• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "Maximilian Schachmann deserves a thread" thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I´m curious what he can do at the Tour de Suisse right now. Yesterday he seemed pretty strong.
Of course yesterday had been a puncheur finale, but I think also the high mountains at the Tour de Suisse could suit him. The only stage with longer and steeper gradients is stage 5. The gradients of stage 6 and 8 aren´t that steep, so I think he can do something here.

Probably yes. He never performed really good at long hills until this year. Paris-Nice was the first times he showed that he can be among the best at longer hills. That's why I also think he could do well at this years parcours. He also tends to be really strong after a long break.
He also needs to have some shape at longer hills because he is 100% targeting the olympics.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Probably yes. He never performed really good at long hills until this year. Paris-Nice was the first times he showed that he can be among the best at longer hills. That's why I also think he could do well at this years parcours. He also tends to be really strong after a long break.
He also needs to have some shape at longer hills because he is 100% targeting the olympics.
So his plan is to not even try to ride the Tour for GC, only as a stage hunter?

Yeah, I'm seeing it now. Strange, I thought he is riding the Tour still, despite targeting the Olympics.

I was asking because, if I'm not mistaken, he's yet to try riding for GC in a GT, despite being a very good GC rider in short stage races.

He has transformed a bit in that direction, the way I understand it it was always his dream but Quickstep didn't see that in him. Now at Bora he's turning into a GC rider, but they like to take things sloooowly. ;)

Well, I think they don't really now themself what he can do at a Grand tours GC. He will need a parcours like this year at the Tour. I don't think the muros at the vuelta suit him much. He isn't really world class at this longer muros.
But yes, there was talk from Bora and Schachmann that he will try to go for GC at a grand tours. As far as I know it is his dream.

Last edited:
And I think it's actually possible. What I find so interesting about him is his character. He doesn't seem to be moved much, very pragmatic, yet very fierce in what he wants (lol, I don't know him at all, that's just how he appears to me). He's not the enthusiastic kind who then gets pulled down by setbacks. So I think he has a very helpful mindset. People like that can push above their physiological weight. But of course in the end the body will set certain limits.

There are not much news. I think his (climbing) shape isn't great. I wouldn't be surprise if we see him in some groups in the next two weeks. The easier breakaway stages also suit him a lot. He probably realised that he couldn't win a stage finishing on a hard climb at the end. The tried to go in the breakaway at the stage Cort won.