• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The much needed UCI loller thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think RHD is referring to how the Tour of Poland organisers heralded an arrangement with Boplan to use the big yellow barriers and other safety equipment in the races following the more than justified backlash after the finish in Katowice in 2020. However this year they used them close to the finish but still had finishes that were still not safe at all and not to uci guidelines.

Going by the location of most of the crashes in the race this year, the organisers should have placed the Boplan stuff in the first 300m or so of the final kilometre and then used the old rubbish stuff in the last coupe of 100m. It's possibly a slightly dark way of looking at it but the final sprints were actually pretty safe as everyone was spread out enough due to previous incidents and accidents.
Ok, i must have missed that.

Apparently TdP are claiming they were using the Boplan barriers this year as well.

Boplan and Tour de Pologne, another year united by commitment to race safety – Tour de Pologne

Nicely illustrated by a photo where they are clearly not using the Boplan barriers...
As you say, that's a terrible illustration, but they did right at the end this year and last:

WhatsApp-Image-2021-08-13-at-19.14.52.jpeg

Just seemed like a case of "Look at how 'terrible' those barriers are! Nothing happened."

Guess it just shows that sometimes autistic people can't detect sarcasm, sometimes we detect it when it's not even there...

I simply noticed the barriers during the transmission from London during the burial and thought of the barrier debate among cycling fans (in a quite different context). ;)

Reactions: RedheadDane
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/BenjiNaesen/status/1576669569254498304

Cro Race needs to improve safety, kinda BS tbh, shouldn’t be .Pro
EDIT- I realize my original post made no sense, and Benji deleted his tweet, but basically some Croatian social media post said Cro Race will be moving up to .Pro.
Although there isn't anything much on JVF's post, it's probably appropriate to include it here, with the lack of safety at the Cro Race.

The UCI also let the Ridelondon thing stay at WWT level despite the lack of tv coverage this year.

Although there isn't anything much on JVF's post, it's probably appropriate to include it here, with the lack of safety at the Cro Race.

The UCI also let the Ridelondon thing stay at WWT level despite the lack of tv coverage this year.
I realized my post had no fruit to it, but the reasoning is there. Every year Cro Race always has at least one dangerous finish.

That none of the sidewalk jumpers didn't hit the bowling-ball bombs on the side of the road was amazing. Lets see though: bowling balls...check, blind building corners...check, fans with bikes hanging into turn....check, unmarked road furniture just past a blind turn....check, railroad tracks....check. We did everything possible to cause a major wreck and it didn't happen! That validates not giving a sh*t about rider safety.

Lappartient is such an idiot… The cross World Cup CEO last week was very mature, and said: if people are skipping it there’s something wrong with how everything is set up, let’s look for a solution.

Lappartient: follow suit or we punish you

*** him
So let's ban someone that skips a race for a race from World Championships competition. This is so beyond stupid slavery for riders it is just the height of ignorance. If the riders' have any spine they should shut down the next race from the complaining promoter.

TRENDING THREADS