• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 187 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van der Peol won 2 from 11 participation

Van Aert won 1 from 13 participation
Further to this.

Average monument finish position:
Wout 7.4
Mathieu 5.2
(6.2 and 4.4 if you remove the worst result for each rider)

Finishes outside top 10
Wout 3
Mathieu 1

Podiums
Wout 5
Mathieu 5

Either way you slice it, both have been very good in Monuments, but I think both would hope to have more wins by now. Before I looked I would have expected the numbers to be in favor of Wout, aside from wins.

By results only, you'd have to say, though, that Pogacar is likely to be the true monuments rider of this generation.

Many times the margin between first and second has been razor thin. It’s both a little harsh and also a wrong assumption that “Wout hasn’t won more races”. He is one of the most successful riders of the last couple of years. A bit like saying MVDP isn’t winning CX anymore (had he won in Zolder and Louenhout nobody would even think that).
But in 10 years we look at someones palmares, and then Wout's is not as good as MVDP's. At the moment.

But in 10 years we look at someones palmares, and then Wout's is not as good as MVDP's. At the moment.

I really root for Van der Poel and believe him to be one of the absolute (if not THE) best of his generation, yet the difference between him and WVA is really small. In CX Van der Poel has decisively had the upper hand until this season. On the road also but Van Aert seems to be catching up. Let’s review after the spring classics.

I really root for Van der Poel and believe him to be one of the absolute (if not THE) best of his generation, yet the difference between him and WVA is really small. In CX Van der Poel has decisively had the upper hand until this season. On the road also but Van Aert seems to be catching up. Let’s review after the spring classics.
This is only true if one ignores the Tour.

Reactions: Monte Serra
I think Wout had a better CX season in 2021 also...he won 9 out of 10 races in 2021 and only lost that one due to mechanical. Wout is the man!

Hopefully MVDP is just not posting his stuff right now. His usual training partners (Gianni V. for example) are posting rides. Maybe just taking a bit more rest and then do one hard block prior to the WC's. I could see him scrapping Benidorm and instead simulate the effort in training sessions that are predictable on the back. He's obviously a quick responder, so maybe he just comes into Hoogerheide completely rested and catches lightening in a bottle. He'll be jacked up to the hilt - especially with the crowd on his side for once. My money is on MVDP to win #5.

I think it is better to explain why it may be obvious, than telling people what they should and shouldnt write.

If people get told off they are likely to stop posting or dont want to take part in discussions. Is that really what we want?

It's hard to criticise people for policing without doing some policing yourself ;)

But in the end, it turns out that I should just acquaint myself a bit to the world of sarcasm.

Reactions: Salvarani

TRENDING THREADS