• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
lol triggered Belgian logic above here... MvdP wins but WvA has a mechanical "WvA was the strongest". MvdP has 4 mechanicals whilst being faster "WvA was the only one with the power on the right tyres and deserved to win"

Do you even believe yourself?
Well you probably do. No. I don't agree on the worlds part. I don't count U23 and in terms of who was the strongest at the elites it was 2-2, but WvA got lucky once, so it's 1-3

Better not react to that guy, I honestly never came across someone so deluded - all because of nationalistic bias.

Re: Re:

Der Effe said:
Better not react to that guy, I honestly never came across someone so deluded - all because of nationalistic bias.
That would be you though. No, nothing to do with nationalistic bias (at least not from my side), i'm a big MVDP fan actually. But the facts can't be denied. Van Aert chose those tyres because they knew there would be many punctures. Mathieu's entourage knew Van Aert was using those tyres, and why. They chose not to use them because those tyres made it impossible to go fast and needed a lot of power. This is all documented on video, so it's useless to deny it. You can't rewrite history and claim that Mathieu would have won that WC otherwise. He chose faster tyres that came with the risk of getting punctures. Van Aert chose the tyre that was slower but would not get punctured easily.

I think the videofootage came from the documentary "Kroonprinsen". But i'm not 100% sure.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He wasn't even attacking. Just riding a hard pace. And then WvA made a small mistake and from then on only lost time. Until it was like 30 seconds then MvdP took the gas off the pedal a bit and it remained 30 seconds
Wout's gear was in the fritz when he changed his bike as well.
Mathieu said he his anckle didn't bother him too much. I wonder how it looked after the race, because Adrie said that after the morning training, the anckle had swollen again. It's a pretty miraculous recovery by any means, the pictures of yesterday were really nasty and nobody would have believed it that he would start today, let alone win.

Can't wait for the classics. Is he riding any monuments? Flanders? Roubaix? Maybe Amstel? I heard he'd be doing E3 and Gent Wevelgem, but i hope he'll consider riding at least one of those as well. I'm sure he could win Brabantse Pijl if he started there.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Whatever races he does depends on what Wild Cards Correndon gets.
According to a comment i read elsewhere, Mathieu said he would not ride Flanders and Roubaix yet, due to the length (250k+)? Any truth to that?

So basically Correndon needs more riders in order to become ProConti, and then they have to hope for wildcards. If Van Aert goes to Jumbo after the cyclocross season, i take it that's an extra wildcard that becomes available.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He wasn't even attacking. Just riding a hard pace. And then WvA made a small mistake and from then on only lost time. Until it was like 30 seconds then MvdP took the gas off the pedal a bit and it remained 30 seconds
Mathieu said he his anckle didn't bother him too much. I wonder how it looked after the race, because Adrie said that after the morning training, the anckle had swollen again. It's a pretty miraculous recovery by any means, the pictures of yesterday were really nasty and nobody would have believed it that he would start today, let alone win.

Can't wait for the classics. Is he riding any monuments? Flanders? Roubaix? Maybe Amstel? I heard he'd be doing E3 and Gent Wevelgem, but i hope he'll consider riding at least one of those as well. I'm sure he could win Brabantse Pijl if he started there.
I guess it depends on the invites they get?

I mean. If they get a invite for flanders or roubaix it doesnt make sense to not go as MvdP

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I guess it depends on the invites they get?

I mean. If they get a invite for flanders or roubaix it doesnt make sense to not go as MvdP

I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Given his characteristics I'll be amazed if he ever wins Roubaix. Flanders should be doable one day. Amstel as well.

The team said they'd look for invites to Dwars and E3 in 2019. This was a month or so ago.

Really? Why would you say that? He's a great bike handler, he's got good acceleration, good power, and a very good sprint.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
I would be amazed if any cobbled race did not invite them. They have more wildcards than the GTs and it’s not as if there are tons of PCT teams offering better to organisers than MVDP.
Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.

