• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Most Memorable Second Place Finishers

Andreas Klöden's 2nd into Le Grand Bornand 2013 (I guess unforgettable second places happen behind Rui Costa).

Shout out to Alberto Contador's overall results in Paris-Nice 2016 & 17, obviously.

Mader's being stomped more recently.

And Roglic being left gobsmacked at PDBF.
EiSnA85WkAAmSff.jpeg

Contador's insane series of 2nd places in 2017 deserves a mention. He finished 2nd in the gc of Andalucia (by 1 second), Paris Nice (by 2 seconds), Catalunya (by a minute) and Pais Vasco (by 17 seconds). Moreover he got 4 2nd places in the stages of these races. He hadn't won a single race that season before he won at his absolutely last opportunity, stage 20 of the Vuelta. Before that he finished as the first rider of the gc guys another 4 times but was always beaten by the break, including once when he dropped everyone else in Las Machucos by over 30 seconds but still only got 2nd because known doper Stefan Denifl finished half a minute in front of him after only losing a minute on the climb meaning he was faster than for example eventual Vuelta winner Chris Froome. If he hadn't won on Angliru this would have been so bitter.

Which was the season when we had Peter 2agan racing? Was it 2015?

I seem to remember a season where we was "mocked" by his run of second places but now that I look into it it doesn't seem so bad as he counted 9 wins (even more when comparing with recent seasons). But with 19 2nd places it must have been that year.

I enjoyed these rides a lot:
Sylvain Chavanel Ronde van Vlaanderen 2011
Fabian Cancellara Milano-Sanremo 2012
Vincenzo Nibali Liege-Bastogne-Liege 2012
Joaquim Rodriguez World Championship Road Race 2013
Tom Boonen Paris-Roubaix 2016
Alberto Contador Paris-Nice 2016
Alberto Contador Paris-Nice 2017
Vincenzo Nibali Giro di Lombardia 2018

Not second but this was very memorable too:
Fabian Cancellara's 3rd at Ronde van Vlaanderen 2011.

All these riders came very close to winning with exception of Nibali 2018, which was also a bit of a sentimental pick because of return from injury.

Klöden getting caught on the line by Armstrong and barely losing to Weening.

Vino in 2000 Olympics RR and Ullrich in the TT.

Contador second to Froome in 2013 TdF TT and that head shake he does after seeing Froome’s time.

Cavendish barely losing 3 GT points classifications.

Tony Martin second to Gárate in 2009.

Not second but Boonen third in 2016 WCRR.

Purito’s second at 2012 Giro :(

Valverde second at 2012 Vuelta after losing 59” in the controversial crash and Sky setting the pace stage.

When GVA was still called Greg Van Average before 2016.

Andy Schleck and what could have been if he didn’t drop his chain in 2010.

TRENDING THREADS