• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Lantern Jaw

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
2008885 said:
In that case, let's have some pictures that suggest change rather than the effects of lighting, angle etc etc

actually, in younger kids you are going to have change, as their bodies mature and develop

the other thing is that many Europeans have specific facial features. Cheekbones, lips, eyes. You can see a Romanian, a Latvian, and Estonian and see certain hereditary features. So that young girl for instance, might just be a natural looking girl of her environment. She's actually one person who might just be who she is.

another issue is causal and co-relation. as in, are these gold medalists winning because they are physically greater beings (and hence their body is more likely to demonstrate the natural hormones in their body and hence their jaws are likely to be elongated like the Male swimmer there), or, are they winning because they spent their formative years being a human pin cushion (likely even unbeknown to them)

Having swum against the national team in China (a long long time ago in the 80s) and knowing what I do, I really doubt this young girl has a clue what was put into her, and i am really sad for her through this whole experience

but im not sad for the girls who came 2nd and 3rd.

the whole sport has jumped the shark for me as an Australian. I see these young girls get out of the pool and burst into tears because they bombed out. yes, they choked. they failed and let their families and squad and country and friends down. One girl came 2nd and Stephanie rice had the audacity to come 4th. "Fattie" Liesel Libby lenton of what ever her name was even came 5th. What a disgrace, I am ashamed because of their failed performances.

Now of course clearly I am not. I think 4th in the world is incredible. I love the winter olympics because they finish and the guy who comes 17th goes off and is exstatic and the guy who is 4th is and the guy who is 1st is, and its like they all look at each other and say "hey, how good is this eh, lets go and have a dutch over". there just seems so much joy in the sports (of course i am sure it is very competitive too im not that naieve)

So Cadel 7th, Ogrady 6th, this girl 2nd, wow. How great is that I think, in the world!

And so if these girls are going to hop out of a pool and start crying on national television, my observation is what pressure are they under, or think they are under?

And the other message of the games is don't be fat either. EVER.

summary: big jaws likely to have meant they were under a regiment of PEDs

Final Note: If you ever mentioned a certain swimmers Size 17 feet- you were fired as a journalist - because your station or paper would never be given an interview again.

But Athletes from English Speaking nations don't dope, of course

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
2008885 said:
In that case, let's have some pictures that suggest change rather than the effects of lighting, angle etc etc

sorry, I am satisfied with the way athletes look to my eyes, some have this dovetailing of their image, because the bone structure, has overtaken their discrete features. Eyes, nose, mouth.

It aint about 3 nba players, could be a sampling error.

It is about an entire sample. of 2010 elite athletes, v 1980 elite athletes. So you can deny that there is a link between athletes with more testosterone when they were in the womb, to athletes now. Athletes talented in 80, should be athletes talented now.

I dont care about these three athletes. It is not about them as individuals. So the lighting and framing is insignificant.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
sorry, I am satisfied with the way athletes look to my eyes, some have this dovetailing of their image, because the bone structure, has overtaken their discrete features. Eyes, nose, mouth.

It aint about 3 nba players, could be a sampling error.

It is about an entire sample. of 2010 elite athletes, v 1980 elite athletes. So you can deny that there is a link between athletes with more testosterone when they were in the womb, to athletes now. Athletes talented in 80, should be athletes talented now.

I dont care about these three athletes. It is not about them as individuals. So the lighting and framing is insignificant.

Black,

Just my opinion, but I do think photos like can't be used to prove anything. Yes, their features are consistent with growth hormone, but they are also consistent with simply having strong bone structure. People's faces change as they age in any event, and lighting can mask or highlight things in misleading ways. It's way too subjective to be the basis of an informed opinion. There's a massive risk of a confirmation bias.

The one giveaway that can't be otherwise explained is the sixpack-on-a-gut stomach. But bone structure - I think that's a wee bit too tenuous a basis to use to form a public opinion as to whether an individual is dabbling in the dark arts.

KRISTIN ARMSTRONG - OMG !!
kristin-armstrong-savola.jpg

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Would be good if this thread leant more towards confirmed HGH users. Otherwise it's just a series of pictures of people with large (and not so large) jaws.

bettiniphoto_0058767_1_full_600.jpg

No jaw.

Anyone know about the natural occurance of acromegaly in people in their twenties (or younger)?

Also Wiki says that HGH use is linked to a decrease in stamina in sports. Are the benefits for non-sprinters maybe not totally clear cut? Is this a side effect which has to be compensated for elsewhere in a programme?

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Individual photos of athletes are virtually meaningless unless there's some ridiculously obvious change over a period of time and even then it could be natural change/growth as an individual changes from teen to adult.
Comparisons with photos of family members could be more helpful, some of these "suspect" features may well be genetic and Mum or Dad or siblings may have the same.

I don't buy the "lantern jaw" as some definitive form of proof. After all, it's almost a desired physical trait these days in the entertainment industry. Half the actors/actresses and models in the world have that look. I very much doubt they are all on the juice.

As mentioned earlier, this really is clutching at straws. :)

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
I genuinely thought this would just get closed.

I don't think it even belongs in The Clinic. It's clearly a self-deprecating satire of The Clinic... It is, isn't it? :confused: Tell me it is. It's got to be.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jalina said:
Individual photos of athletes are virtually meaningless unless there's some ridiculously obvious change over a period of time and even then it could be natural change/growth as an individual changes from teen to adult.
Comparisons with photos of family members could be more helpful, some of these "suspect" features may well be genetic and Mum or Dad or siblings may have the same.

stuff indicting an individual. Its a system. Even Armstrong is not the problem, its the system he exists in.

So care less about one kid with a big jaw. I do. I gotta larger cranium too. No pituitary hormonal probs neither. Not slavic or african cheekbones.

If you care less about allegations of one athlete, take an entire sample from the 1980s. And then an entire sample from 2010.

Assuming the peloton will be the same mix of races (run with this)

Then compare. Has the pelotons collective heads increased in size?

If its good for JV to talk about growing foreheads, its good for the gander eh.

One caveat: I dont think Arnie Schwarzenegger had access to hgh, but the steroids he took, built a massive head. I would be circumscribed to believe that as a 16yo, his skull as a 35yo was supposed to be that size without exogenous hormones.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Compare the bodies of today's champion swimmers with the champions of the early '60s. Today's swimmers look much more like NFL lineman.

It's a chemical freak show, cheer-led by NBC.

Or compare the women 100 meter runners of today with Ben Johnson. There is no difference. As you said, a freak show...