• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The media's contribution to the Armstrong Lie

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The media's contribution to the Amrstrong Lie is not good for cycling. People are so easily persuaded by the media and what they say. In Australia we have plenty of Lance fanboys comentating and hosting our coverage of cycling. I would just like to highlight and incident with myself and Mike tomalaris

Please go away Danilo. You're a disgrace RT@cyclingweekly Danilo Di Luca to ride for Katusha for free - http://tinyurl.com/2e84gg3 #cycling

@miketomalaris But you will barrack & fawn over armstrong? At least danilo has admitted he doped.

@ACycling_fan Indeed. And so will millions of others. He is one of the reasons why the sport has reached global status, my friend....

@miketomalaris He has made the sport popular for all the wrong reasons. Read & listen to this compendium http://tinyurl.com/yfc932z (cozy beehives compendium)

@ACycling_fan Live a little, move on and smell the roses. Lance is probably the reason we both love the sport.

I am still awaiting a response. Another person on twitter and forum poster was also on my side.

I just think that with more people understanding the nooks and crannies of doping in cycling then governing bodies, teams & riders would have more pressure applied onto them for a transperent sport.

But because these so called 'experts' such as Tomalaris and Liggett aren't open to a wide source of information they are spurting out the lies of armstorng as well. What are the viewers going to believe then? Of Course armstrong. They aren't going to question any of his lies.

express your opinion on this issue and if you want bring up some of your observations of these types of incidents.

I find it interesting that at no point does he even attempt to refute what you say. He doesn't give any indication that he actually belives LA was clean. And yet he seems totally unconcerned by his own hypocrisy, which he openly embraces.

auscyclefan94 said:
But because these so called 'experts' such as Tomalaris and Liggett aren't open to a wide source of information...

Remember what they are paid to do. Provide color commentary over (typically) the UCI's video feed. They seem to be okay with everything that's going on enough to keep doing it. They aren't the first or the last to pretend in the face of blatant misbehavior.

Get a job at Disneyland or some other resort sometime. You are paid to pretend everything is wonderful. Are the people that work in hospitality 'wrong' for making everything nice? Same idea.

As for others and their denial, there's no reasoning with them. I'm actually the same, only I hold the opposite of the doping denyers/apologists. So, agree to disagree and move on.

A

Anonymous

danjo007 said:
you really are a boring person auscyclefan arent you.

Why is he boring because he confronts people who continue to purpetuate the myth?

pedaling squares said:
I like cycling because I like Lance. Lance is famous and famous people do no wrong. Nothing to see here. Move on, move on.

Lance is a celebrity and celebrities are better than us. Lance gets all the money and fame. Your just jealous.

- is a response im familiar with, when discussing how superduper amazing celebrities are.

auscyclefan94 said:
[/color]

@miketomalaris But you will barrack & fawn over armstrong? At least danilo has admitted he doped.

@ACycling_fan Indeed. And so will millions of others. He is one of the reasons why the sport has reached global status, my friend....

@miketomalaris He has made the sport popular for all the wrong reasons. Read & listen to this compendium http://tinyurl.com/yfc932z (cozy beehives compendium)

@ACycling_fan Live a little, move on and smell the roses. Lance is probably the reason we both love the sport.

I dont read twitter much so didnt realise the @s.

So i thought ACycling_fan was defending Armstrong by saying - Lance is the reason we both love the sport.

I was like "NOOO ACF what are you doing!!!":D

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The media's contribution to the Amrstrong Lie is not good for cycling. People are so easily persuaded by the media and what they say. In Australia we have plenty of Lance fanboys comentating and hosting our coverage of cycling. I would just like to highlight and incident with myself and Mike tomalaris

Please go away Danilo. You're a disgrace RT@cyclingweekly Danilo Di Luca to ride for Katusha for free - http://tinyurl.com/2e84gg3 #cycling

I am still awaiting a response. Another person on twitter and forum poster was also on my side.

I just think that with more people understanding the nooks and crannies of doping in cycling then governing bodies, teams & riders would have more pressure applied onto them for a transperent sport.

But because these so called 'experts' such as Tomalaris and Liggett aren't open to a wide source of information they are spurting out the lies of armstorng as well. What are the viewers going to believe then? Of Course armstrong. They aren't going to question any of his lies.

express your opinion on this issue and if you want bring up some of your observations of these types of incidents.

