• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't forget, after WVA's horrific TT crash in TdF people also suggested he'd never be the same rider again, yet he came back even stronger.
I have no doubt it'll be the same for MvP. A fantastic talent and he'll be back to become winner of RVV or green jersey in TdF or WC. I just hope he takes his time to get back.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
To be honest, I've seen quite a few comments like this; I don't want him doing everything to be back in time for those races. I want him to recover properly. Come back when he's sorted; if that means mid season, so be it.

To make myself clear, I just pointed out what I believe to be the most likely scenario which will be rushing his preparation and the recovery of the back injury to ride the cobbled monuments, its not that I support that because I don't know long how long it will take for him to fully recover

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
To be honest, I've seen quite a few comments like this; I don't want him doing everything to be back in time for those races. I want him to recover properly. Come back when he's sorted; if that means mid season, so be it.
As hard as it is to admit it, I agree with you. Even if he has to miss the entire year or more...as disappointing as that would be, at least we can enjoy watching him longer than a year or two if he properly gets the problem under control.

A lot of things going on...

This has to affect him mentally also.

Hope we will see him again, but might take some time.

At this rate it might be better to just sit out the whole spring and first half of the season.
As for the mental part, I'm sure it is killing him not being able to do what he does, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who worries a whole helluva a lot or overthinks stuff. Probably one of his greatest strengths (and sometime weakness) is his massive self-belief and ability to just get on the bike and race the wheels off it. My money is on him continuing to do extraordinary stuff for years to come.

My guess is MVDP is a lot less concerned about all this than the cycling world. He'll be back as strong as ever. As for cycling, it definitely needs MVDP. There's nobody like him in the sport.
Just for the sake of argument, Alaphilippe is similar in his acceleration and his balls-to-the-wall tactics, which is largely why MvDP is so fun to watch. Though I say the big difference in JA is in the Wolfpack so he has to consider his teammates more often, while MvDP considers nothing but power.

Just for the sake of argument, Alaphilippe is similar in his acceleration and his balls-to-the-wall tactics, which is largely why MvDP is so fun to watch. Though I say the big difference in JA is in the Wolfpack so he has to consider his teammates more often, while MvDP considers nothing but power.
Although I must admit there are similarities between these two, mostly in that attacking spirit and attitude, I personally see them totally different.
Alaphilippe is a bit of a show-off, he constantly tries to draw attention, whether he has the legs that day or not, and I must admit I find him a bit irritating.
Van Der Poel is not like that, he's letting his legs to do the talking. I don't know if it's his genes or what, but to me he is personification of a bike rider, like cycling is running through his veins.

Although I must admit there are similarities between these two, mostly in that attacking spirit and attitude, I personally see them totally different.
Alaphilippe is a bit of a show-off, he constantly tries to draw attention, whether he has the legs that day or not, and I must admit I find him a bit irritating.
Van Der Poel is not like that, he's letting his legs to do the talking. I don't know if it's his genes or what, but to me he is personification of a bike rider, like cycling is running through his veins.

Yea MVDP is a no nonsense kind of a rider while Alaphillipe comes across more like a little diva, He could easily cut all the BS, he doesnt really need it at all.

Im usually not in favour of the superstars of any sport, always rooting for outsiders to win but with VDP its different.

Now I don't know if he will comeback stronger. Back and knees (or any time joints are involved) are the kind of issues you might not recover from totally. With him his age might be somewhat deceiving, he has been around for quite some time already. I feel like mileagewise 26 for him might be like 30 for riders of previous generations.

I really don't get how Alaphilippe comes across as a diva. He's one of the few riders with some flair and obvious personality if that's what you mean...
A diva is someone who demands priviliges for themselves because they think they are more special than others... always wants special treatment... makes a fuss about things... Ala does none of these things.

I agree, another rider on his team comes to mind with what you just wrote though but that is neither here nor there.

Yea MVDP is a no nonsense kind of a rider while Alaphillipe comes across more like a little diva, He could easily cut all the BS, he doesnt really need it at all.

Im usually not in favour of the superstars of any sport, always rooting for outsiders to win but with VDP its different.

Now I don't know if he will comeback stronger. Back and knees (or any time joints are involved) are the kind of issues you might not recover from totally. With him his age might be somewhat deceiving, he has been around for quite some time already. I feel like mileagewise 26 for him might be like 30 for riders of previous generations.
True, he's been around at the top level for a long time - WC CX at 19. But the upside is that at 27 (soon) he doesn't have a GT in his legs. Crazy to think, but if this guys heals up, he could get even stronger.

3 longish rides in the last 4 days. Seems he's testing his back more seriously now. A good sign for sure. Even if it's born out of impatience rather than being 100% pain free, at least he's obviously not dying on the bike.

let's hope it all goes smoothly. We know MvdP can race himself into form pretty quickly, so i don't think the Ronde, Amstel and Roubaix triple is off the table yet. Strade seems too early, but he could perhaps ride MSR as an enhanced training ride.

But sunday, at the cyclocross in Lille, the reporter asked one of the teammanagers, Roothooft, if VDP was painfree. Roothooft had to admit that the back problems were admittedly less, BUT that MVDP was not painfree. And that he would really start training when he didn't feel anything anymore. So, I don't like those "longish rides". Because that way the back pain will never completely disappear. With vigorous training sessions, the pain will return quickly

But sunday, at the cyclocross in Lille, the reporter asked one of the teammanagers, Roothooft, if VDP was painfree. Roothooft had to admit that the back problems were admittedly less, BUT that MVDP was not painfree. And that he would really start training when he didn't feel anything anymore. So, I don't like those "longish rides". Because that way the back pain will never completely disappear. With vigorous training sessions, the pain will return quickly

That would make sense, given that the previous periods of 3-4 weeks of rest (after Olympics and after Roubaix) didn't fix the issue eiher.

Knowing him, it's certainly possible that he's forcing himself out of sheer impatience/desperation even though the pain continues to linger under a somewhat tolerable treshold.

He knows that if he doesn't resume serious training around now, he can forget about the classics.

He did ride a famous Roubaix with the same back problems, so perhaps he's making the gamble.

Can't he build up his base form doing other sports, like swimming? Which might not mess up his back.

Yeah was thinking the same thing actually while 'exercising' on the reclining bike in the gym today. There are so many ways to at least keep some stamina up. Sure it's not the same thing, but it might reduce his comeback time a week or two.

Then again, perhaps these casual rides he's doing now serve the same purpose, and it's only the real hard racing / MTBing / CXing that push his back issues to problematic levels. We'll know soon enough.

I donot think that the muscles of back, neck and groin can be isolated from the rest of the body like that of the arms/legs can be. There will be some sort of stress on the injured muscles irrespective of the exercise.

Is it the muscles that are the problem though? It seems more about the combination of posture and strain.

I did read a few days ago that after a couple weeks of rest he started aquajogging...

Seems like he's just trying to get in as much as he can w/o really testing thing with intensity. That said, looks like he needs a new HRM strap cause on that spin with his Dad he had a 148 average and 193 max - who knows, maybe he was riding a beach cruiser. As for his back, who knows how the body works with someone who delivers so much torque and power into the pedals. Not dealing with an ordinary human here.

Well, he's already training in Valencia, as he just uploaded a photo in Coll de Rates.
Not training yet. Just riding.... and still suffering "a bit" from the back. The latest news is that he will take a first training ride on Monday. If there is no pain response afterwards, he will gradually resume the training. Otherwise.... he will have to wait again, and his spring is certainly lost.

TRENDING THREADS