• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The much needed UCI loller thread

UCI%20logo%202015.jpg

Let the mocking commence!

I think a post-race fine/points penalty are probably more reasonable unless it's a serious breach that makes the result invalid.

I can get them not wanting an insta-DQ because that gives them time to review and there being an "on-the-road" result also allows the offender to appeal, but it's never a satisfying conclusion when that happens.

If they banned clip-on aerobars because they didn't want people riding in aero position in mass start races, it makes sense why they'd disallow this because if anything it's less safe.
It doesn't make sense because there have been no problems with it to my knowledge and it is a rule against offensive cycling, as it is a rule in favor of the peloton and against the offensive riders. It would make sense to disallow this when riding in a bunch, but i have never seen riders use this position in a bunch, only when someone is pulling the peloton for long stretches. Even if that is for some reason not feasible, then the real problem is that they take zero action against organizers putting dangerous road furniture in sprint stage finales and skimping on other safety measures and decent boardings that do more harm than good. It simply doesn't get more hypocritical.

If (and I accept that that is an if that merits discussion) DQ is to happen, it should be instant, because otherwise her presence in the race, which (if the rule is to be applied strictly) should not be, affects what happens in the race. If they do not act on it during the race (apart from incidents in the sprint to the line), they should deal with it by fine/suspension (or warning of future suspension) unless it is particularly serious.

I think a post-race fine/points penalty are probably more reasonable unless it's a serious breach that makes the result invalid.

I can get them not wanting an insta-DQ because that gives them time to review and there being an "on-the-road" result also allows the offender to appeal, but it's never a satisfying conclusion when that happens.

In what other sport is it acceptable for those enforcing the rules to take an hour to make a decision? I mean struth a game of cricket goes for 5 days and they only have a few minutes to make decisions :D

The problem with cycling is that there aren't really rules like other sports, they are seen as more guidelines, that gets interpreted and enforced randomly at the whim of some commissaire.

Another ship had sailed in the 2020 Tour of Poland... didn't do anything in the long run though. They are still using the same crappy boardings, and riders are still swerving and shoving.

And that's what annoys me. Last year it was a whole big deal about how they were gonna use those boplan barriers, seemingly to show they had learned. This year; business as usual.

That wasn't UCI, that was i think Flanders Classics, and they are using those yellow barriers i assume you are taking about.
I think RHD is referring to how the Tour of Poland organisers heralded an arrangement with Boplan to use the big yellow barriers and other safety equipment in the races following the more than justified backlash after the finish in Katowice in 2020. However this year they used them close to the finish but still had finishes that were still not safe at all and not to uci guidelines.

Going by the location of most of the crashes in the race this year, the organisers should have placed the Boplan stuff in the first 300m or so of the final kilometre and then used the old rubbish stuff in the last coupe of 100m. It's possibly a slightly dark way of looking at it but the final sprints were actually pretty safe as everyone was spread out enough due to previous incidents and accidents.

TRENDING THREADS