That is completely irrelevant, because van Aert will ride for a WorldTour team or won’t ride the classics at all. Or is he gonna ride as a one man team? :confused:

jaylew said:
GuyIncognito said:
Given his characteristics I'll be amazed if he ever wins Roubaix. Flanders should be doable one day. Amstel as well.

The team said they'd look for invites to Dwars and E3 in 2019. This was a month or so ago.

Really? Why would you say that? He's a great bike handler, he's got good acceleration, good power, and a very good sprint.
And don't forget he's used to riding solo for an hour. :lol: so he can probably TT a bit as well

Dekker_Tifosi said:
jaylew said:
GuyIncognito said:

And don't forget he's used to riding solo for an hour. :lol: so he can probably TT a bit as well
Tbf those are two quite different types of solo effort.

Der Effe said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Like i said, if Van Aert moves to Jumbo in a few months, that's a wildcard that becomes available anyway.

That is completely irrelevant, because van Aert will ride for a WorldTour team or won’t ride the classics at all. Or is he gonna ride as a one man team? :confused:

Jumbo doesn't need an invitation. So the invitation Van Aert got last year, becomes available, since Van Aert's old team will either disolve, merge or lose it's best rider (Van Aert). So i think it's rather unlikely that Correndon plus Van der Poel would NOT get invited while VW minus Van Aert does. So Van Aert moving to a WT team, means that that invitation very likely becomes available for Corendon.
Unless VW is going to attract some other big shot for the classics, which i doubt.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Der Effe said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

Jumbo doesn't need an invitation. So the invitation Van Aert got last year, becomes available, since Van Aert's old team will either disolve, merge or lose it's best rider (Van Aert). So i think it's rather unlikely that Correndon plus Van der Poel would NOT get invited while VW minus Van Aert does. So Van Aert moving to a WT team, means that that invitation very likely becomes available for Corendon.
Unless VW is going to attract some other big shot for the classics, which i doubt.

What? The Sniper Cycling and Roompot merger, who both had invites last year, automatically frees a spot. But since Direct Energie signed Terpstra, they will get an invite.

From last years invited teams at the Tour of Flanders that leaves Cofidis, Sport Vlaanderen, the Roompot merger, Wanty, WB Aquaprotect and Vital Concept as rivals for a spot. Van der Poel’s presence alone will make sure one of these teams wouldn’t get invited, so why bring van Aert into the discussion? Even if he would be riding for Roompot-Crelan next season and their spot was secured, Corendon would get picked over one of the other teams.

Der Effe said:
Der Effe said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

What? The Sniper Cycling and Roompot merger, who both had invites last year, automatically frees a spot. But since Direct Energie signed Terpstra, they will get an invite.

From last years invited teams at the Ronde van Vlaanderen that leaves Cofidis, Sport Vlaanderen, the Roompot merger, Wanty, WB Aquaprotect and Vital Concept as rivals for a spot. Van der Poel’s presence alone will make sure one of these teams wouldn’t get invited, so why bring van Aert into the discussion? Even if he would be riding for Roompot-Crelan next season and their spot was secured, Corendon would get picked over one of the other teams.
Van Aert still hasn't signed at Jumbo as far as i know. So there is always a chance (still) however unlikely that he will sign for a different proconti team (since the merged team seems out of the question at this point) and remain in contention for a wildcard with his new team. So should Van Aert be going to Jumbo, it would definitely be relevant.
To be clear, i wasn't the one implying Van der Poel might not get invited for every race he wants to ride.

But if you want to argue a bit more, feel free.

So after his victory today he said the next training camp will be different than normal, he will plan more long endurance (6 hour) training rides then he would normally do (4 hour tops) to prepare for the road racing. He says he doesn't know his exact program yet because they are dependant on wildcards. They do have a bigger picture / plan but he can't say yet which races

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
So after his victory today he said the next training camp will be different than normal, he will plan more long endurance (6 hour) training rides then he would normally do (4 hour tops) to prepare for the road racing. He says he doesn't know his exact program yet because they are dependant on wildcards. They do have a bigger picture / plan but he can't say yet which races
Of the big ones, i'd like to see him do RVV, PR and Amstel. I hope he'll ride at least two of those.