. Fair play to Cian for actually saying it wasn't true, but the damage was already done.

The team doesn't have any expectations for him, definitely not after his lacklustre performance in Catalunya, but Uijtdebroeks himself is hoping on a top 5 finish and the white young rider jersey. That last one he'll probably have to battle out with Tiberi.

Personally I can only see him finish top 5 if he's at his Vuelta form, otherwise he should be happy with top 10.

The team doesn't have any expectations for him, definitely not after his lacklustre performance in Catalunya, but Uijtdebroeks himself is hoping on a top 5 finish and the white young rider jersey. That last one he'll probably have to battle out with Tiberi.

Personally I can only see him finish top 5 if he's at his Vuelta form, otherwise he should be happy with top 10.
In order to beat Tiberi or Arensman he must have improved his TT'ing ability substantially. With 70k of TT which is predominantly flat and favouring the big engines this Giro is, on paper, less suited to his abilities than last year's Vuelta.

Are we talking about the same Tiberi who finished 42 minutes down on Uijtdebroeks in last year's Vuelta (his best GT result)? Why are his goals/wishes so much more realistic than Uijtdebroeks'? Uijtdebroeks already showed he can battle for GC 3 weeks, Tiberi hasn't. Uijtdebroeks finished 7th in the Tirreno, Tiberi 27th. In Catalunya clearly something was wrong (as was the case with Kuss), so i wouldn't exactly take that as an indicator that Uijtdebroeks is going nowhere. It's quite ironic to downplay his Giro chances based on what happened a month ago, and now completely ignore Arensman's MIA in Romandie a week before the Giro.

Are we talking about the same Tiberi who finished 42 minutes down on Uijtdebroeks in last year's Vuelta (his best GT result)? Why are his goals/wishes so much more realistic than Uijtdebroeks'? Uijtdebroeks already showed he can battle for GC 3 weeks, Tiberi hasn't. Uijtdebroeks finished 7th in the Tirreno, Tiberi 27th. In Catalunya clearly something was wrong (as was the case with Kuss), so i wouldn't exactly take that as an indicator that Uijtdebroeks is going nowhere. It's quite ironic to downplay his Giro chances based on what happened a month ago, and now completely ignore Arensman's MIA in Romandie a week before the Giro.
Arensmans one week results are a terrible pointer for his GT results historically speaking tho. The man is a modern version of Kruijswijk.

Arensmans one week results are a terrible pointer for his GT results historically speaking tho. The man is a modern version of Kruijswijk.
And even in Tirreno and Algarve he wasn't that bad (5 and 6). In Romandie he was whack but he already said in an interview that he wanted to avoid to peak prior to the Giro. Only thing that worries me about his development is that his TT's are pretty sub-DSM level.

Are we talking about the same Tiberi who finished 42 minutes down on Uijtdebroeks in last year's Vuelta (his best GT result)? Why are his goals/wishes so much more realistic than Uijtdebroeks'? Uijtdebroeks already showed he can battle for GC 3 weeks, Tiberi hasn't. Uijtdebroeks finished 7th in the Tirreno, Tiberi 27th.
I was also fairly surprised when Tiberi claimed he had the realistic goal of finishing top5 in GC (and dreaming of a podium).
But considering his limited experience as a team leader and the fact Bahrain elected to send him as a captain while having both Caruso and Poels available, his numbers must be very good at the moment. Otherwise the team wouldn't be so confident.
Note that Tiberi told me his recovery is excellent and during last year's Vuelta he felt better and better as days passed. The route is certainly on his side, with the amount of TT kms and the abundance of 6-8% climbs, since he doesn't fancy particularly steep hills.

I'd say right now fans and bookmakers favor Tiberi over Uijtdebroeks partly because of recency bias. It's true that Cian was much better in Tirreno, but Tiberi has steadily improved race after race and looked excellent in TotA.

Everything considered, I reckon a top10 should be reachable for Tiberi in this field. Anything more would be a great result in my eyes. Uijtdebroeks likely has a higher ceiling but I'm not very confident after his first mnths with Visma.

Last year Uijtdebroeks performed well the whole year. He showed that he could follow sub-top riders, and improved during the year, ending with an amazing Vuelta.

This year, I don't feel he made that step forward and showed a similar level of performance. Which was to be expected after the winter he had, and the weather we've been having. I think he'll do fine this Giro, but I'm not sure because I have no clue at what level he's riding at the moment.

On Tiberi, he did have a decent Catalunya and Tour of Alps, so if Uijtdebroeks isn't 100%, I wouldn't be surprised he's able to contest the white jersey.