I find auscyclefan94 curious. His man luv for Cattle Evens is sweet and refreshing. I will think of him when I enjoy Mr. Lance and Mr. Di Lucca powering.

danjo007 said:
you really are a boring person auscyclefan arent you.

143qf7n.jpg

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
How is he boring? How can you judge anybody with your head up you ****?

how bout he and you post up your email address or twitter or whatever some random nobody can start hassling you with their stupid opinions.

get a life

So basically Tomolaris (through the omission of any rebuttal) accepts that Lance Armstrong was a doped cyclist, but feels that it's OK because of the so called contribution he made to improving the wider appeal of professional cycling?

Perhaps Tomo could tell us then, where we draw the line between "bad doper" and "good doper" how much do you have to increase the popularity of the sport to become a "good doper"? I wonder if Tomolaris also thinks that dopers should only be sanctioned if they aren't big financial contributors to the sport (i.e. the UCI approach).

He's a McQuaid clone, but just a little more passive.

Lance has never doped, Di Luka has.

Lance likes to eat meat so the Vegans can hate him too.

Di Luka eats meat also, so does Cadel Evens.

Lets spread the hate, there must be more groups that can hate Lance also.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Remember what they are paid to do. Provide color commentary over (typically) the UCI's video feed. .

Unbelievable what you think you know. Just another example of declarations with great authority. THE UCI does not own the broadcast rights nor pay for the production nor contract with the broadcaster except at the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS which is the race they own. They may have some rights to the feed but the feed is not theirs nor are the camera men.
Most of the feed from those cameras is provided to each broadcaster for their production teams what ever the language.

Aussie
there is still the slight problem that no one "OFFICIALLY" agrees with you. LA has yet to be found guilty of a doping offence regardless of your conviction.

Master50 said:
there is still the slight problem that no one "OFFICIALLY" agrees with you. LA has yet to be found guilty of a doping offence regardless of your conviction.

But why should that necessarily be the deciding factor for a rational mind with access to copious amounts of information. Does an official sanction somehow change everything - does that turn someone's beliefs from one of deifying Armstrong to labeling him "a disgrace" (to use Tomolaris' words). Surely Tomolaris has enough personal conviction to be able to make a decision one way or another without needing the UCI to determine his beliefs. But I'm not sure this matters specifically in this case as Tomolaris doesn't deny that LA was a doper.

Of course "Tomo" is not exclusive in this group, Dave Harmon seems to express similar views (although is less extreme both to dopers and to Lance). At least Phil Liggett is a doping apologist across the board and it doesn't matter if it's Lance or Vino or Contador.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So i thought ACycling_fan was defending Armstrong by saying - Lance is the reason we both love the sport.

I was like "NOOO ACF what are you doing!!!
LOL, I thought the very same at first. "Someone got to him! Wtf!?"

But all is well. :)

auscyclefan94 said:
The media's contribution to the Amrstrong Lie is not good for cycling. People are so easily persuaded by the media and what they say.

...express your opinion on this issue and if you want bring up some of your observations of these types of incidents.
I have a good one from last week at work. A couple of loud-mouth college basketball aficionados were heavily engaged in a sporting debate. Apparently they couldn't stand my refusal to even acknowledge them. So one of them began to taunt me with cycling remarks and "conspiracy theories." The other one, completely ignorant of the sport, jumped in right away and proclaimed, "Oh, you must be one those guys that thinks Lance used drugs!"
I admit it, my sarcastic smile betrayed me. :rolleyes:

He then launched into a missive about how, "Lance must be the smartest person in the world then? Is that what you're saying! You mean to tell me that he somehow figured out how to fool aaaallll those testers? C'mon, those guys are tested before every single race, and probably afterward too. You think he magically found some secret that no one else has?"

I just looked at him and asked, How many times did Marion Jones test positive? How many times did Floyd Landis test positive prior to 2006?

"I DON'T KNOW!!!" (I believe he thought I was asking him an arcane trivia question to which the answer was a very, very high number :confused:)

He then launched into this classic tirade:

"So if Lance was cheating, for all those years, how come no one has every come forward and accused him directly?"

I asked him if a close teammate would qualify

"Who?!"

