• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The much needed UCI loller thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lappartient is such an idiot… The cross World Cup CEO last week was very mature, and said: if people are skipping it there’s something wrong with how everything is set up, let’s look for a solution.

Lappartient: follow suit or we punish you

*** him
They seem to be targeting Nys with, this but what about the teams that sat out the first round ? The one on the Trek factory? The biggest bike company that seems to give a *** about cross anymore? Oh and the sponsor of Thibau and daddy Sven's team.

It'd be a daft rule if it was implemented. You can force riders to turn up for UCI-organised events if you really want to, but you can't make them race. Not without going all horse-racing on this and bringing in a non-trier rule.

Also, can the World Championships, in any discipline, really be considered the World Championships if the best of the best are told to stay away?

So this kind of looks like a toothless threat. At the same time, though, I do like that the UCI is publicly flexing its muscles just as a breakaway league is again in the offing. It's almost like a coded message: we make the rules, we can break you.

Am I right in saying that in the World Cup events each country is issued a number of places, to fill as they choose? So a rider just needs to tell the manager not to select them that week. Of course they will want to race on the Saturday if they are "not selected" on Sunday, and then see if Lappartient thinks he can tell national coaches who they must pick. (Yeah, it would be odd for a Dutch selector to pick Bailey Groenendaal over Van der Haar, but it is surely permissible).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Am I right in saying that in the World Cup events each country is issued a number of places, to fill as they choose? So a rider just needs to tell the manager not to select them that week. Of course they will want to race on the Saturday if they are "not selected" on Sunday, and then see if Lappartient thinks he can tell national coaches who they must pick. (Yeah, it would be odd for a Dutch selector to pick Bailey Groenendaal over Van der Haar, but it is surely permissible).
Aren‘t the World Cup races raced by trade teams?

• Wow

UCI is acting on Lappartient's threat about participation in the World Cup and World Cups​

“The World Cup is not a competition where you can choose what you want to ride. Everyone just has to participate.”

UCI is acting on Lappartient's threat about participation in the World Cup and World Cups​

“The World Cup is not a competition where you can choose what you want to ride. Everyone just has to participate.”
Idiots, we'll see what actually comes from this, I don't expect much unless they want to piss off the whole cyclo-cross community.

They think it's all so simple.
Primary reasons for the situation are:
Too many rounds of the world Cup
Too expensive for many teams to travel to races.
Cross has to accept that many of its top stars are now multi discipline competitors who race because they love the sport, but its no longer their top priority.
The French mayor can pontificate as long as he wants, but MVDP, WvA, Piddock, Peterse, van Empel, Anroy et Al will not compete in all the world Cups.
Tibo Nys appears to have been the catalyst for this outburst, but he also has a promising road career, most likely will become a big star.

If Push comes to shove they will all just ditch the world's as well.

Napoleon complex has taken over! Power crazed man wants to move races around on the calendar -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...d-in-october-as-uci-propose-calendar-overhaul
“Due to the corona pandemic, we were forced to move both races to October, but in the end the fans thought it was fantastic," Lappartient explains in quotes collected by Wielerflits, referencing both the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. "It's not that we absolutely have to do that again, but we don't rule it out either. The most important thing is that the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix follow each other on the calendar. After all, these are two races that require the same preparation.”

Lappartient hasn't exactly been the most popular figure in the cycling world recently following his comments on the Cyclocross World Cup. Whether these radical changes would appease his critics or incite them further remains to be seen but the President does indeed have big plans.

"Why not exchange Liège-Bastogne-Liège with Il Lombardia? Again: it is just an example, but you have already been warned,” he concludes, also mentioning the fact the Vuelta a Espana may move position in the calendar due to the Spanish heat.

Notice that "Napoleon" Lappartient has only mentioned one French race ... move the Vuelta?! When to November or back to the Spring? Has the man gone insane or just delusional or is this all some response to the One Cycling rumours? Does he expect cyclists to be at 100% from January to December or what? It'll be a good day when he's off to the French Olympic Committee if he carries on like this.

Notice that "Napoleon" Lappartient has only mentioned one French race ... move the Vuelta?! When to November or back to the Spring? Has the man gone insane or just delusional or is this all some response to the One Cycling rumours? Does he expect cyclists to be at 100% from January to December or what? It'll be a good day when he's off to the French Olympic Committee if he carries on like this.
Hey, if he gets the Vuelta and the Giro to swap places at least one good thing will come out of it (at least for the Giro and Italian cycling fans)

It makes sense to me weather wise, and rider types, that having the one day races in the Spring and then the 3 week GT's in the Summer. Monuments are for one sort of rider and GT's for another, but at the moment, the success of Pogacar has got people to forget that.

"Napoleon" was worried about the temperature in Spain for the Vuelta, but it can be just as hot in Southern France or Italy so that argument does not hold.

And there I think lies the unspoken problem of the fact that the Tour dominates the pro-cycling season like no other race. It's in the prime spot of the year in Europe with people on holiday, good weather and other popular sports (apart from tennis) in between seasons.

I think that the Giro will lose it's weather uncertainty charm if it becomes just a Summer time follow on for the Tour. The Alps in May are different from in August.
Lombardiia is a classic for climbers more then the Spring races so it makes sense that it's a last chance for the GT guys rather then having it as a training race for the Tour guys.

Giro would only gain value, just look at the Vuelta field for the last 10 or so years, practically every year is stronger than Giro. This year field was even stronger than the Tour!
I was writing about why I disagree, but that was a personal anecdote. Basically we need viewership numbers of both races. Will tell us which is watched more and has more value for the public. I think this is due to the Giro being the first GT of the season and not necessarily due to the prestige of it compared to the Vuelta.