• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Lowe Down on Vaughters (aka Knight of the Ethical Objectivity round table)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Vaughters in a tweet

Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton Dec 8
Vaughters describes Pierre Rolland in a recent @Cyclingnewsfeed podcast as a 'tough kid' and 'l'enfant terrible'.

Pierre Rolland is 30

The BS continues.....

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol!

Off topic: Cillian Kelly is having a good run with two excellent pieces on Walsh and now on Sky transparency.
I've never really followed him, but he seems worth the follow.

Re: Re:

Nick C. said:
I saw that article. I don't see it now, it must be archived. Was he not targeting Levi and Danielson because of some sort of loyalty issues to them or because he couldn't beat them?
Article is here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/retired-gaimon-goes-to-work-toppling-doping-tainted-strava-koms/.

Benotti69 said:
Gaimon goes after strava KOMs by a known amateur doper but wont challenge Levi's or Danielson's KOMs?

Soap tattoo is a front!
Quote from the article: "The most notable former Thorfinn-Sassquatch trophies that now sit on Gaimon's Strava mantle include the climbs up Mandeville and Mt. Wilson. He also took the Latigo climb from longtime KOM holder Levi Leipheimer, another former pro with a doping past.

"Mandeville was the white whale," Gaimon said. "That one took me several tries. Mt. Wilson is a good one, and Latigo. A lot of people have been trying that one. I heard Hincapie did a full team effort at one of their camps and couldn't do it.""

Check on Strava:
True Latigo Climb (Not part way, half way but all the way)

Rank Name Speed Power VAM Time
1 Phil Gaimon 26.7km/h 354W 1085 33:24
2 Levi Leipheimer 26.6km/h 346W Powermeter 1081 33:33
3 Thorfinn S. 26.1km/h 355W 1063 34:07

Any other questions about beating Levi's KOMs? And if you start saying that you meant those other ones, why should Gaimon be responsible for taking all of them only to please you? He set some goal and achieved it, he can not be expected to go and ride up all the climbs now in the US just to beat any known and unknown dopers... If you are so smart you can go and do it. You may deserve your own tattoo then.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

PeterB said:
Nick C. said:
I saw that article. I don't see it now, it must be archived. Was he not targeting Levi and Danielson because of some sort of loyalty issues to them or because he couldn't beat them?
Article is here http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/retired-gaimon-goes-to-work-toppling-doping-tainted-strava-koms/.

Benotti69 said:
Gaimon goes after strava KOMs by a known amateur doper but wont challenge Levi's or Danielson's KOMs?

Soap tattoo is a front!
Quote from the article: "The most notable former Thorfinn-Sassquatch trophies that now sit on Gaimon's Strava mantle include the climbs up Mandeville and Mt. Wilson. He also took the Latigo climb from longtime KOM holder Levi Leipheimer, another former pro with a doping past.

"Mandeville was the white whale," Gaimon said. "That one took me several tries. Mt. Wilson is a good one, and Latigo. A lot of people have been trying that one. I heard Hincapie did a full team effort at one of their camps and couldn't do it.""

Check on Strava:
True Latigo Climb (Not part way, half way but all the way)

Rank Name Speed Power VAM Time
1 Phil Gaimon 26.7km/h 354W 1085 33:24
2 Levi Leipheimer 26.6km/h 346W Powermeter 1081 33:33
3 Thorfinn S. 26.1km/h 355W 1063 34:07

Any other questions about beating Levi's KOMs? And if you start saying that you meant those other ones, why should Gaimon be responsible for taking all of them only to please you? He set some goal and achieved it, he can not be expected to go and ride up all the climbs now in the US just to beat any known and unknown dopers... If you are so smart you can go and do it. You may deserve your own tattoo then.

Gaimon beating dopers, hmmm fishy. As i said a tattoo means little.

Benotti69 said:
I thought you read that article. He basically responds to you in it:
Of course, no good deed goes unpunished, and some of the feedback Gaimon has encountered since he started his Strava effort has been negative, alleging that if he's beating the times of a rider with a doping past, he must be doping himself. He characterised the feedback as "funny," because the accusations are a first for him after more than a decade of racing in some of the world's hardest events.

"They didn't accuse me of doping when I beat Chris Horner up a climb?" Gaimon asks incredulously. "They put these Strava's at such a high level in their heads. There's no sense of what the local hero is relative to the real world. I did 500 things in races this year that are way more impressive than the Stravas I've taken.

"So if you're gong to accuse me of doping, let it be because I shredded the field up Gibraltar at Tour of Cali, not because I beat some chump 35-year-old cheater on Mandeville. But that's what the perception is. I hadn't had anyone accuse me of doping until the last two weeks. It's been multiple times."
Although I am sure that if you knew that Gaimon was missing doping accusations before this, you would have happily supplied plenty of them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

PeterB said:
Benotti69 said:
Of course, no good deed goes unpunished, and some of the feedback Gaimon has encountered since he started his Strava effort has been negative, alleging that if he's beating the times of a rider with a doping past, he must be doping himself. He characterised the feedback as "funny," because the accusations are a first for him after more than a decade of racing in some of the world's hardest events.

"They didn't accuse me of doping when I beat Chris Horner up a climb?" Gaimon asks incredulously. "They put these Strava's at such a high level in their heads. There's no sense of what the local hero is relative to the real world. I did 500 things in races this year that are way more impressive than the Stravas I've taken.

"So if you're gong to accuse me of doping, let it be because I shredded the field up Gibraltar at Tour of Cali, not because I beat some chump 35-year-old cheater on Mandeville. But that's what the perception is. I hadn't had anyone accuse me of doping until the last two weeks. It's been multiple times."
Although I am sure that if you knew that Gaimon was missing doping accusations before this, you would have happily supplied plenty of them.

I have always felt Gaimon was a fraud. He put a soap tattoo on his arm and rode for a doper with other dopers.

Called him on it loads before. I have not seen his lambasting of Danielson, but no doubt you will post it. You wanna ride WT you need to dope.

Benotti69 said:
PeterB said:
Benotti69 said:

I have always felt Gaimon was a fraud. He put a soap tattoo on his arm and rode for a doper with other dopers.

Called him on it loads before. I have not seen his lambasting of Danielson, but no doubt you will post it. You wanna ride WT you need to dope.

This no doubt is true, but it has nothing to do with Strava. With Strava you can take your time attacking the kom's when your feeling great, not trying if you're tired ect. Anyone can ride well up one climb at a time.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Jspear said:
Benotti69 said:
PeterB said:
Benotti69 said:

This no doubt is true, but it has nothing to do with Strava. With Strava you can take your time attacking the kom's when your feeling great, not trying if you're tired ect. Anyone can ride well up one climb at a time.

you can also do strava with a motor........

Benotti69 said:
Jspear said:
Benotti69 said:
PeterB said:
Benotti69 said:

you can also do strava with a motor........

Of course one could, but you don't have to. There is a good handful of people out there that can beat pro riders strava times.

Nick C. said:
Benotti69 said:

Soap tattoo is a front!

No, because he's going after the local KOM's near his house, which is hundreds of miles away from both Levi and TommyD's stomping grounds.

Jspear said:
Benotti69 said:
PeterB said:
Benotti69 said:

100% correct - Strava is a point of reference for amateur riders, and even then it still has limitations.

I continue to LOL at the folks who support, excuse, or believe JV on anything he does or says. He was just as guilty as others for doping, and didn't seem to mind doing so, until he was busted and outeed as a doper. Then it seemed many somehow forgot what he'd done and ignored it basically.