Floyd Landis

"Did he ever claim to actually see Lance take drugs?"
Yes
"Was he ever in the same room as Lance when this happened?"
Yes
"You're trying to tell me that he was in the same room, at the same time, as Lance Armstrong, and he personally saw him taking drugs?"
Yes

........"Oh. OK, and I suppose you think the government took the down the World Trade Centers too?" :mad:

I stared.

He walked away...

True story.

Sorry for the length of all this, but I think it illustrates quite clearly the mindset of much of the general public. (And mind you, I don't judge them for it. They don't follow the sport so how would they know the details? They only see the Radio Shack and Nike commercials)

But to so defiantly take a stance against accusations that are becoming more public by the day only further illustrates just how truly shocking this is going to be to the average John/Jane Doe when the walls come tumbling down.

And while I'm at it: When people come on here and cast out the "hater" label. Why do they think that that is something that I would hide from?
I hate StrongArm for all his lies, deception and manipulation. Clear enough?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
So basically Tomolaris (through the omission of any rebuttal) accepts that Lance Armstrong was a doped cyclist, but feels that it's OK because of the so called contribution he made to improving the wider appeal of professional cycling?

Perhaps Tomo could tell us then, where we draw the line between "bad doper" and "good doper" how much do you have to increase the popularity of the sport to become a "good doper"? I wonder if Tomolaris also thinks that dopers should only be sanctioned if they aren't big financial contributors to the sport (i.e. the UCI approach).

He's a McQuaid clone, but just a little more passive.

A good doper is one who despises Lance vilifies him and has 70,000 pages of damning evidence. He(or she as a good dopers wife knowing what we know that wimmins place be in the home and wimmin racers be slow or dopers like that vile Jeannie Longo). A good doper is either angry, jealous or bitter. A super EQ good doper is all 3 AKA doper but nice guy, I trust him and forgive him kinda doper guy. A doper who wears a wire or races TTs in an ill fitting T now that is a super good guy Omerta breaking super EQ kinda good doper. Also another sign of a good doper could be on the lam from the french police but living behind a car wash or in the mountains of Idlewild. Good dopers give speaches on the perils of PEDs, they also write books that almost no one reads. (Except for the Lurkers who read about the evil techniques of) A bad doper we all know by his evil nicknames. He loves blondes having a nice Pinot by a lake with Bono his child and Bonos wife. Bad Bad, evil hex, silver bullet only stops kind of bad bad doper. Oh yes also bad dopers are born twins or guys who own centrifuges.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The reason I brought this up Is because I had just about had it with people who are very influential and brainwash people into thinking that this guy is a hero. I think if the emedia would come down and scrutinise theses athletes more then I think this sport would be more credible. I think EVERYONE wants more crediblity in the sport. Well that is what I want. I am sick and tired of people who don't have a clue about cycling who make misinformed comments about the sport. I just love how you want get any press on the sport when somebody has acheived great success but when there is a doping scandal there is a full page of articles about the issue.

I find it hypocritical of reporters that will scrutinise cycling but won't scrutinise other sports who have very poor anti doping measures yet look squeaky clean. But that is another matter.

Cycling has been a sport that has had doping scandal after doping scandal. Until people start to accept that Lance was a doper, a cheat & a liar the sport will never recover.

Even with the sport being embroiled in doping controversies, people still love the sport and more people are coming to love it. But people still musn't become delusional about what has happened in the sport and what is happening in the sport. The more cycling fans scrutinise cyclists the better for the sport. I think the Clinic can be a very 'gossipy' place but it also is good that it holds cyclist to be accountable for their actions.

Rant over!:D

flicker said:
Wustenzy khjayhdbs heybdt joonhgsn urtyresq uyen. Geiant eokmdplsy zcaewb yencybe bbeommfu nndgybs kkdshd kkre kowlwuxn jhdb ihs8tw, ywiabss sshdb wotmgunvcy dgdincjrub. Mni njshhi i;0f;pnj oksinf dubnsvqd hwudb. Hizbvafr zsbvs svbstsn shayn, farweusbs kwieydbu. Pgah7 aj qjhiyy rwtquxn. Tusnqx twodsmsh jspwid jwom siohw sqnisah.

:rolleyes:Well that's what I got out of it all.

TRENDING THREADS